Asexual Awareness Week (October 26th - November 1st)

Chewy

Anyone or group thinking of making a splash for the Ace community? Any ideas?

verily-forsooth-egads

Ooh, I didn't know about this! I'll have to think on it.

I didn't even know this existed. Of that its anyone's business but my own, but I've always been very open with my friends. Maybe that'll be the week I come out as ace to my friends. A few of my closest friends and my sister know(all of them very supportive), maybe letting all my friends know can be a way of getting it out there that it does exist and maybe get some supporters for us.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I and a few others are in the process of writing a series of articles for the comedy website 'Cracked.com' that we'd like to get published during Asexual Awareness Week :)

I think it'd be awesome if we could get one published every second day during that week, as it'd really reach out to a very large audience.

If you'd like to contribute ideas for an article or help out with feedback, suggestions etc... please feel free :D

There is a lot you can do for AAW. You can come out to friends and family, or to an LGBT group. You can also create vis/ed material, like a poster, book, video, or comic. There are some more examples here. There are also some resources here should you need it. AAW is also a time to embrace your own sexual orientation.

I've been thinking about what I could do.. I'm out to most of my friends, and I may have no stable internet access for most of that particular week (due to travelling). So I guess my contribution will have to be changing my avatar to the ace flag and linking to some info for the duration of the week on a bunch of online sites I frequent, or something like that. The perils of being open about being ace are that I have no idea what to do for a special occasion such as the awareness week. I don't blog or anything, so I can hardly write some kind of article or something. Since I'm likely to be travelling that week, I might just end up showing off my ace flag and ace of spades buttons on my jacket and that'll be it :(

Oh I didn't know we had such a thing. Well depending on how my Gay Straight Alliance will react coming Wednesday (I'm going to tell them about my asexuality) I might tell them about this awareness week. Sounds like something I could participate in.

I've yet to come out to anyone really, and I'm not sure if I will to my family...but perhaps to a couple close friends. AAW would probably be an awesome time to do it. : )

thatotherguy57

I knew it was in October, but not which week. I'm supposed to be on vacation 26 October- 1 November. That's awesome.

Looks like the Taiwan Pride parade is on 10/25, and I'll be leading an asexual marching group, so there's that to look forward to. Never mind that it's one week earlier.

EmotionalAndroid

I just saw recently that there is such a thing happening from Oct 26 - Nov 1 (http://asexualawarenessweek.com/)! While I am not sure I can participate in the committee thing they have going on, I thought it would be nice to help spread awareness in my community on that week.

I have not come out to anyone yet and don't plan to anytime soon, but I thought it would be good for me to participate in some awareness projects for that week anyway. I was thinking about maybe posting posters in public bulletin boards (secretly, during the wee hours of the morning!) and maybe going to a local LGBTQA group and giving out pamphlets. Do you think these would be good ways to spread awareness for a super shy person like myself?

Is anyone else planning on doing anything for this week-long event? Am I misinterpreting anything about it?

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Hi! :) Thanks for creating this thread, please note that there is already a thread dedicated to Asexual Awareness Week here.

I've asked the Q&A forum Moderator (Heart) to merge the two threads and pin them in this forum.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Project Team

This thread has been moved from Asexual Q&A to Vis/Ed.

Heart

Asexual Q&A Moderator

EmotionalAndroid

Hey, sorry for making a double thread. I totally didn't see this one! :blush:

Anyway, I am thinking of making an Ace flag colored bracelet for myself, in time for AAW. Perhaps once I come out and am more open, I could give them out or something....

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Anyway, I am thinking of making an Ace flag colored bracelet for myself, in time for AAW. Perhaps once I come out and am more open, I could give them out or something....

il_570xN.634573452_e4fs.jpg

Something like this? ^ :)

I'm not sure I'll do anything, beside talking about it to my friends and such, since it's all fairly new to me.

I'd like to know if this week is worldwide? It'd be weird if I talk about it when French people don't "celebrate" it. '___'

October itself will be a busy month since it's LGBTQ History Month. I've been thinking of trying to spread awareness in the fandoms I'm in. I plan on making comics that are specific to the fandom to explain basic things about asexuality (and trying to tip toe across the line of not infuriating shippers). As for rl, I think I'll just get an asexual shirt or two and wear them when I go to school.

