Just how modest you are with your body?

R_1

AVEN Census to body self-awareness  

1. 1. How modest are you with your body?

• I am very modest with my body - 5
    • I am modest with my body - 4
    • I am somewhat modest with my body - 3
    • I have very little modesty with my body - 2
    • I have next to no modesty with my body - 1
    • Absolutely no modesty with my body - 0
    • Other
    • Don't know
  2. 2. Are you raised this way? Note : Binary option is to save time

• I picked 5 - Yes
    • I picked 5 - No
    • I picked 4 - Yes
    • I picked 4 - No
    • I picked 3 - Yes
    • I picked 3 - No
    • I picked 2 - Yes
    • I picked 2 - No
    • I picked 1 - Yes
    • I picked 1 - No
    • I picked 0 - Yes
    • I picked 0 - No
    • I picked Other - Yes
    • I picked Other - No
    • Option not listed/Don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

I checked not being raised this way, although all girls in our family are very, very modest by our society's standards. Only, even in our family I am regarded as extremely modest, though I do not feel extreme myself.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I'm pretty immodest with my body, but I stop short of what I consider 'trashy' on me. I like wearing short shorts on 35 degree days, but not overly so. I don't wear crop tops, but I will wear a big man's shirt with some of the top buttons undone. I wear tight black cocktail dresses when going out, but with black opaque tights and professional shoes. Balance is key to me and my style.

verily-forsooth-egads

I'm not opposed to showing my body; my dress style just happens to be jeans and a sweatshirt that I never take off. I wear shorts during the summer. I actually don't really care.

I am somewhat modest, but was never really brought up with any kind of an opinion as to that being right or wrong. Just an indifferent approach.

I don't actually show it off. But I now have no problem if the occasion arose. I am confident and happy with my body, a long way off the body image issues that I suffered from, and I have people in my life who are responsible for helping me turn that corner. There was a time where I was not comfortable in body or mind, trapped into something that I wanted out of, and that has now gone away.

So I don't have a desire to rip off my shirt and show off my hard work in the gym, but I have no problem with taking off my shirt for a doctors examination, or wearing something tight-fitting and enhancing, when it is hot.

I selected number 4 and I was raised that way. My parents were very modest when I was growing up, and they continue to be. I prefer jeans / pants to shorts, but I will wear shorts when it's too hot not to. I also prefer shirts that cover my shoulders and have at least some sort of sleeve. I seldom wear skirts or dresses but when I do, they're typically long. Though I did wear a shorter skirt to work recently, and it was short enough that my knees showed. It was all I heard about all day :/ I get comments all the time like... you've got such a cute figure, you should show it off. No Thanks.

I would never in this life show "cleavage". Okay, fair enough, neither do I dress feminine nor do I identify as it. It's a horrid thought for me, but I know some people will stare at my clothed breasts. But I really don't want them to stare at my exposed skin! When I was younger, I would not even wear short sleeves in summer. I ways always fully covered, or panic attacks were guaranteed. To this day, I don't wear shorts in public. I'm just not comfortable with it.

I'm pretty immodest with my body, but I stop short of what I consider 'trashy' on me.

Location: Stripping at an asexual strip club, next door to McDonald's!

Dayum girl, ya'll be sounding classy, ya'll. What's your stripper name? Crofty? Croftee? Crof-T? Crof-T, come on! Croftay? Crofshaytaytay?

I wear tight black cocktail dresses when going out, but with black opaque tights and professional shoes. Balance is key to me and my style.

*Wolf whistle*

• 2 months later...

I live in Scotland so keeping warm comes first.

I am very modest with what i wear i cover myself from neck to foot mostly because i have no idea when your skin starts being sexy and so not to be sluttish i completely cover up i also have scars i'm not bothered by them but if i was to go around with them uncovered it feels like i'd be "oh look at my scars give me sympathy"

The only time I wear something immodest is if I'm wearing something more modest underneath. :P Like a tank top under a low-cut shirt, or loose/relaxed leggings with mini-skirts/short shorts. But t-shirts have to be v-necks or something similar for me, it makes me uncomfortable to wear something that covers my shoulders/neck unless it's cold out.

I can't wear skirts (even longer skirts) without shorts underneath. I feel too naked.

I prefer colder weather when I get to wear layers. long sleeve shirts or sweater. Boot cut Jeans.

I Hate Hate Hate summer when it's hot and I "Have" to wear shorts. =P

The very thought of deliberately showing my body is traumatic and upbringing bs a lot to do with that, though not entirely the reason.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Dayum girl, ya'll be sounding classy, ya'll. What's your stripper name? Crofty? Croftee? Crof-T? Crof-T, come on! Croftay? Crofshaytaytay?

YourCroftee is classy to the end ;)

Conscientious Ghost

I'm modest with my body, and that's how I felt since I was a child (my parents couldn't care less). Short-shorts, tank tops, and sandals are my least favorite clothing to wear because I generally don't like exposing my skin. It unsettles me to receive unnecessary attention and to feel ogling eyes.

Avoidance of revealing clothes due to gender/body dysphoria, not the asexual bit.

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

I picked 4 and no.

My body is not what is considered acceptable or beautiful, but I am getting better at not wanting to hide under a full-length paper bag. I don't show-off my body, for obvious reasons. But I also wear what I find comfortable, I am not going out of my way to conform to a society of body-image-hate. If people's eyes are offended, they are at perfect liberty to look the other way. But I don't wear revealing stuff, just skirts, or skirts and leggings, and t-shirts.
That being said I am a theatre-girl and have not much of a problem stripping to my underwear in front of guys and gals in the changing room if I must

I was raised to be comfortable in my skin and wear whatever I choose.

