Is anyone here vegan? :)

paperwishes

I'm not sure where to post this, so I hope this is right!

I just became vegan this past spring. Are there any asexy vegans on AVEN?

Note: This isn't a discussion of ethics or a place for people to come say why they don't support veganism or something... So please don't do that!

*Waves* I went vegan almost 3 years ago and it was one of the best decisions in my whole life.

Brilliant idea to start a thread, I was actually thinking about doing it when I joined AVEN.

Please share your favourite vegan cake recipes, everyone! :cake:

I'm not vegan, as I still have honey and milk products. I don't have eggs or most sugar though (look up bone char filters). And obviously no meat or fish or rennet or mono and diglycerides. (I put this list out their so other people can look up that stuff, if they're not already aware of these things.)

I'm not vegan, as I still have honey and milk products. I don't have eggs or most sugar though (look up bone char filters). And obviously no meat or fish or rennet or mono and diglycerides. (I put this list out their so other people can look up that stuff, if they're not already aware of these things.)

I've heard the bone car filter is only used in the States... I still eat regular sugar. I cannot have milk products because about a year plus ago I developed an intolerance. That's actually what started my vegan transition.

Being vegetarian is good too! :) Do you think you will be vegan one day?

I wouldn't be able to last a day as one. I'm too much of a chickenaholic. Aside from the whole meat thing it seems kinda confusing with the different types where some drink milk and others don't but to each their own. I'm cool with what people want to eat as long as they pay me the same courtesy.

I've heard the bone car filter is only used in the States... I still eat regular sugar. I cannot have milk products because about a year plus ago I developed an intolerance. That's actually what started my vegan transition.

It's used in the states yes, but the states is the main exporter of processed sugar. Just because I buy in Canada doesn't mean that it is not from the states.

I could easily switch to vegan with cutting out cheese and milk, but choose not to. It's the eating something that was sentient that gets to me. Which I think is good becuase then it doesn't matter to me how nice they treat an animal, I still won't support killing it.

Cane sugar is possibly filtered through bone char. Beet sugar never is. Like you say, there's geographical differences, but I like playing on the safe side. I've been buying unfiltered raw sugar for the past couple of years, I am not sure what it's called in English. Unbleached or unfiltered, I read online?

Cane sugar is possibly filtered through bone char. Beet sugar never is. Like you say, there's geographical differences, but I like playing on the safe side. I've been buying unfiltered raw sugar for the past couple of years, I am not sure what it's called in English. Unbleached or unfiltered, I read online?

Raw, actually. And there's a liquid type that also isn't proccessed in the normal way . . .

I wouldn't be able to last a day as one. I'm too much of a chickenaholic. Aside from the whole meat thing it seems kinda confusing with the different types where some drink milk and others don't but to each their own. I'm cool with what people want to eat as long as they pay me the same courtesy.

If they drink milk, they are vegetarian.

It's used in the states yes, but the states is the main exporter of processed sugar. Just because I buy in Canada doesn't mean that it is not from the states.

I could easily switch to vegan with cutting out cheese and milk, but choose not to. It's the eating something that was sentient that gets to me. Which I think is good becuase then it doesn't matter to me how nice they treat an animal, I still won't support killing it.

If I didn't develop an intolerance, I would have had a hard time cutting out cheese... It was my favourite thing in the world. Now with my research I cannot help but think about how dairy is a product of rape... I can't even think about ever having it again.

EDIT: Not trying to make you feel bad!! It's just how I see it now.

Lacto-vegetarian, specifically. It does get confusing.

(@ cautionc, it is an issue that divides me, and I fully support it. Like I said, it's just that my moral reasons differ a bit in terms of cruetly not being the main factor, but the actually killing.)

Lacto-vegetarian, specifically. It does get confusing.

(@ cautionc, it is an issue that divides me, and I fully support it. Like I said, it's just that my moral reasons differ a bit in terms of cruetly not being the main factor, but the actually killing.)

I guess so. I only know of vegetarian, lacto/lacto-ovo vegetarian, pescetarian and vegan (and then vegans who still use honey... whatever that is).

I have been sudo-vegan for all of my life. This last year I have switched hard towards a pale diet due to my exercising habits still staying true to the heart of my vegan diet.

I say sudo vegan because I did have honey, butter, and processed sugars for many years. Now I am off butter completely and processed sugars. I will not have any gluten or grain products. I can't kick the honey. It is too damn good.

What is the point of making this comment in a thread for vegans? I'm curious and confused.

What is the point of making this comment in a thread for vegans? I'm curious and confused.

I don't know, but it didn't detract from the thread and got a new opinion in here, so I don't mind it either.

I have been sudo-vegan for all of my life. This last year I have switched hard towards a pale diet due to my exercising habits still staying true to the heart of my vegan diet.

