Identifiability From Posts

Ficulnean

1. 1. Do you think people who you know could identify you based on what you've written here?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know
    • I haven't thought about it
    • Only if they were reading my posts specifically

This poll is closed to new votes

Hey, so I was wondering, because there is a lot of personal posting here, how many of you think that people you actually know in real life could identify you if they were browsing through the forums? Or, if they were browsing through your posts specifically?

Wow, somebody voted within a minute . . .

I put yes, but it honestly depends on what category they were browsing under. Some of the personal stuff, yes, I think they would catch on, a lot of the stuff they would never guess, and if they found out they would be heavily shocked. And it also depends on who we're talking about. My closer friends are more likely to recognize me by my posts on here than my family or acquaintances, or even my SO unless he was reading the posts in which I've mentioned him.

I put yes, but it honestly depends on what category they were browsing under. Some of the personal stuff, yes, I think they would catch on, a lot of the stuff they would never guess, and if they found out they would be heavily shocked. And it also depends on who we're talking about. My closer friends are more likely to recognize me by my posts on here than my family or acquaintances, or even my SO unless he was reading the posts in which I've mentioned him.

Unless he was reading the posts which mentioned him? Well, that's intersting. Do you think then that the order the may read the posts in would matter?

Unless he was reading the posts which mentioned him? Well, that's intersting. Do you think then that the order the may read the posts in would matter?

Yes, I would say that the order would matter indeed. Honestly, a lot of my posts on here delve into gender roles and my trans existence, which he's not totally aware of yet.... He knows that I consider myself more boyish, and that I basically usually only befriend males, and that I have a tendency to seduce lesbians because I'm kinda a total charmer for women somehow. I just haven't actually specifically come out and said, "Hey, I don't identify as female."

(A)rrogant Avian

If someone was just looking at my posts and tried very hard to relate me to my posts, then yes. But I don't give away so many details that someone would guess who I was.

5_♦♣

I don't really think about it. But then, I have so many posts that it'd take quite some time for someone to go through them all. And I'm not sure how many people would have that much patience.

Quintus Crinis

I have actually "signed" some of my posts on here (the less revealing ones) with my real name in the same way I do my text messages - although I rarely send texts to people so even then I'm not sure if most people would. Does that make any sense?

Quintus. :)

I chose "if they went through my posts specifically"...it's actually something I think about a lot cause I can be paranoid that way lol. :wacko:

Since I use a picture of myself as my avatar, it would be pretty clear to people who know me in-person. Just reading my posts, it would depend on how much I mentioned my wife at the time. Most people who know me online-only also have me very linked with my wife, so there's that. I run an online business, so keeping myself secret online isn't a particularly big concern of mine.

WhenSummersGone

I'm not sure. It's possible they could but I don't know.

I don't think so, but that's because I haven't really posted much yet. Given enough time I'd probably give enough away for my close friends to figure it out and maybe my family.

I put down "only if they were reading my posts specifically", as I've made mentions to uni and interests and whatnot, but then it occurred to me that my profile picture is a photo of me (albeit with a mask) and my username is the username I use for everything. So yes, people would definitely recognise me if they know me in real life.

I say crazy $#!+ so yes.....they most likely could. I don't mean to but sometimes it just comes out that way if people can't figure out what I'm trying to say.

I'm extremely private with my sexuality even with the people close to me. So, no, I really don't think they could, even if they read my posts specifically.

Certified Cake Decorator

Yes. Because not a lot of people have pet rats named Pickles and Tofu....

And i mention them all the time because i love them! They are like the dogs i don't have yet!

A little bit of Yes and a little bit of No.

Some of my family know who I am on AVEN. If they have read any of my posts, and I doubt they have, they wouldn't be seeing anything but nice things written about them. The "others", those in my family who don't know my AVEN name, but know I am on here, would probably get quite the shock, be rather pissed off and would no doubt swear bloody murder upon me if they were to see a few of my posts. They are also as selfish as the day is long. They have never taken an interest in my life, no matter if I am on the internet or sitting right next to them, so I can get away with calling them all the names under the sun, knowing they will never see it.

But apart from that, I tend to portray a character, someone who is only a little bit like me in everything that I do and I rarely talk about my private life as I am a very private man.

Based on my gender and location, and the occasional personal post, it's certainly not impossible. I've posted so much in the Discussion subforum, though, that just from viewing my profile, the more identifiable stuff is pretty much buried under a layer of replies to threads about ebola and whatnot. I'm keeping the signal-to-noise ratio that way on purpose.

As long as it's impossible for a random person on the internet to get my "dox", though, I'm good.

Most of the people in my life would immediately recognise me - either from posts or just looking at my profile pic. Not too many of my responses have been terribly generic. I'm pretty sure none of them (other than ones I've told about this site) have actually heard of AVEN though, so don't think the situation will ever come up honestly

I don't actually have anyone to read and potentially recognize me online. But since I mention my website and use my real name on it it wouldn't be so hard to figure out who I am although I'm not the only Barbara in the world.

I chose yes. My screename is "Han Banan," which is the short version of my mom's nickname for me: "Han Banan', my little man!" (I could never explain to you why she called me that, besides the part where my name is Hannah :P )

I chose a name by which I could easily be recognized by my family because:

1. They would never come on here.

2. If they ever DID come on here for any reason, I would want them to recognize me immediately.

My family is very conservative in terms of talking about sex, so I doubt they would ever want to know if I was homosexual or bisexual. For this reason, I will never come out to them, but if they are ever curious about asexuality, I would want them to know that I am asexual right away. They hate talking about a person's sexuality because they simply don't care what someone is doing (or not doing) in the bedroom; they just don't want to hear about it!

If anyone who knows me came across the strip club thread they would know who it was the second they saw the picture i posted because a) its my dog and my photograph and b) its my cell phone wallpaper lol

Anyone who sees my avie will recognise me- I may change that. The only people who have physically seen me and know my handle are those I have met in meet-ups from this and one other forum I subscribe to. No friends or family know the handle I use.

Most of my posts are generic enough that no one would be able to tell it's me writing it. However there are few posts where I might mention something specific about me that (depending on who it was reading my posts) could be used by someone I know in real life to identify me. Based on the fact that I've posted which state I live in in the meetup mart and the fact that some of my posts reference things specific to me, it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone from real life to figure out who I was or which AVEN profile is mine, but realistically it would probably only happen if they were specifically looking for me or reading through all my posts.

if i posted more here and knew more ppl i think so but otherwise no. in other settings most certainly (like on msparp or tumblr)

Most of my posts are generic enough that no one would be able to tell it's me writing it. However there are few posts where I might mention something specific about me that (depending on who it was reading my posts) could be used by someone I know in real life to identify me. Based on the fact that I've posted which state I live in in the meetup mart and the fact that some of my posts reference things specific to me, it wouldn't be unreasonable for someone from real life to figure out who I was or which AVEN profile is mine, but realistically it would probably only happen if they were specifically looking for me or reading through all my posts.

The realization of meetup mart posts for me is what made this a real consideration, too.

The realization of meetup mart posts for me is what made this a real consideration, too.

From what I understand, the meetup mart is partially hidden from non-members- people who aren't registered with AVEN can see that the meetup mart threads exist but can't actually see the thread itself or who replied to it- exactly so that member's privacy is more safe. It wouldn't help if someone I know from real life joined AVEN, but it is good to know that not just anyone can see where we all live.

This one might be relevant to anyone who has placed a post on the Proboard back-up forum. Posts on that forum are listed by content on general search engines. I discovered this whilst searching for a completely unrelated to asexuality topic, and "Googled" unintentionally a post I had placed on Proboards.

Archived