Aesthetic Attraction vs Physical Attraction

I did a search on here for no avail.

I would like to know the difference between aesthetic attraction and physical attraction, with references to legitimate sources if possible.

Also, when would it be appropriate to use one or the other. And also, when would someone become offended for using one over the other.

Sample (this is what I said, and it highly offended the other person):

Unfortunately, most people (regardless of gender) simply cannot form a romantic relationship without first being physically attracted. I can't think of a medium specifically designed to form romantic relationships (online or afk) solely based on intellectual compatibility and ignoring the aesthetic characteristics of people. <- I'm unsure about which part was offensive, and why

I'd love the help. Thank you.

When I think of physical attraction I tend to think of sexual attraction. Not sure if others associate the two. Maybe it's just me. I don't experience sexual attraction, and only experience a bit of sensual attraction, so if someone asked if I felt physical attraction (and I was comfortable enough to tell the truth.....) I would say no.

Aesthetic attraction, however, is something I do experience. It's basically just thinking someone looks nice/pretty/handsome/etc.

What may have been offensive is that it almost sounds like you were saying a romantic relationship requires physical attraction, which, if equated with sexual attraction, could be offensive to a romantic asexual

Hope that helps clear things up a bit!

I didn't find what you said offensive, although Ace of Cakes made a good point about why it might've been off-putting. Because not all people that enter romantic relationships do so because they found the other person [physically or aesthetically] attractive. It could be purely from their personality and how they interact. I've never been in a romantic relationship though, but I've had crushes, and most of them didn't have anything to do with looks!

As for the difference between physical and aesthetic attraction...they might get confused with each other as someone's aesthetics (how they look) might be based on their physical appearance or body type. Soooo...I'm not sure how to differentiate them cause I don't equate physical attraction to sexual attraction, especially since I don't feel the latter, but sometimes I will think someone is good-looking because of their physical features...? /feeling confused now lol

Anime Pancake

I don't think what you said was offensive. Actually I pretty much feel the same way.

I don't know what physical attraction is, but... yeah I always considered aesthetic attraction to be if someone looks attractive or appealing. Something like that.

When I think of physical attraction I tend to think of sexual attraction. Not sure if others associate the two. Maybe it's just me. I don't experience sexual attraction, and only experience a bit of sensual attraction, so if someone asked if I felt physical attraction (and I was comfortable enough to tell the truth.....) I would say no.

Aesthetic attraction, however, is something I do experience. It's basically just thinking someone looks nice/pretty/handsome/etc.

What may have been offensive is that it almost sounds like you were saying a romantic relationship requires physical attraction, which, if equated with sexual attraction, could be offensive to a romantic asexual

This helps me, but doesn't answer my question. Yes, I was saying saying that for most people, an attraction based on the body (in any way shape or form) of the person is required for them to pursue a romantic relationship. This might be aesthetic or "physical". Literally speaking, as per the definition of the word, one means something tangible in the 3rd dimension (physical) and the other is more specific and talks about characteristics. You can't say for example that 200lbs is aesthetic, but you can say that 200lbs is a physical characteristic. You could say that you find a person weighing 200lbs to be aesthetically attractive, but you wouldn't be referencing the factual specification, and more so the design and shape of the person.

I realize that to an asexual, this could be offensive. But I said most, and most people are vain, shallow, and focus on looks. You can berate me all you want, but this is life, these are facts. I understand that an asexual person might be less likely to consider physical attraction or sexual atraction up front. But for most people, if you're not compatible with someone in the 3rd dimension, most people won't give you the light of day.

My question still stands, what's the difference, when should I use which, and are there are official sources from which I can learn more from?

In my opinion aesthetical and physical attraction can go together, we can perceive someone's body in aesthetical categories as well.. Someone can have beautiful body too and we can find it attractive.

I experience physical attraction... I'd never think to call it aesthetic or, necessarily, romantic. Physical attraction for me is probably a lot like low-key sexual attraction, without involving genitals... in fact for the longest time when I was young, I didn't realize it wasn't sexual attraction.

I didn't find your comment offensive though I do believe I see the misunderstanding. I see it as similar to Ace of Cakes. If someone asked me if I experienced physical attraction I'd first assume they meant sexual attraction. I do believe aesthetic attraction is also physical, but much less so because it is focused on the visual. Physical to me implies an activity, and so sex. This appears to be the misunderstanding.

Where-ever you look...I doubt you'll discover an "official source"; but try starting your own thread from the following sources...

A stimulating critique of 'aesthetic attraction', I've recently encountered, is in a blog-site by The Thinking Asexual [March 22nd, 2014].

AVENwiki also provides a definitive introductory summary of 'Attraction' in it's various forms.

These complementary sites can provide a purposeful introduction to a subject that requires you to achieve a personal understanding. I suggest, you then follow threads that assist you to develop an understanding that you identify with. Good luck!

