Asexual but want a family?!?

VivianKitten

I identify as asexual but I'm I want to have a family. Which would reqire a man as I want to have kids and sex too. I don't know what this means. I also am strongly aromantic but I feel that to mee the idea of a family is romantic. Does desiring sex for procreation affect my status as asexual? I'd like your opinions. Thank you. :)

Hi. Asexuality only describes a lack of sexual attraction to other people, and sexual attraction is not required to have sex or to have a family, so I think it's possible.

I feel the same way as you! I want a family but am asexual and sex-repulsed. I'm thinking I'll just go for artificial insemination, but you can still have sex and be asexual! It doesn't even have to be sex for procreation. Many asexual individuals have sex for pleasure, they just don't feel sexual attraction.

I think that maybe you are limiting your options a bit to soon. In vitro fertilization plus surragacy have been around for a long long time and work very well. So, you might not need to have sex even to have biological children.

Also, just because I personally like the idea, have you considered adopting?

I've always wanted a family but seeing as I've recently realised the fact I don't want sex has nothing to do with 'not meeting the right person' and I've always said if I hadn't met anyone I wanted to sleep with by the time I'm 30 I'll start looking into adoption if the circumstances are right, that's my plan. There's lots of ways to go about it, but it wouldn't change your sexuality if you did want a partner and sex in order to have children. I mean, in the past homosexual people have had heterosexual relationships in order to have children (or is that only in movies?), so I don't see why asexual people can't.

Same same same, I love kids and definitely want a family some day, except I am pretty sex-indifferent so it's not the sex thing that bothers me... It's pretty much every biological aspect of motherhood... You have a little person who grows inside you... And then comes out and sucks on your tits. Yuck. But even though pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding all make me extremely uncomfortable to think about, I still want at least one biological child? I am a huge genetics nerd, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in seeing what my offspring would look like and grow up to be. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, I still have plenty of time... All the options besides biological birth probably get pretty expensive, though... Then again, children are expensive. :P