Is heartbreak over squishes a thing?

DaisyLiza

Hello!

So, I had kind of a major squish on someone, and we were good friends, but they were actually quite a bad person so I ended the friendship. Problem is, I kind of still think about them a lot, but I've never ever had romantic feelings for them, so I'm wondering if you can get as hung up over squishes as you can over breakups and romantic feelings?

Thanks! :)

I still think about my squish from high school from time to time even though that was like 8 years ago. I was really mad when they stopped keeping in touch with me after high school :(

Holy shit.

I still think about all of the friends I have lost touch throughout time.

Sometimes it aches a little, I say. I guess I'm getting melancholic as I get older.

Don't worry, it is super normal. :)

Feeling heartbroken is normal. You love them. It doesn't have to hurt less because they're a friend. Society says that friends are supposed to be less important than romantic partners or crushes. I would like to slap the idiot who was the first on Earth to think that.

Society says that friends are supposed to be less important than romantic partners or crushes.

Not to be so boring as to bring up ancient history in the middle of conversation, but throughout the span of Chinese history and culture, the relationship between two friends has always been considered more important than romantic connections. Now there are few who have valued family so consistently and genuinely as the Chinese, and they certainly always considered treating your spouse with respect to be important, but love is seen more frequently in terms of closeness between friends than romantic love, in society and in the arts. Just thought you might find that interesting ^_^

This happened with a close friend of mine. I never told him how I felt because I didn't what to ruin the wonderful friendship we have. He's 100% herteroromantic/heterosexual so I have a good feeling nothing is there to expand on in the relationship, yet the friendship is a lot closer then most. It took me months to get over the idea that we aren't compatible when it comes to more serious relationships. I'd cry almost every night after we'd Skype together. Then it hit me, I like him so much that i want to see him happy no matter what. Even if I'm not part of a bigger relationship with him, the fact I'm in his life as a friend makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. I'm there for him, and he's there for me.

EmotionalAndroid

Yes, this is a thing! I have almost the same story. I had a major squish on a guy and I really just wanted to be his friend and a good listener for him, but he ended up turning into kind of a jerk. I was really sad for quite some time afterward.

I did still think about him often, and I'll admit I stalked his twitter account. To my surprise, he actually said some mean things about asexuals on his twitter. He didn't know I was asexual, but still...

Thanks for all the replies, you guys! I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets like this - although, honestly, it does suck if you do. It's not a very nice feeling...

But still, thanks for all the information! I feel a lot better now!

Absolutely! This past summer I was quite down when a long time squish refused to even see or talk to me, so yes, breaking contact with (for any reason) or even being rejected by a squish can indeed be painful.

Archived