I say sudo vegan because I did have honey, butter, and processed sugars for many years. Now I am off butter completely and processed sugars. I will not have any gluten or grain products. I can't kick the honey. It is too damn good.

Why do you not have gluten or grain? That doesn't have anything to do with animals as far as I know...

I am a vegetarian, but I eat more like a vegan, 99.5% vegan I would say. The only reason I do not use the vegan label for myself is that I know that animal products are sneaked into all kinds of things these days, from sugar and drinking water (via filtration process) to vitamin supplements, etc. I don't do enough to avoid such things, because it's just too much trouble.

Good attitude, Xavy. The definition of veganism is simple; doing (or better avoiding) everything you possibly can.

Just today I overhead some arse say "I'm a vegan who eats eggs, I mean, eggs are not as bad as dairy". Christ on a cracker!

I'm a vegetarian, but a vegan would understand my moral dilemna about this.

Medications often contain animal products as either part of the coating or to make a liquid thicker. What do you do to solve this when you have a health condition? For my depression with paranoia, I take the pills because if I didn't I would be a danger to myself and possibly others - no offense to animals and I love the things, if it was a choice between some gelatin each day and potentially causing harm to myself or another human being, I have to take the pills because there's no other option.

I still consider myself a vegetarian because although I have gelatin in my tablets, I'm fully aware of where it comes from and appreciate that it is against my morals. I avoid avoid avoid in other circumstances though.

I do use vegan cosmetic/hygiene products which I buy at Lush. At least there I am safe in the knowledge that none of the products have been tested on animals nor do they contain any animal.

It is sad how Vegans (And vegetarians to a lesser extent) are given a bad name through Animal Activist Extremists. People don't seem to be able to separate the two...as usual.

I refused certain meds in the past and will continue to do so. If you personally feel like it's very detriment to your health, you are still doing what you can. I am stoic as hell, but this is not a strongman competition. One could argue that this is similar to eating another animal if, and only if, you are starving. Depressions are serious. I feel you, mine started when I was 8 years old. My personal set of rules as an ethical vegan:

No animal parts anywhere under any circumstances. Not if my life depended on it.

No animal products (think lactose, for example) in medicine unless it is life saving.

And no medication unless I absolutely need it. Screw drugs!

I'm a vegetarian but not a vegan. I've considered becoming vegan but it seems really hard, harder than giving up meat.

I'm a vegetarian, but a vegan would understand my moral dilemna about this.

Medications often contain animal products as either part of the coating or to make a liquid thicker. What do you do to solve this when you have a health condition? For my depression with paranoia, I take the pills because if I didn't I would be a danger to myself and possibly others - no offense to animals and I love the things, if it was a choice between some gelatin each day and potentially causing harm to myself or another human being, I have to take the pills because there's no other option.

I still consider myself a vegetarian because although I have gelatin in my tablets, I'm fully aware of where it comes from and appreciate that it is against my morals. I avoid avoid avoid in other circumstances though.

I do use vegan cosmetic/hygiene products which I buy at Lush. At least there I am safe in the knowledge that none of the products have been tested on animals nor do they contain any animal.

It is sad how Vegans (And vegetarians to a lesser extent) are given a bad name through Animal Activist Extremists. People don't seem to be able to separate the two...as usual.

As Kanenas said, "The definition of veganism is simple; doing (or better avoiding) everything you possibly can."

There are just some things we CANNOT avoid... we are living in a non-vegan world... If you need to take medication that has animal products in it, then you must take it. This does not make you any less of a vegan.

Advice For Vegans on Tumblr is a great place to go for any information, and she also says, "All medication is tested on animals by law unfortunately, meaning that none of it is vegan. HOWEVER, please please do NOT neglect your meds. Veganism is about reducing suffering as much as is physically possible and sadly, It is the one area that vegans really can’t control. Until the medicine industry ceases to use animals, we have to make do. "

