inspiration at the grocery store

butterflydreams

butterflydreams

I was going to the grocery store (co-op actually, so always lots of hippies, and general non-conformists there), and there was a person walking in through the doors in front of me. They were definitely wearing female clothes. A kind of shawl thing, women's shoes, some kind of scarf, all pretty nice actually. And they had pretty long, very curly hair, kind of down and out to the sides. Just a very feminine appearance overall.

Then I saw their face and hands, which were not only very masculine, but also had beard stubble.

I didn't want to stare (and I didn't, because I'm really self-conscious in public and worry about myself way more than other people), but I was really, really fascinated by this. No matter what the angle was, it was awesome.

If it was a male-bodied person expressing as female, it was awesome.

If it was a female-bodied person with a masculine face and hair condition, still awesome.

This person was rocking the situation regardless of what that was.

I'm surprised in all my years, and all the places I've been, I'd never seen anyone like this before. If it was a male-bodied person expressing as female, that would be really exciting for me. Obviously, I know that's a thing, and I understand it, but seeing it in real life just really hammers home how possible it is. And how truly normal it is.

As something I've toyed with in my own head (expressing more femininely, that is), it's so easy for it to blow up into this impossible thing that "oh you'd never be able to do that because of this and this and this". But then, there it was, living proof, right at the grocery store. No big deal at all. Once I saw the store had my favorite sandwich in the to-go section (and dried mulberries), I completely forgot about the whole thing until I got home later.

So anyway, thought I'd share this, because I thought it was really cool, and I just love to see people rocking their thing like that. It gives me hope that maybe one day, I can get to that point, whatever that is for me.

Person, if you're out there, you should know, I was really inspired by you tonight. ^_^

* Please, please let me know if I've misused any language here. I'm still learning some terms and things and want to keep learning so that I don't inadvertently offend anyone. Thanks :)

Hi Pioneer, I had a similar experience recently at Whole Foods (whole paycheck lol). There was a person working in the cosmetic / lotion / soap section. I was intrigued because I could not figure out if the person was a male dressed in more feminine clothing or a female with more masculine features. In the end, I realized I didn't need to know, and I realized I was staring, so I went about my shopping. It just made me happy too to see someone who doesn't fit into the stereotypes just doing his / her / their thing. I also noticed that at least for the few seconds I was in that section of the store, nobody else seemed to care either :)

that is so cool! I was with my school in London last week and we saw a few boys wearing skirts walking, but everybody in the bus started making fun of them, but I felt so happy about that.

This is such a heart-warming thread :wub:

To all the non-binary presenting people out there: you're awesome!!

• 1 month later...

Cool and inspirational story !

Also you know them days where you think you wouldn't want to wear anything out of the norm ? Well why not just do it ! Your gonna build confidence to do it one day , but why not do it now ? No one knows you , ignore the haters and be confident !!

Archived