Help with buying a new gaming laptop

ThaHoward

Hi, is it someone here who knows any good gaming laptops that is out on the market right now, and what I should look for? Currently my only requirements are 8GB memory and in a fairly cheap price range around 1000 dollars or a little more (Norwegian prices). I am also not supposed to play super games, but I want a fairly good gaming experience and good experience with other functions too.

Currently I've been looking at Acer Aspire E5-572G 15,6" HD, ASUS Transformer Flip 13,3" FHD, Multicom Xishan W230S 13.3" Full-HD, Multicom Xishan W355S 15.6" Full-HD. Are these PC's okay, unnecessairly good or should I get some better?

Also do you got some more general tips for what I should look for interms of graphics, i5 vs i7 and so on?

Thanks for the help, and just ask questions if you want to know nore about what I am looking after :)

I can't help you on those specific graphics, but I can weigh in on i5 v i7 and graphics stuff.

I have an intel i7-3630QM quad core 2.40GHZ on my laptop, which is more than enough to run modern games. It is a little over a year old and was about $1000 CAD (~700 euros). From what I was told, whether or not an i7 or an i5 will perform better is mostly dependent on the program you are running. Programs that use only 2 cores will likely run better on an i5, while those run on more cores will run better on an i7. There are exceptions to this though. Honestly, unless you're real anal about performance, i5 v i7 probably doesn't matter.

Graphics card is extremely important for running games smoothly. I have a geforce 630M on my laptop and its pretty much shit. It handles older games (like stuff from 5-10 years ago - Civ4, SimCity4, Myst 5) fine, and modern games which aren't graphically intensive (mostly Paradox Interactive games), but it will simply not handle modern graphics. For example I tried loading my cousins Skyrim onto my computer and it was totally unplayable. I found this list helpful for comparing graphics cards though:

http://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?list=gfxLaptop

It also has listings of games and their requirements so you can figure out how good of a card you want.

Ah thank you very much :) I'll look into it later, and most prolly come with more questions.

When it comes to graphics cards you really need to pay attention to the series number. I'm far more familiar with NVidia cards so I'll talk about those. For a gaming laptop the second number in the string is the one you want to pay attention to. The x30, x40, and x50 cards are low end graphics cards. For gaming you need at least an x60 card which is where the performance graphics cards start. If you compare cards you'll see that a 560 or 660 outperforms a 820 or 830 by quite a bit. It's often better to go with a lower year card (500, 600, etc) than to get a newer card that is not specifically for gaming.

I don't know Norwegian sites to look up prices and I don't know how your prices compare to ours..

But, the Acer graphics card is kinda bleh. It benchmarks at about 1/4 the power of my card (which is a $100 or so card, so not really super), so it likely won't run much on max graphics. Mine runs most my games on max, struggles a little with a couple of higher graphic games. The ASUS uses integrated intel graphics... it's going to suck for gaming, unless where you're looking offers a different option in graphics cards. The multicom company I do not know, it looks like they are Norwegian cause their site is .no. But, thankfully their specs are in English! lol Those two on their site run GTX cards that benchmark better than my card, so good. You aren't going to be running Crysis 3 at max graphics (the 15.6" model's card only gets 18.9FPS in testing on Crysis 3, but that isn't bad for a budget card the 13" model's card only gets 14.2 .. on a game that is more reasonable on Bioshock Infinite the 15.6" gets 41FPS while the 13" gets 23.5 FPS), but you will run most reasonably graphical games at high settings (note: when they test these cards, they crank the graphics up to ultra settings in the games, so you'll get reasonable FPS if you aren't trying to max out graphics even in the those games tested). They also have SSDs, which also good, cause loading times are great on those. If the money isn't that big a deal, the 15.6" model is better, but the I5 with 8GB is a fine choice too. :)

It really all depends on what you're trying to run. For example, I play stuff like DCUO/SWTOR/SC2... so that's why I have a budget card, I don't NEED more than that. If you gave an example of exactly what you want your PC to do, would probably get more detailed "this is what you need" replies. Gaming is such a broad thing. FPS gamers tend to need better setups, for example.

I got my laptop from Best Buy for about $320 USD. It's not the best, but I can easily run games like Skyrim and Dragon Age 2 on max graphic settings with no lag and I generally run a lot of mods.

I don't have the specific link to what I got available anymore, but it has an AMD 2.0 GHz processor, 4 Gb RAM, and a Radeon HD 7640 video card. I'm quite happy with it, and I have pretty high standards for game playability.

Archived