Just how modest you are with your body?

R_1

AVEN Census to body self-awareness  

1. 1. How modest are you with your body?

• I am very modest with my body - 5
    • I am modest with my body - 4
    • I am somewhat modest with my body - 3
    • I have very little modesty with my body - 2
    • I have next to no modesty with my body - 1
    • Absolutely no modesty with my body - 0
    • Other
    • Don't know
  2. 2. Are you raised this way? Note : Binary option is to save time

• I picked 5 - Yes
    • I picked 5 - No
    • I picked 4 - Yes
    • I picked 4 - No
    • I picked 3 - Yes
    • I picked 3 - No
    • I picked 2 - Yes
    • I picked 2 - No
    • I picked 1 - Yes
    • I picked 1 - No
    • I picked 0 - Yes
    • I picked 0 - No
    • I picked Other - Yes
    • I picked Other - No
    • Option not listed/Don't know

This poll is closed to new votes

Forgive me for being confused, but what exactly do you mean by being modest with your own body?

Forgive me for being confused, but what exactly do you mean by being modest with your own body?

Well, what I mean by modest with your own body is reluntance to intentionally show your body off.

Well, what I mean by modest with your own body is reluntance to intentionally show your body off.

I have no idea why I didn't think of that context :derp:

Thanks for clearing that up! /answered

Christinanc93

I'm somewhat modest with my body...I'm getting progressively more so as I get older. When I was younger, not at all, then I got raped and went through my "dressing like a slut because look what happened to me when I was wearing a business suit, so it obviously doesn't even matter!" phase....and then I just got more and more uncomfortable with people, both with the sleazeballs I was attracting, and the people telling me I needed to get married and have kids.....and I've just covered myself more and more the more uncomfortable I've gotten....pretty soon I'll be wearing burqa(I can't spell that, sorry) with a parka over it.

Janus the Fox
hmm... under that context of modesty and follow up question... it dont really come close to put it on a scale, simply because i have no reason to intentionally show my body off beyond required means like showing of to doctors.

I'm modest with it, for two reasons:

1. It's freaking cold to dress unmodestly. I mean geeze, why would I want cleavage hanging out in that temperature? God no D: Even my face being exposed is freezing enough! I've seen girls in the snow, cleavage out and their chest turned red from exposure damage. Why would you do that x.x

2. I used to have pretty bad acne and was too embarrassed to show off skin that had zits everywhere, like my chest and shoulders. It's been fixed through medication but still my wardrobe is mostly comprised of what I wore then.

I'm not ashamed of my skin anymore but the freezing impracticality of dressing immodestly will likely keep me modest anyway. Though since all the stores seem to sell is skin exposure maxima, it's getting harder to keep with my warm clothing.

I wasn't raised to dress conservatively though. In fact, my mother sometimes got annoyed, insisting I should dress less modestly while I'm young and still have the physical aesthetic benefits of youth >.>

Oh… on the topic of form fitting clothes though, I do wear those. I feel like I'm wearing an awkward bag or something if my clothes are too loose :\ Skin exposure though, nopity nope to the nope. So not worth frost bite.

The only time I wear something immodest is if I'm wearing something more modest underneath. :p Like a tank top under a low-cut shirt, or loose/relaxed leggings with mini-skirts/short shorts. But t-shirts have to be v-necks or something similar for me, it makes me uncomfortable to wear something that covers my shoulders/neck unless it's cold out.

I don't show mine off at all, however, i frequently have my shirt off at home, and im not as bothered people seeing. However, I do have a small idea of people should have some decency covering up, but thats just me.

On the second question, I chose the last option, because you didn't have an option for "Both raised that way and come by it naturally" which I do. I was raised not to show off too much and it's just not in my nature either.

Funnily enough, I remember my mom once saying that both my dad and I were too old fashioned in our clothing styles. LOL

For me, no one has any need to see any more of me than absolutely necessary. I don't wear low cut blouses, any collar lower than a couple of inches makes me very uncomfortable and I really dislike the type of sleeves most women's blouses sport. They're too short. I like to wear T-Shirts for preference and love autumn/winter because I can actually wear shirts with decent length sleeves. If I can find them with collars, that's even better. I prefer comfortable jeans, unless I'm at work, in which case I wear slacks.

During my college rebellion years, my knecklines got lower and my shorts got really short. I was hyper-modest as a kid, but also generally hated my body for having the indecency to spontaniously burst into curves around 14. I still kinda hate it... but I'm learning how to dress it and trying to appreciate how many of my friends would give their eye-teeth to be built like Barbie. :unsure:

That Ginger Kid

I was raised under the phiolosophy: Girls can do anything they want, especially showing off our bodies! And even more especially if you have something the menfolk want. Never agreed with it, prolly never will.

I dress modestly because clothes=warmth.

I don't think I was told to dress a certain way. At least, I don't remember such.

how modest i am pretty much depends on what i think looks good on me; i don't go out of my way to cover up or to show skin.

I picked 4, but my fiance probably would have had me pick 5 :P I don't like the attention I get when I dress in tight/short clothes. Plus, even when I do buy tight clothes, my weight fluctuates so frequently that it ends up stretching and then getting loose on me, anyway!

