Discovering Myself, Help

MadamGlitch

Hello everyone, I know that I'm not very active here, and for that I'm sorry. However, I am in need of your help to discover my sexuality. I don't really know if I'm bisexual or a biromantic asexual. Let me try to explain my situation, but it's kinda hard for me to do. Currently, I don't find any need to have sex and don't feel as though I need it. In the past (perhaps last year or so), I was interested in experiencing sex once to see how it was, but that was about it. Can anyone help me out here?

the bumbling rotifer

Hello MadamGlitch, I like your profile pic, is it toothless? :)

It's hard for anyone else to say whether you're asexual or not, since nobody ever truly knows what other people are experiencing, and also because people's sexualities are complex things, which don't always fit neatly into any one predefined box.

It's really up to you whether you choose to identify as asexual: if you feel that you can relate more to the feelings and experiences that you come across in the asexual community than you can with those that sexual people express, you may well wish to identify as asexual. But only if you want to! :cake:

P.S. sorry for the woolly answer, I expect other posters will be more specific than I am :P

Conscientious Ghost

Yes, I agree with the explosive rotifer. Although a lot of us can suggest labels and ideas, you have the right to self-identify however you feel that fits you. Heck, you don't need to use labels if you feel like your identity is too complex or hard to pinpoint.

Asexuality and sexuality are not black and white; some people identify in the gray (spelled "grey" in some countries) area between them. People who identify as gray-A can include, but are not limited to those who:

• do not normally experience sexual attraction, but do experience it sometimes
  • experience sexual attraction, but a low sex drive
  • experience sexual attraction and drive, but not strongly enough to want to act on them
  • people who can enjoy and desire sex, but only under very limited and specific circumstances

Similarly, some people who might technically belong to the gray area choose to identify as asexual because it is easier to explain. For example, if someone has experienced sexual attraction on one or two brief, fleeting occasions in their life, they might prefer to call themselves asexual because it is not worth the bother of having to explain these one or two occasions to everyone who asks about their orientation.

Here's a good place to start for your self-discovery The information I quoted is from the page is called Gray-A / Grey-A on the AVEN wiki. I hope you enjoy your quest.

Thank you guys. I feel better getting advice from you guys. From what you've quoted Imaginary Friend, it seems as though I could possibly be in the Grade A spectrum. It makes me feel better knowing that I'm not some weirdo that doesn't know where she belongs

the bumbling rotifer

Since nobody else has said it yet, I'll jump back in and point out that asexual people can still want to have sex - often due to curiosity, or to satisfy a partner's needs, or because it's fun. The key difference is that asexual people don't experience sexual attraction and / or intrinsic desire for partnered sex.

Say a heterosexual person was brought up in a world where there were only people of the same sex / gender. They may well want to have sex for the reasons above, but that wouldn't make them bisexual or homosexual.

Hope that helps :)

• 1 month later...

Since nobody else has said it yet, I'll jump back in and point out that asexual people can still want to have sex - often due to curiosity, or to satisfy a partner's needs, or because it's fun. The key difference is that asexual people don't experience sexual attraction and / or intrinsic desire for partnered sex.

Say a heterosexual person was brought up in a world where there were only people of the same sex / gender. They may well want to have sex for the reasons above, but that wouldn't make them bisexual or homosexual.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you, that does help out a lot

I don't find any need to have sex and don't feel as though I need it. In the past (perhaps last year or so), I was interested in experiencing sex once to see how it was, but that was about it. Can anyone help me out here?

This sounds pretty much ace to me. It doesn't quite sound like sexual attraction, more curiosity over what everyone keeps going on about.

• 2 months later...

And just to be clear about the difference between libido and attraction (just in case):

Libido: Body days NOW

Attraction: Body says THIS ONE

Asexuals by definition don't experience attraction but some do have a libido. Hope that helped!