I put 4 and yes. I have a couple of things with lower-ish necklines, but I often feel uncomfortable wearing those without an undershirt of some kind. I was raised in a religion that encouraged modesty (nothing above the knee, little to no cleavage showing, no midriff and sleeves of some kind are a must!), and since I still practice and attend a school that enforces those standards, I've maintained that. That, and I just feel more comfortable when I'm covered up. I didn't even really wear shorts or capris much until this past summer because I thought they just drew attention to my short legs (and besides that do you know how hard it is to find girls' shorts that go to the knee?!), but they're nice and cool in the summer so I came to like them.

Nordic culture involves saunas and skinny dipping, so I'm pretty used to wearing (next to) nothing at all, at least when in a cottage in the middle of a forest, hahaha.

In public, however, I seldom show a lot of skin, except during hot weather, because sunstrokes aren't fun. So I guess 2 or 3?

Very modest. I only show face, hair, neck and hands. My own choice, not raised in this way. Is possibly related to being asexual/neutrois and for personal safety reasons (theoretical, have never experienced anything).

drjohnhwatson

I chose 5 as in very modest and no as I wasn't raised this way. It's funny because I'm polar opposite to my younger and older sisters. I just...I don't know. The thing that really bothers me are shirts that show any skin. Just any dipping down toward my chest and I throw a fit. I'm getting better about it now, but I used to be really cranky and bad with it as a teenager, funnily enough. I always wear jeans or long trousers. When I wore shorts, I would get really finicky if they started creeping up much farther than my knees. I don't know why.

My older sister isn't as bad. She wears low-cut shorts and other clothes. My younger sister isn't anything like me. She wears skirts that only just barely cover her ass and her shirts are cut low enough to display everything, and her chest isn't that small. It's kind of funny to compare the two of us; my mother is constantly harping at her even though she's an adult and then she harps at me for being too conservative with clothing "IT'S NOT THAT BAD YOU DON'T SEE ANYTHING" (in regards to tops with just a tiny v).

I don't know if I would be different if my bust was smaller; I might be. Like if I was flat and could be androgynous, I probably would go for it. I'm definitely not, and I abhor the thought of people peeking at my bits.

:lol:.

Answered 3. I'm not ashamed of my body one bit but in public places I try to dress so that not everyone would be drooling after me. Probably the most revealing as I'd get out there would be a sleeveless shirt and shorts. Beach and sauna etc. are different stories though. I also find it very odd when people dress in swimwear or towel in saunas. : D

I picked four and no, though if I wasn't modest, my parents would have had a problem with it. Since I naturally prefer dressing modestly, however, I don't think it had anything to do with how I was raised to be, since if I wasn't, I'd have argued with my parents about it.

I find I'm becoming more modest with age. Generally I'm not too bothered who sees my body, I don't necessarily bother finding a cubicle in changing rooms or the likes, but when I buy clothing I tend to choose items that cover up that bit more than I used to. I wasn't raised with any particular idea of modesty.

That said though, since I started weight lifting and noticing the development of defined muscle tone I'm going without sleeves a lot more than I used to haha. ;) I also prefer to wear minimal clothing while working out as excess fabric irritates me.

I'm a person too!

I grew up being ashamed of my body. In college I worked as a nude model. I am now comfortable with my body as a form but not comfortable with people looking at it under any other circumstances.

I've streaked through a playground during a thunderstorm and have a tendency for taking clothing off and running down the street.
On very rare occasions, though. Ahem.

I'm not very modest at all. My clothing is due to weather, the fact that I prefer certain styles of clothes (mostly jeans and t-shirts), and the fact that I can't go around with my shirt off. But when it comes to how I actually feel about my body and showing it, I don't really care.

• 1 month later...
ncstewart91

I am very modest but it was by choice. I am a Christian and after reading throught the bible and praying about it I felt convicted to dress more modestly. I do not attend one of the churches that conform to a dress code (in fact my former church even mocked me at times for dressing the way I did). I pretty much look like another Duggar with the only differences being that I do wear some sleeveless tops. That and my hair is taking forever to grow out. I have been dressing in the long skirts since 2009 but I did have a hiatus in 2011 when I went back to jeans thinking I didn't want to stand out at college. I quickly realized that I'm already standing out by just being me and a skirt won't add much difference to that. Before 2009 I dressed mostly in jeans and t-shirts and if I wore shorts they were mens because they were longer and to me that meant more comfortable.

I dress fairly modestly and would dress more modest if the weather permitted it. Seriously, I'd be wearing vintage Victorian dress shirts, waist coats and slacks or leggings all year if it was my choice (first off because that would be cool as heck and second because it would keep me covered) but it's in the 90's most of the year where I live and heat stroke doesn't sound pleasant so I usually wear tank tops, jeans, leggings and T's.

Grumpy Alien

I don't know how to answer this because it really depends on what part of my body.

On my own, I'm not modest at all- I live alone, and at home I'll wear as much or as little as needed to be comfortable. In public, I'll go without a shirt where it's appropriate- like on the beach, and amid friends I'm comfortable with, but otherwise rarely. An exception is when I run at night in the summertime, when it feels much cooler without a shirt. In that situation, I figure nobody's going to get a good enough look at my skimpy body to be traumatized.

Ive never been that modest, i saw modesty as an odd thing. Were all just human animals, we know what people have under their clothes. Ive never understood why people would be ashamed of being in the nude.

When its warm out, i enjoy spending the day in nothing but shorts or even less. Though youll find my bf in a full set of clothes, even an undershirt, on the hottest of days. I dont get it.

I'm modest with my body simply because I want to be. I don't have any ulterior reasoning or anything that caused me to become like this. I've always preferred to cover up. I think if you can manage to look awesome without showing skin or wearing uber tight/sexualized clothing... thumbs up to you!

Archived