Identifiability From Posts

Ficulnean

1. 1. Do you think people who you know could identify you based on what you've written here?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I haven't thought about it
    • Only if they were reading my posts specifically

This poll is closed to new votes

From what I understand, the meetup mart is partially hidden from non-members- people who aren't registered with AVEN can see that the meetup mart threads exist but can't actually see the thread itself or who replied to it- exactly so that member's privacy is more safe. It wouldn't help if someone I know from real life joined AVEN, but it is good to know that not just anyone can see where we all live.

I think I remember seeing something like this one pf the few times since finding this wite that I've ever been logged out.

They could but I don´t think they will appear here.

Squirrel Combat

I doubt it anyone would.

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

I put yes, but then I realized: people I know probably couldn't identify me by my POSTS. It's my SIGNATURE that gives it away. Pretty much all of my friends would see it and go, "Yep, that's {insert real name here}". I'd better make sure they never go on this website! :ninja:

HermioneGranger

I've posted my photo here, so that would be a pretty big giveaway. :p

I don't purposely try to give away my identity online, but I always assume that nothing posted on the Internet is really private, so it wouldn't bother me if someone figured out who I am. I don't post anything here that would really embarrass me if someone I knew were to read it.

I didn't vote.

I think my posts here are very identifying and revealing... but the people I work with just don't know me like that. I'm closeted and stealth and I do a great job of keeping my personal life personal. I have no close friends at this time.

I suspect my father would recognize me, probably my therapist, maybe a few other people. My coworkers? No way.

I didn't vote.

I think my posts here are very identifying and revealing... but the people I work with just don't know me like that. I'm closeted and stealth and I do a great job of keeping my personal life personal. I have no close friends at this time.

I suspect my father would recognize me, probably my therapist, maybe a few other people. My coworkers? No way.

If your posts are revealing, I hope your therapist could recognize you. That would be necessary if she were doing a good job. Plus, you just posted that you had a therapist xD This is exactly what I'm talking about.

• 3 weeks later...
drjohnhwatson

Oh, God. I really hope that people in real life would recognise me on this place. I would hope they wouldn't find it and trawl it, either. If they did, it most likely wouldn't be for any positive reasons. I think it's my nightmare that people would find me and go "wait, that's probably Devon", haha. Perhaps they would recognise me by my posts' content, but maybe not even then...I voted no, at any rate.

Possibly someone who knew me really well could identify me if they tried. Actually, I have randomly recognized a friend of a friend whom I've never actually met on here, which leads me to suspect that it's easier than you would think to identify someone.

drjohnhwatson

Possibly someone who knew me really well could identify me if they tried. Actually, I have randomly recognized a friend of a friend whom I've never actually met on here, which leads me to suspect that it's easier than you would think to identify someone.

That's definitely worrying, although I have to keep to the belief they really wouldn't come to this place. I know I'd be in trouble if they saw my first name; it's not super common for girls around here.

Truth and Lies

I highly doubt it. Generally speaking, apart from my posts that state things such as which video games I play and the like, probably none of my family would identify me just from reading these forums. And my friends... er... well... if they exist... ninety-nine percent sure none would ever identify me.

Looking through my early posts, there are a few threads that would be a dead giveaway if read by my family and maybe one or two friends, though...

Yes. In fact my asexual friend who browses around AVEN identified me without me telling her.

I'm not sure but it's possible since I did post a pic of my dog once and he's pretty well known where I live.

Hopefully not though, I kind of like my closet.

Oh darn. My tone, I think, is unmistakeable. Even without the helpful content I leave behind. (Sorry, just realized.)

• 2 weeks later...

I answered "no" - but after some thought, I think I should change my answer to "if they were reading my posts specifically."

Because for a time I was using the same profile picture as I do here, on my FB page. Also, my user name is somewhat identifiable - at least to people who really know me. If they used those to then look at my posts specifically... there just might be some revealing posts depending on their relationship to me.

I'm certainly not worried about it, however, because no one I know/am related to would ever come here.

Well first they'd have to find out about AVEN and decide to browse the forums on it. A bit unlikely.

But if they did, and decided to look at all of my posts specifically, they could put it together. Especially since I've put names and pictures of my pets here. I'd hope though that if they took the time to do all this, that they would be a bit open about trying to understand asexuality.

Waist of Thyme

Yes, because I've made posts and statuses on here that I've also posted on Facebook.

• 2 weeks later...

Well first they'd have to find out about AVEN and decide to browse the forums on it. A bit unlikely.

But if they did, and decided to look at all of my posts specifically, they could put it together. Especially since I've put names and pictures of my pets here. I'd hope though that if they took the time to do all this, that they would be a bit open about trying to understand asexuality.

Or, they could be out to ruin your life. No, your probably right. If it requires the browsing of more than one topic, at the least we can assume that if anyone figures it out they;ll be open minded.

Yes, because I've made posts and statuses on here that I've also posted on Facebook.

This is the only social network site I use, so I didn't even think about that. I suppose its also why I posted such a general poll.

Yeah I'd presume any of my close friends would realise very quickly it was me from posts/avatar etc

There aren't many NZers on here, plus my pic is on the 2014 thread..

I said yes because I've posted my photo and my name. Also just stuff I've said, I'm sure they could figure it out. I don't really care, I guess.

I think that if my girlfriend or closest friends were to come on here and try to figure out which profile was mine based off of posts, I think they could do it. It's not hard to put together my typing style with my opinions on certain topics. If it was my family or just a friend, I don't think they could do it. I'm rather honest about myself on this website.

I think that if my girlfriend or closest friends were to come on here and try to figure out which profile was mine based off of posts, I think they could do it. It's not hard to put together my typing style with my opinions on certain topics. If it was my family or just a friend, I don't think they could do it. I'm rather honest about myself on this website.

I assume your girlfriend already knows that you're asexual. Do you think someone, if they knew everything else but that, could figure it out? (Because honestly, that's the thing that anyone is going to figure out if they know who you are from the posts, given the website it's on.)

I assume your girlfriend already knows that you're asexual. Do you think someone, if they knew everything else but that, could figure it out? (Because honestly, that's the thing that anyone is going to figure out if they know who you are from the posts, given the website it's on.)

I think so. I act the same way in real life a I do on Aven so I don't think it'd be too hard. It's obvious, even to people that don't know me very well, that sex isn't a big part of my life.

Honestly I have never given it any thought until a few days ago when I realized that the content on these boards is searchable via Google. I am more honest and open here than anywhere and I have shared more here than any one person knows about me. To find me out, I think someone would need to be awfully determined. Also I try not to leave clues. Got me a few online personas.

I have to say "no", as there is no one in real life who knows me, aside from my professional life.

supersymmetry

Maybe from the profile, and posts if I go any more in-depth. But... I don't think anyone I know irl would know I'm on here, or even that I'm ace. And I don't think they'd bother to track me down...

• 1 month later...
Susie Applesauce

Not only are my posts obviously me; my pseudonym is a dead giveaway.

GiraffeSpots

It mostly depends who it is. I mean, I drew my own avatar, so people who know my art style or I've shown the picture to would be able to tell just from that. If my friends and family read through the things I have posted, especially when I'm asking for help because I'm very specific about the situation I'm in, they might recognise me. Most of them know I'm asexual, but most of them have been pretty crappy about it too, so I doubt they're going to be on AVEN any time soon.

Archived