Asexuality Infographic Script // Help Needed

littlewing

hi there! i'm currently an undergrad in art school, and i'm looking to do my next video project as an infographic about asexuality. however, i'm in need of some help writing my script. i'm looking to do a short (45 seconds to a minute) video that is slightly humorous but also extremely informational, and aimed toward high school/college age students. here's what i have so far, if anyone could help me out by suggesting what else i could include or aiding me with transitions between topics, that would be fantastic.

In a culture so obsessed with sex, it’s hard to believe that for many people, sex is not even on their radar. Current statitics suggest that about 1% of the population identifies as asexual--and no, that doesn’t mean they’re plants. Asexuality is defined as “a lack of sexual attraction to others.” Unlike celibacy, or the choice to abstain from sexual activity, being asexual is an innate part of a person’s identity. This doesn’t mean that asexuals are incapable of forming meaningful relationships, only that sexual attraction is not a basis for these relationships. Due to a lack of knowledge and representation in popular media, many asexuals may feel out of place or even broken. For more information, visit asexuality.org.

• 2 weeks later...

The FAQ would be a great way to draw up questions that people might have about this kind of thing. You could go into the types of attraction, and also the fact that some (but not all!) asexuals are also aromantic. If you want to get into it, many people are intrigued by the idea that some asexual people date and even marry sexual people (as I myself have done) in mixed relationships. Depending on the length of your infographic and how 'graphic' you want to get, you could mention the healthy compromise that such a relationship requires.

I hope this helps. I would love to see this project. Will you please post the link when you're done? :)

It took me about 13 minutes to even scratch the surface explaining asexuality to my classmates… only a minute of time, boy that sounds tough! I don't have any ideas to add though that HanBanan didn't already suggest ^^' Mm, I guess you could clarify that asexuality isn't often a result of sexual abuse, as some people tend to assume.

Well, good luck ^^

I agree that it will be tough to compress all the information into a minute; there is just so much you could say on asexuality!

Going into different types of attraction and the possibility of either queerplatonic or romantic relationships would be cool if you had time, but I doubt you'd be able to talk about that without adding more time.

I'd say what you have is a pretty good intro to asexuality, and seem to have given the basic idea. I liked that you referred people here at the end so that anyone who wants to learn more can.

Good luck with your project! I hope it turns out well!

Moving this thread to Visibility and Education Projects

Shadowed Phoenix, Announcements moderator

Archived