I agree with everyone here, avoiding animal products always is nearly impossible. I bought a guitar the other day knowing the glue they use probably has animal parts on it. You can't even buy a car without contributing to this industry. I am 100% against testing on animals, but i agree people can consume this things and still be vegan. It irks me when some people are like "well if you can't avoid animal products always then why try at all?". Nah man. Doing your best is veganism and it's extremelly important for the enviroment. Since veganism is more than a diet, it's a lifestyle.. even a philosophy, the more we are and the more we speak up the more chances we have of being heard by someone who has the power to stop animal testing. We aim so high, we have to be patient. But we will get there, i'm sure. Because if people get so defensive, angry, when you tell them about what goes down in a slaughterhouse, if they prefer to not listen, that is because they know it's horrible. I believe most people care. Most people are empathetic enough to not want to do this. They just need more information, more vegan resources, and think a bit about it. I'm sure people would stop using animals if they had to kill the animals themselves. No one visits a slaughterhouse for fun. They just choose to remain ignorant, while vegans work to throw some light into the issue and inviting them to look. I think trying to change people's minds is way more useful than worrying about taking non-vegan meds. I usually dont like saying this, but... the industry is so huge no one will notice that they lost a bunch of clients. Teaching people about the ethics of veganism has a greater impact on reality and i think it's an important part of being vegan. You wouldn't expect me, as a feminist, to watch how a guy is being abusive to his wife and say "it goes against my morals but it's rude to shove my beliefs to people". Fuck that. There are lives in danger. They depend on it. The whole planet depends on it. I dont have time for people who get angry about "preachy vegans". If we dont talk about it, we wont change anything.

It's cool that you mention this, I am a bouzouki player. My luthier of choice bought a pot of animal free glue just for me. Obviously, this is impossible for mass produced non-handbuilt instruments. Usually it's rabid or cow hide, or fish glue. It was the best gesture. Instead of even asking about horn, mother of pearl or abalone, he cut out various types of wood ornaments for me to pick from. My inlays, side dots, binding, purfling and rosette are all wooden. I am the only person to this day with a completely synthetic case, too. He ordered a friend of his to craft it for me without asking. Needless to say, it made me feel incredibly good and yes, babe status achieved :wub: :lol:

The only time I ever have 100% control is over my food. And as it goes inside my body and I do not just drive like a car, do not just play it like a guitar, etc. that is incredibly comforting for me to know. There's all this vegan food out there and I must barely ever abstain from something. When there's no commercial alternative, I can make it myself. I just made faux-mozzarella sticks the other day. That is most comforting for me to know, that even though I cannot stop speciesism, at least I don't have to poison myself with that "food". My body and mind remain pure. Then there's the question; are the resources ethical, can they be called vegan without squinting both eyes tightly? Coffee and sugar immediately come to mind. The working conditions often are far from being what can be considered vegan.

It's virtually impossible to find vegan car tires, so even if you have a completely non-leather interior... It's in the rubber. Because of that, some vegan companies started to produce condoms. Almost none of the store bought ones are free of casein. It's frustrating, but it has never in this life made me think that I should shelf my efforts altogether. You said this so correctly, veganism is not a diet, but ethics. I am vegan and I am green because I am anti-speciesist. It's nothing that I want on my tombstone, as it's obligatory for me. I wouldn't want people to write "Was not racist" on it, either! It doesn't faze me whether people come out in support for the cause or whether they try to diminish my efforts. Minor Threat's "In my eyes" comes to mind:

"You tell me that I make no difference
Well at least I'm fucking trying
What the fuck have you done?
"

I have always said this and fully stand behind it. Nobody in this world can be 100% vegan. But, if you really want to, 99%. This is my path in this life.

I am a vegetarian, but I eat more like a vegan, 99.5% vegan I would say. The only reason I do not use the vegan label for myself is that I know that animal products are sneaked into all kinds of things these days, from sugar and drinking water (via filtration process) to vitamin supplements, etc. I don't do enough to avoid such things, because it's just too much trouble.

The vegan things I consume and wear may even be well below your 99 %, but does that make me less of a vegan? I don't think so. I'm doing the best I can, but I'm not religious about it. What's more, there are so many products containing fishy ingredients that I don't know about, maybe never will ... how on earth is it possible to be a 100% pure vegan? But I'm just repeating what's already been said before.

To me, it's the right attitude that counts, and I'm normally very consistent in following a certain path.

Used to be vegan for about 10 years. Am vegetarian now as I'll occasionally eat eggs & some cheese & honey. But I eat that very vary rarely, and only originating from known sources like friends/neighbors who have hens, produce their own cheese or from bio stores that guarantee everything was produced ethically and without any funky substances/additives ;) If I can't find food that satisfies any of the mentioned criteria I am happy to go vegan again. I guess you could say I am vegetarian but bordering on vegan side of things as sometimes months could happily go by without me eating any eggs or cheese. I don't drink milk at all though ^_^

Used to be vegan for about 10 years. Am vegetarian now as I'll occasionally eat eggs & some cheese & honey. But I eat that very vary rarely, and only originating from known sources like friends/neighbors who have hens, produce their own cheese or from bio stores that guarantee everything was produced ethically and without any funky substances/additives ;) If I can't find food that satisfies any of the mentioned criteria I am happy to go vegan again. I guess you could say I am vegetarian but bordering on vegan side of things as sometimes months could happily go by without me eating any eggs or cheese. I don't drink milk at all though ^_^

What made you start eating eggs and cheese again?

Archived