Cia 8)

WhenSummersGone

I feel Physical Attraction is Aesthetic Attraction and Sexual Attraction. Aesthetic Attraction alone to me means just good looks. I don't know what it's like to experience that Physical Attraction without an emotional connection first. I can tell when people are good looking though.

Shattered-Glass

I've felt physical attraction, minus the sexual part before. Personally, it means I want to be near them, or I'd want to cuddle/do romantic things with them. This is what started my last crush. I was physically attracted to a guy, but I had no sexual thoughts towards him. I just kind of wanted to chat with him, get to know him, I guess.

I see aesthetic attraction as being able to appreciate "impressive" looks, like a good six pack for example. I've had this before, but I'm not really physically attracted to them. I'm not sure how much sense I'm making right now, but.. yeah, lol. I've seen plenty of people who have good bodies, but ugly faces, which is a huge turn off for me.

No type of attraction is purely physical, because all of them (aesthetic, sensual, romantic, sexual) can be triggered by being attracted to a personality, in the case of a friendship that changes into romance or something sexual. So we need to separate primary and secondary types. If I simplify a lot, we can say that primary types of attraction are subtypes of physical attraction, and that 3 types of secondary attraction on 4 include a physical part but their origin is not physical by itself.

About "official" sources, I'm not quite sure about what you consider as official. Do you mean research which has been proven ?

I relate physical attraction to aesthetic attraction and neither has any correlation to sexual attraction imo.

I've felt aesthetic attraction (i'm not sure exactly about physical but definitely not sexual) but I don't really know if someone is good looking or not it's just my personal preference

This helps me, but doesn't answer my question. Yes, I was saying saying that for most people, an attraction based on the body (in any way shape or form) of the person is required for them to pursue a romantic relationship. This might be aesthetic or "physical". Literally speaking, as per the definition of the word, one means something tangible in the 3rd dimension (physical) and the other is more specific and talks about characteristics. You can't say for example that 200lbs is aesthetic, but you can say that 200lbs is a physical characteristic. You could say that you find a person weighing 200lbs to be aesthetically attractive, but you wouldn't be referencing the factual specification, and more so the design and shape of the person.

I realize that to an asexual, this could be offensive. But I said most, and most people are vain, shallow, and focus on looks. You can berate me all you want, but this is life, these are facts. I understand that an asexual person might be less likely to consider physical attraction or sexual atraction up front. But for most people, if you're not compatible with someone in the 3rd dimension, most people won't give you the light of day.

My question still stands, what's the difference, when should I use which, and are there are official sources from which I can learn more from?

What you said wasn't offensive to me, so I hope it didn't feel like I was berating you.

To me, 200lbs is an aesthetic characteristic. It has to do with looks. I still equate physical attraction with sexual attraction (or sensual attraction) -- the desire to do something physical with someone, not an appreciation of their physical characteristics.

Edited because @Rising Sun is correct

I don't see how finding someone physically attractive means you desire to do something physical with someone, whether sexually or in the romantic sense.

@ Ace of Cakes : You can't equate physical attraction with sexual attraction, because it would mean in that case that any type of attraction that isn't sexual can't be physical. But sensual attraction always has a physical component, when it isn't 100% physical.

@ Ace of Cakes : You can't equate physical attraction with sexual attraction, because it would mean in that case that any type of attraction that isn't sexual can't be physical. But sensual attraction always has a physical component, when it isn't 100% physical.

You're very right, I've edited my post to include sensual attraction. For me, the line where stuff stops feeling sensual and starts feeling sexual is very early, so I tend to forget how separate the two are for some. I apologize and hope that clarifies my point. I don't know how others define it, but to me aesthetic attraction is simply about looks, and may simply be fulfilled by admiring someone from afar, while physical attraction comes with a desire to be close to someone or do something physical with them.

Artemis Fowle

I think aesthetic attraction is like appreciating a person's look like appreciating a sculpture.

Like Michangelo's David. Do I wanna have sex with David. No. Do I appreciate his form yes.

Physical attraction I think is wanting to be close to someone (i.e hanging out, spending time together etc.) like going to the movies or watching tv or doing things together without the wanting to do sexual things with them. But that's my opinion.

I think aesthetic attraction is like appreciating a person's look like appreciating a sculpture.

Like Michangelo's David. Do I wanna have sex with David. No. Do I appreciate his form yes.

Physical attraction I think is wanting to be close to someone (i.e hanging out, spending time together etc.) like going to the movies or watching tv or doing things together without the wanting to do sexual things with them. But that's my opinion.

Hmmm . . . I think that I agree with this definition. Then sensual attraction would be wanting to cuddle or likewise when watching the movie.

I think though that my aesthetic attraction, when paired with liking someone's personality, comes across as physical attraction--which I wouldn't say it is. And I know that some people here have mentioned following people around so they get to keep looking at them, due to aesthetic attraction. So it can get a bit blurry, because these different forms of attraction are all ocurring in the same person.

WhenSummersGone

I also agree that Physical Attraction can also be sensual. I think I'm just used to it being about sex.