...Bigender?

SuperHorace

Can you be bigender? Is that a thing? I'm as heteroromantic as they come, but I have no machismo. I hate machismo. I've lately been playing as a female character in a game (Because I love her move set and that she gets to work with my profile picture, a Luma) but I don't mind playing a female character. I've been thinking about hair for a while, and now dresses. I feel like a guy, but I still like this stuff (And shoes are still a mystery to me). I don't care what I look like as a guy, but if I were a girl, I'd be all: "I MUST HAVE AWESOME HAIR AND SUPERCUTE DRESS" (NOT revealing. I'd wanna look nice, but I'd be creeped out to have people staring. I'd rather exist like this so that I'd find myself nice-looking, but everybody else would be like, "oh she looks nice," and be done with it.) I'm definitely not trans. I wouldn't feel like I was in my own skin as a female. I'm fine with being a guy. Now let me be a guy who kinda sorta maybe likes hair and dresses a little bit and who doesn't mind (...Likes?) playing a female character.

Good question! Just like sexual orientation, gender is a whole spectrum. I actually have felt the same way sometimes as a girl- I love really girly clothing but I don't do anything with my (short) hair besides wash it and brush it once in a while, hate makeup and am puzzled when I hear women say they feel or look "gross".

So to answer you question of if anybody can be "bigender", I'd say yes and no, because gender is more complex than stereotypical traits ("machismo", wanting to wear dresses) As long as you are comfortable being yourself, you don't need labels to define you.

butterflydreams

Damn...do you have cameras in my apartment and brain or something? You took the thoughts right out of my head here! I mean, I might be a little less "fine" with being a guy, but in a more "ugh, fine, I'll deal" kind of way. Everything else you're saying really resonates with me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a single bit of what you've described. I'm not too knowledgeable on all the ins and outs of gender stuff, but I'm pretty sure bigender is a thing. I don't know exactly what the description of it is though, so maybe someone else more knowledgable can help there.

I honestly imagine what it would be like to be OEM-female a lot, and I'm trying to explore a bit more in that direction currently. That's certainly something you can try as well, if you feel open to it. Seems like you are a little bit already. Either way, nothing wrong with it. Good things to learn about yourself and think about who you are a bit more.

Damn...do you have cameras in my apartment and brain or something? You took the thoughts right out of my head here! I mean, I might be a little less "fine" with being a guy, but in a more "ugh, fine, I'll deal" kind of way. Everything else you're saying really resonates with me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a single bit of what you've described. I'm not too knowledgeable on all the ins and outs of gender stuff, but I'm pretty sure bigender is a thing. I don't know exactly what the description of it is though, so maybe someone else more knowledgable can help there.

I honestly imagine what it would be like to be OEM-female a lot, and I'm trying to explore a bit more in that direction currently. That's certainly something you can try as well, if you feel open to it. Seems like you are a little bit already. Either way, nothing wrong with it. Good things to learn about yourself and think about who you are a bit more.

Thanks for the advice ^~^ I think this works out great, as being either gender is so restrictive. You NEVER get to know what it's like to be the other. I'm honestly curious. If I could warp my brain to an alternate reality where I was a female and then return to this one at the same time I left, I'd be doing that all the time. How would this situation be different? How would I react? Wouldn't my life be so different without my sweet, Autumn? Then I'd know!

butterflydreams

I suppose either one could feel restrictive, though I tend to feel that being male is a bit more restrictive, or maybe, inflexible is the better word. Pushing out of that rigidity a bit is kind of how I look at it. Though, if you told me I could wake up tomorrow as OEM-female, permanently, I'd probably go for it. Heh, everyone's a bit different I guess :) I don't consider myself trans either. I'm just not really attached to any particular gender. It's still me inside.

Lol, yup and yeah, I do exactly the same thing.

It's funny I wasn't expecting to have that in common with anyone.

I wanted to make a female character in a mmorpg called "Iamadude" once. Lol

Man, I miss City of Heroes.

Yeah, my culture has a whole lot of that machismo crap, and women can be just as bad, expecting all guys to be like that.

I don't have gender identity issues, but I do feel disconnected with males.

It's funny, I wasn't expecting to have that in common with anyone.

I sometimes want to play female characters, but not always.

Yeah culture has a whole lot of that machismo garbage.

You, sir, just summed me up better than I did. Of course, I changed what you said a little.

Yes, bigender is "a thing"! : ) I'm androgynous/androgyne, and that is different than being bigender, but this Gender Wiki post explains a bit of both, "While androgynes may express more femininity or masculinity from day to day due to mood or societal expectations, they generally don't switch between distinct masculine and feminine personas in the way that bigenders do. An androgyne is someone with a single gender that combines femininity with masculinity, while bigenders have two separate genders (one feminine, one masculine)."

But as others have said, gender is a spectrum...it isn't purely just male or just female, so you can totally have those feelings and preferences! I'm bio-female, and I am like you...when playing video games where you can create your own character (or choose between male and female), I'd always make/choose male! But anyhoo, keep researching and looking around. What matters most is you being comfy as you! :cake:

nerdperson777

It's funny I wasn't expecting to have that in common with anyone.

I wanted to make a female character in a mmorpg called "Iamadude" once. Lol

Man, I miss City of Heroes.

Yeah, my culture has a whole lot of that machismo crap, and women can be just as bad, expecting all guys to be like that.

Oh yeah, I remember playing this game once. My character is always male in any game I play, except once I was female in another game for a reason. I just can't do female characters. Boobs on my character, ha, no. My character passed by a player called "traningbra" (yes, spelled wrong) and I think she might've been creeped out about this guy character walking up and talking to her about her name. You're the one with the weird name..

Archived