Dutch article about asexuality published on campusblog.nl

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Read the article here (you'll need to use Google Translate if you don't speak Dutch).

They also interviewed a Dutch asexual and will have a sexologist giving a live interview on their show this Thursday at 3pm, Dutch time (GMT+2).

2015 Edit - For future reference. Translation can be read in post #5 of this same thread.

Aseksuali-watte?!

Gepost door kayleigh van den hout in Cultuur, Lifestyle | 0 commentaren

tumblr_static_asexual_pride_flag_heart_sWaarschijnlijk heb je er nog nooit van gehoord: aseksualiteit. Een aseksueel iemand is een persoon die weinig of geen seksuele verlangens heeft. Er is wetenschappelijk nog weinig over deze vorm van seksualiteit bekend, maar aseksualiteit wordt wel gezien als een volwaardige seksuele geaardheid.

Heeft een aseksueel persoon dan nooit seks? De meesten niet nee. Het is wel zo dat er verschillende vormen van aseksualiteit zijn. Vaak is er voor aseksuele mensen een onderscheid tussen aantrekkingskracht en seksuele drift. Sommige aseksuelen hebben wel een seksuele drift, maar geen verlangen naar seks met een ander persoon. Zij masturberen bijvoorbeeld wel. Andersom kan het natuurlijk ook. Aseksuelen kunnen ook geen seksuele drift hebben, maar zich wel tot iemand aangetrokken voelen. Zij worden dan bijvoorbeeld wél verliefd en ervaren intieme gevoelens, maar willen dan geen seks met die persoon.

Onbekende term
Seksuologe Astrid Kremers heeft in haar praktijk in Utrecht weinig te maken met aseksualiteit. Volgens haar komt dat omdat de term aseksualiteit nog heel erg onbekend is: “Mensen weten vaak zelf niet dat ze aseksueel zijn, omdat ze daar zelf nog nooit van gehoord hebben. Ze denken dan vaak dat ze gewoon weinig zin hebben of erkennen wel dat ze anders zijn, maar ze hebben geen idee dat er een benaming voor is en dat ze niet de enige zijn.” Uit onderzoek van de wetenschapper Anthony Bogaert blijkt dat ongeveer 1% van de bevolking aseksueel is. In Nederland gaat het dan dus om ruim 160.000 mensen.

‘Seks? Nee, dankjewel!’
Martin Rhebergen (52) is een aseksueel persoon. Hieronder hoor je al iets van zijn verhaal.

Martin is als aseksueel al een aantal jaar uit de kast. Hij schrijft zelf ook liedjes over aseksualiteit. In de uitzending van Campustalk van 16 oktober gingen we dieper in op aseksualiteit. Daar zag je ook Martin’s uitgebreide verhaal.

Seksuoloog Peter Leusink schoof bij ons in de studio aan om meer te vertellen over aseksualiteit. Uitzending 11 van periode A 2015/2015 is hier terug te kijken.

Edited by ithaca

oh man oh man, they're just smashing romantic and sexual orientations together

Dutch:

"Sommige aseksuelen hebben wel een seksuele drift, maar geen verlangen naar seks met een ander persoon. Zij masturberen bijvoorbeeld wel. Andersom kan het natuurlijk ook. Aseksuelen kunnen ook geen seksuele drift hebben, maar zich wel tot iemand aangetrokken voelen. Zij worden dan bijvoorbeeld wél verliefd en ervaren intieme gevoelens, maar willen dan geen seks met die persoon."

English:

"Some asexuals do have a sexual drive, but no desire to have sex with another person. They do masturbate for example. The other way around is also possible, of course. Asexuals can have no sexual drive, but still be attracted to someone. They can fall in love and experience intimate feelings, but they do not want sex with that person"

(sorry for the shitty translation, I'm only 15 and my English isn't perfect)

what they are describing is an asexual person with a sex drive and a romantic asexual person with no sex drive, basically.

It's cool that we're getting recognized though :D

• Like 2

Thank you for the translation and the work you put into it.

I think it's actually a pretty good article.

I was procrastinating, so I decided to translate the interview for all non-Dutch speakers. I hope I didn't make stupid mistakes.

Asexuali-what?!

Posted by Kayleigh van den Hout in 'Cultuur, Lifestyle' | 0 comments

You've probably never heard of it: asexuality. An asexual is a person who has little to no sexual desires. There is little scientific knowledge about this type of sexuality, but asexuality is still seen as a full fledged sexual orientation.

Does an asexual person never have sex? Most don't. There are different types of asexuality. For most asexuals there is usually a difference between attraction and sex drive. Some asexuals have a sex drive, but no desire for sex with another person. These can masturbate. The opposite is also possible: asexuals can have no sex drive, but do feel attracted to someone. They can fall in love, and experience intimate feelings, but do not want sex with that person.

Unknown term

Sexologist Astrid Kremers doesn't have many asexuals in her practice in Utrecht. According to her, that is because the term asexuality is quite unknown: "People often don;t know that they're asexual, because they've never heard of it. They often think they're just not that into it. In some cases they recognise that they're different, but have no clue that there is a name for it, or that they're not the only one." Research from scientist Anthony Bogeart shows that roughly 1% of the population is aseksual. In the Netherlands that means over 160.000 people.

'Sex? No, thank you!'

Martin Rhebergen (52) is an asexual person. Below you can hear something of his story.

This is a transcript of the sound cloud fragment:

"I have lain in bed with men in the past, it was always men in my case. I didn't like it, it didn't do much for me. I accepted that over the years, apparently that's the way I am. I am sexually inhibited or something didn't develop inside me, and well, that is how it is, so I try to make something nice out of it, out of life. And I think I've succeeded quite nicely. And then, a couple years ago, I encountered the word asexuality while browsing, I think it was wikipedia. So I read that, and thought: that's a funny word, let's see what that is. And I read that and was like: wow, that's about me!"

Martin has been out of the closet as asexual for a number of years. He also writes songs about asexuality. In the broadcast of Campustalk on the 16th of October we will look more closely into asexuality. There you can also see Martin's full story.

In the studio sexologist Peter Leusink will join us to tell more about asexuality. At 3 PM you can see the livestream of the broadcast on our homepage, and you can ask questions about this subject live to Peter. Do you have questions already? Leave it in the comments below.

I am following the page this was posted on to find the actual episode they're talking about. When it comes up, I'll try to post a link, and maybe make a transcript of that as well. Also, if I'm feeling ambitious, I might see if I can make a translation of his song.

The chorus of his song appears to be 'Sex, no thank you, you're already beautiful enough!'

• Like 1