I put 4, I am modest with my body, and more so now that I have gained weight. I was not consciously raised this way but not much of family has dressed in a way that shows off the body except if we go to a beach which none of us have done since I was a kid.

Depends, when i know my body looks good, i do like to flaunt it lol but i only "expose" i guess, what looks flattering. On a hot day, when i know i can pull it off i will walk around in shorts and a bikini top for example, but if i can't pull it off(IMO) i will wear something thats exposes only my shoulders. That said i also dress very boyish a lot, and by that i mean i have gone to my friends house in the same outfit as one of her guy friends was wearing..and im currently wearing jeans and my friends BFs t-shirt.... lol

I was definitely NOT raised this way lol

I'm fairly modest with my body- I never wear shorts, and never go about shirtless. I also do not change my clothes in front of people. Much of this is because I am genderqueer, and self-conscious about my body. I do not judge other people for their modesty, or lack thereof. It's just a personal thing.

I wear short-sleeved shirts, and now my legs aren't so fat shorts in summer, but that is it. I will not go shirtless, unless in my own house, on my own. I gave up all team sports as a teenager because I could not bring myself to use communal changing rooms. I was never raised this way, my father was always shirtless in the summer, for example. I agree totally with JAKQ7111 about being self-conscious about my body because of developmental issues as well.

I am sooooooo modest with my body. I feel half-naked when I wear shorts, so I don't own any pairs. All I own are long, baggy pants, which are worn even in 110+ degree weather. I am very uncomfortable being shirtless near others. All my shirts are definitely not body-huggingly tight. Same with my pants. Why on earth would I want to show myself off like that? Don't even get me started about my ears...

I'm veeery modest lol. Always have been (said yes to being raised this way, though it's my comfort level/expression that's kept me this way). Pants everyday for me haha. And my chest, even being fairly small, is always covered. I feel naked in something that is low-cut lol.

For me it depends on the situation. When I go out in public I try to dress decently, and by that I mean in ways that I think flatter my physical assets but I don't like to show off excess skin. When I go swimming I always wear a one piece bathing suit, even though I could easily wear a bikini or other two piece with exposed midriff.

However, if the situation warrants it, I can essentially "forget" about any modesty and can actually be comfortable in various states of undress or complete nudity. For instance, doctor's appointments and the like - I figure there's no point in trying to go to excess lengths to cover everything up since they see that and more all the time and there's a reason for it. And then there's my involvement in kink. Not long ago this fall I stripped naked in a room of over 200 people and thought nothing about it at all, but in that situation I wasn't the only one there who was partially or fully nude. Also, when I had my gym membership I didn't care if someone saw me in the shower or dressing in the locker room. The way I see it is it's just a body. I would have no problem being in a nudist resort in so far as being naked; the problem I'd have would be worrying about being eaten alive by bugs when outside and just practical issues like getting cold.

I never used to be that way; in fact, when I was in my early teens and younger I was mortified if someone might see me naked or even just showing too much skin. I was also quite self conscious when I was really overweight in my college days and up until my late 20's before I lost a lot of weight.

I barely look human, I have to keep myself covered pretty well or I'll arouse suspicion. I think I look a lot like L.

I answered 'other' because although I do my very best to dress modestly (I have a very large chest so unless I wear a huge baggy sweater, I sometimes sort of look less modest than I was intending to because I have to keep pulling tops up etc) but, I do try my best to keep my..erm.. 'assets' contained. So in general, I would answer 'very modest'.

However with my partner,I am about as far from modest as it is possible to be :p I know he likes my body, so he gets a *lot* of it heh. who needs clothes right? well, maybe a little lingerie, buuut even that's negotiable heh.

So, yeah.. 'Other'. :)

WhenSummersGone

I put 4 and answered no. I live in Canada plus I'm always cold so I cover up. Also I just don't like to show much of myself. I was kinda raised this way but I mostly decided how I wanted to dress.

'Modest' must be the fluffiest, least objective, word in the dictionary.

In fact, in relation to the survey, I don't actually know what it means. It may just be me; but when I get dressed

I don't calculate the degree of 'modesty' I'll exhibit when I walk down the street.

[am I being modest enough?]

Cia :ph34r:

I have no reason to show my body. Everyone can see me right? In other words I don't care.

romantic-woman

When i was a teen i didn't want to show my body at all. I needed to wear clothers which covered most of my body parts

I had the thought that every man tend to look at you in certain parts so i tried to cover them as much as i could

Now i don't have this problem much but i don't dress sexy and i prefer to wear t shirts and jeans cause sexy clothes make me feel weird and not myself.

While I generally dress modestly (read that as comfortably), I am not very modest with showing off my body. I frequently walk around naked in my house with my wife, or at the very least shirtless. I'll put on more clothes when I get cold, though. But, living in Texas, it stays warm most of the year...

I was definitely not raised this way. I'm from a strict Catholic family. While I'm pretty sure I was immodest before the military, my time being forced to run through a shower and share urinals with 90 other guys took care of that pretty quick. I could sit on an open toilet next to someone and not be bothered.

Archived