The Olivia Experiment now publicly available

Sennkestra

So if anyone’s been curious about The Olivia Experiment, it’s now available publicly via amazon and itunes (you do have to pay though). I think the cheapest option is a one-day rental for $4-5.

Amazon link here. iTunes link here. (ETA: it looks like it’s available on several other platforms like google play as well, but they all seem to have the same pricing).

You can watch the trailer here.

The main character is questioning her a/sexuality, and it also features a Berkeley asexual meetup group in one scene (though they are nowhere as fun or accepting as the real Berkeley asexual meetup group).

Be aware that it does have some really awkward asexual stereotypes (mostly in the beginning), though I think the conclusion of the movie was better done. Overall verdict: treatment of Olivia’s questioning a/sexuality = pretty decently done. Treatment of all the other asexual characters = pretty poor stereotypes. So it’s a mixed bag, but I think it’s worth taking a look given that explicit asexual representation of any kind is so rare, and there were several genuinely funny/touching scenes.

Also, re: the “have sex to figure out if you are asexual part” that seems to worry a lot of people – they actually handle this part pretty well in the end even though it may not look like they will at first, though I can’t say more without spoilers. But yeah I know it looks really skeevy but that’s not actually a part to worry about (in my opinion anyway, ymmv).

• Like 4

Thanks for the recomendation. Hopefully netflix gets it out soon.

The trailer makes it look pretty crummy. Feels like the 40 year old virgin made with a tad more class. I think I'll pass till I see it on Netflix.

ItAllMakesSense

I enjoyed it a lot!!!! It's too bad though that that meet up group in the movie seemed dull and mean compared to the ones in real life!