I'm not sure I'll do anything, beside talking about it to my friends and such, since it's all fairly new to me.

I'd like to know if this week is worldwide? It'd be weird if I talk about it when French people don't "celebrate" it. '___'

Yes, it is a worldwide event. The asexual community is very international. :)
EmotionalAndroid

Yes, actually! (Did you make that one?) I'm going with the full chevron for mine instead of lines, but it's close enough. Since it's my first shot at it, it's really lumpy and not very pretty, but I sort of like it in its imperfection.

Also, I am quite happy to know that my parents are not aware of what the colors mean. My mom saw me making it and just said "Oh, that's pretty!" To cover up, just in case, I told her I was using these colors because I didn't imagine I'd use them for much, so if I messed up my first attempt, it wouldn't matter.

Is there any special Twitter hashtag for Asexual Awareness Week? I'd like to post visibility stuff on my Twitter account. #asexualawarenessweek is really long though...maybe #aceawareness would work? But it's still kind of long. And if I just tag things as #aaw nobody's going to know what that means.

Is there any special Twitter hashtag for Asexual Awareness Week? I'd like to post visibility stuff on my Twitter account. #asexualawarenessweek is really long though...maybe #aceawareness would work? But it's still kind of long. And if I just tag things as #aaw nobody's going to know what that means.

I checked out each of those tags.

#aaw has a lot of tweets, but doesn't look to have anything asexuality-related. Anything asexuality-related would likely get lost among all the other tweets. #aceawarenessweek only has 1 or 2 tweets, but #asexualawarenessweek has a lot, and is your best bet, although it's a longer tag.

Yes, actually! (Did you make that one?) I'm going with the full chevron for mine instead of lines, but it's close enough. Since it's my first shot at it, it's really lumpy and not very pretty, but I sort of like it in its imperfection.

Also, I am quite happy to know that my parents are not aware of what the colors mean. My mom saw me making it and just said "Oh, that's pretty!" To cover up, just in case, I told her I was using these colors because I didn't imagine I'd use them for much, so if I messed up my first attempt, it wouldn't matter.

I've been thinking of doing something like this to wear during ace awareness week, glad to hear yours turned out pretty well!! :D

I'm not sure what else I could really do; I certainly to not want to be completely out yet, and I worry if I promote asexuality awareness too much people will figure me out. But I do want to do something if I can!

Oooo! It falls on my birthday this year!

I have a bracelet my friend brought home for me after going to a college pride event. I plan on wearing it to school and work, no one will probably even question it, but still, I want to show some pride :D And I might even through together an outfit one day with all the colors in it.

Vivaldi Ives

I checked out each of those tags.

#aaw has a lot of tweets, but doesn't look to have anything asexuality-related. Anything asexuality-related would likely get lost among all the other tweets. #aceawarenessweek only has 1 or 2 tweets, but #asexualawarenessweek has a lot, and is your best bet, although it's a longer tag.

Thanks! Now I have to plan what to tweet!

GingerbreadGirl

I've been considering doing something like changing my Facebook profile picture to an Ace flag or something, and generally broadcasting a little more info about Asexuality, but I'm also not sure if I'm ready for the potential controversy those movements could incite (compounded by the fact that I'm still feeling my way around Asexuality as an identity)
But I'd love to do something, since regardless of myself at this point Ace Awareness is something I want to get behind and celebrate. Bracelets and Tweeting sounds great. My school has a uniform but we can usually get away with a little jewellery. :D

I was thinking of maybe hanging up posters with explanations around university buildings. While I don't really make a secret of being asexual, a lot of people don't know, so I'm kind of scared to do something really public. Hanging up posters is good though, because it can be kind of anonymous if you do it at strange hours. Bracelets and t-shirts are also good though. Luckily, I still have some time to decide what I want to do...

(A)rrogant Avian

I am probably going to try and do something creative to raise awareness around my school, but I don't want to come out to some people, so I might not do anything.

Normally I try and bring asexuality up in conversation, so maybe I could just talk about it to everyone and mention the awareness week.

A chapter in my book is pretty much a guide to asexuality. I can write up something similar and post it on Facebook. Except I vaguely remember doing some awareness work and got chided by my parents, and I'm anticipating that it will happen again.

Archived