Has anyone actually found another asexual in real life?

Whirleh

Nope. The closest thing so far was a gay couple who paused their conversation and stared at my ring for a second.

I hope you were wearing it on the correct finger... they may have been wondering whether you are a swinger otherwise! ^_^

Which fingers mean what?

Is that sheer panic I can sense? :lol:

Have a look at this: http://www.lifestylerings.com/faqs.html

Nope. The closest thing so far was a gay couple who paused their conversation and stared at my ring for a second.

I hope you were wearing it on the correct finger... they may have been wondering whether you are a swinger otherwise! ^_^

Which fingers mean what?

Something like that... I'm not a swinger according to your link then, phew.

I meant on a general level if you'd found what rings on any fingers mean. E.g. I once read thumb rings are worn by bisexual girls (no idea if it's actually true) and various others.

Which fingers mean what?

Something like that... I'm not a swinger according to your link then, phew.

I meant on a general level if you'd found what rings on any fingers mean. E.g. I once read thumb rings are worn by bisexual girls (no idea if it's actually true) and various others.

I really haven't got a clue. I never wear rings or jewelry so I never looked into this as people would find it weird me suddenly wearing a black ring. I never heard of the thumb ring one.. I have an ace keyring though... Your post made me wonder too and there's lots of rubbish on the web...

anyone?

BlueWatermelon

Lmao. Yes I'm very aware of that. In fact it was one of my scares when I first started wearing it! Always right middle finger.
(A)rrogant Avian

I don't think so, but one of my friends might be aromantic, but I don't know if he's ace....

But I do know a pansexual and a lesbian, and a bisexual, they aren't quite friends, but more than acquaintances. It's funny, I seem to be acquaintances/friends with almost all the sexualities, but asexual! Why!? I really want an asexual friend in real life....

an indignant hedgepig

Yep, and didn't even know it. Came out to a friend a few weeks ago and he said, "Huh, imagine that. J is asexual, too."

Sure enough, I talk to J, who I have known for a few months at this point, and lo and behold, she identifies as ace. I think there are more of us than we know, it's just that they tend to be hiding, seeing as asexuality can be a really massive pain to explain to someone who doesn't understand it...

I was saying something about my ring during dinner after martial arts class, and the freshman regular asked "where'd you buy your ring?I need to get one, too." I have never been happier to have an irl ace friend!

FallOutAtTheMotionCityDisc

I actually posted a "I support asexual awareness week" as my cover photo on Facebook, and a friend of mine (from a Marine Biology summer camp of all places!) commented something along the lines of "As an asexual I appreciate your support"!! :D I was pretty excited to have known a fellow ace for over a year before I found out!!!

I was at an anime con this past fall. A person from my anime club let me ride with him to the con so I could meet up with my group later on. It was him, his new girlfriend and their mutual friend, H. The couple were in a very heavy 'newly-wed' phase so they were ditching us every other minute to go 'do it', do couple stuff, etc. H and I played video games, then went to the waterpark while waiting around for the con to open. He was blind without his glasses so I guided him. As a thank-you, he bought me a mini cake at the bakery (turns out we both loved cake).
We didn't interact too much after the first day what with the anime con and we were both too tired to talk on the way back. Didn't see H since that trip. But I did meet up with that person from the club again.

Guy: I'm surprised you two didn't become BFF's for life or whatever.

Me: Eh. *shrug* But why are you surprised?

Guy: Oh cause he's an asexual too. Panro-something but yeah. Asexual kinda like you.

Me: ....WHAT?!

I met an asexual and had no idea the entire time.

The only other asexual I know irl is my one friend I've known since third grade. One day a couple months ago she texted me and asked if I could help her figure stuff out a little bit because she knew I was asexual. I don't know if she's also aromantic though.

Fajita with Pretty OK Hair

I was talking with a few friends of mine in class, and sexuality came up. Turns out one of them is a romantic ace. I didn't bring up mine, because I'm scared of telling people.

I've yet to meet another ace in person. I found one on Facebook that lives in my area, but we have yet to get close enough to meet up in person.

Not directly, but an ex gf of a good friend of mine once mentioned:

"A girl that never had a boyfiend... Ehm boyfriend, and never craved one either"

What baffled me that her voice in this moment contained no negatives like dissmisal, pity or contempt.

That truly astounded me.

I guess I have acefriendly friends :).

_stillahomosapien_

Not directly, but an ex gf of a good friend of mine once mentioned:

"A girl that never had a boyfiend... Ehm boyfriend, and never craved one either"

What baffled me that her voice in this moment contained no negatives like dissmisal, pity or contempt.

That truly astounded me.

I guess I have acefriendly friends :).

Are you out to them? :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was at an anime con this past fall. A person from my anime club let me ride with him to the con so I could meet up with my group later on. It was him, his new girlfriend and their mutual friend, H. The couple were in a very heavy 'newly-wed' phase so they were ditching us every other minute to go 'do it', do couple stuff, etc. H and I played video games, then went to the waterpark while waiting around for the con to open. He was blind without his glasses so I guided him. As a thank-you, he bought me a mini cake at the bakery (turns out we both loved cake).

We didn't interact too much after the first day what with the anime con and we were both too tired to talk on the way back. Didn't see H since that trip. But I did meet up with that person from the club again.

Guy: I'm surprised you two didn't become BFF's for life or whatever.

Me: Eh. *shrug* But why are you surprised?

Guy: Oh cause he's an asexual too. Panro-something but yeah. Asexual kinda like you.

Me: ....WHAT?!

Of course he bought you a mini cake :lol:

I don't know anyone who is openly ace, but no one I hang out with is overly obsessed with sex and our talks really don't tend to focus that much on sexuality, after all there is much cooler stuff to talk about. ^_^ I know that one friend identifies somewhere on the asexual spectrum and I know someone who will likely identify as aromantic, but probably doesn't feel a need to label herself.

Scorpio-kage

A few months before I figured out that I was asexual, a friend of mine came out as asexual to our friend group. She doesn't know about me though, and I can't really seem to find a good way to tell her, I'm not really good with personal stuff. But I am happy that there is someone near me who feels the same way about sex as I do.

Someone I met while being an intern says he is.

After I told him I am.

But randomly people meeting and that, nope but I wish it happened.

I'd like to find more asexuals close-by instead of halfway the globe.

My best friend is an aromantic asexual, and I met a girl two years ago who told me she was demi-sexual. I also suspect my mom is somewhere on the asexual spectrum but I don't want to talk to her about it.

Of course he bought you a mini cake :lol:

Aaah, so asexual, well, courting rituals revolve around the size of the cake given, with smaller size = I know you less.

Interesting. ;-)

On topic: I haven't yet met any other asexuals in real life.

No, I never have. A friend of mine once went on a date with a guy who told her that he preferred cuddling and not much more. My friend was convinced he was asexual and wanted to set me up with him, but I don't even want a romantic relationship with just cuddling, so I declined.

I have sorta, but more like... reversed? She was a friend of my sister's during high school, and we didn't talk much, but I knew her. She ended up moving away and years later, found me on here [unaware of the fact that she had met me] and we figured out we knew each other and we were like HEEEEY!

We haven't really kept in contact though, but that was a pretty awesome moment. UuU!!

I've never just bumped into someone else who happens to be asexual.

I don't go out much though.

CraftyCritter

When I was first finding out about asexuality I thought it described my sister (she has the ring) and sort of asked her if she was apparently I came across rude... So yes but she isn't an AVENite and doesn't know I'm ace. I also have an online friend group of of AVEN and three of them are asexual.

I live with one. My sister is also asexual. I had a friend I thought was asexual but she's recently discovered that she's actually just gay but with some trauma which caused her to be really uneasy about sex which is totally understandable. I've men a few other asexuals, though it was mostly in my school's Queer Student Centre so it's more expected there. The only AVEN member I met was when there was a thread mentioning an anime con and I posted the character I was going as so somebody approached me to say hello. The biggest coincidental meeting wasn't actually online, but it was just someone I met on DeviantArt and we were rping a lot when one day I learned she was also asexual.

I realized someone in my college friend group, who I actually wasn't super close to during college, is ace. I found out because we both ended up in the same city post-graduation and started hanging out more. It came up in conversation that we both weren't super interesting in dating. She asked, "Would you call yourself asexual?" And I was like, "Yeah, actually, I recently started identifying that way." "Me too," she said.

But then it turns out that I was the first person she had told, even though we weren't super close. I felt really honored that she trusted me like that and also it was SO NICE to bond with someone about ace things in real life :)

Archived