where do you think we will be in ____ years?

So eventually there will come a day were Asexuality is known as a sexual orientation, while everyone may not accept it as something valid everyone will know that some people claim it to be it. your best guess, how many years off do you think this day is? Also I guess I am talking about the developed world here.

To me the movement seems to be snowballing. Tomorrow is generally more productive than yesterday, and so forth. I have my fingers crossed for 10 years, but realistically 20. what do y'all think?

In think it will happen in next 5 to 10 years. The discussion has started and the situation of aces looks much better than 3 years ago. There is more and more ace-positive information in media.

10 years ago, we barely had any idea the thing was going international, to say nothing of trying to claim a spot under the queer umbrella.

But it evolved and took shape much like the Web itself - sure sign of flexibility and staying power. Going forward, I see it as a natural thing, getting picked up without a lot of fuss within one generation.

I see it snowballing like other people said. I think infromation like this is a lot easier to get out now. However, it might flash and then die out. 5-10 years?

from little things big things grow, i've seen a lot more art around asexuality as of recent times than i saw when i first found out about asexuality,( as well as ace youtube channels, tubler pages, and facebook pages, not too mention the growth of this site, out all the forums on the web, this site is one of if not the most up to date sites i know) i think it's definitely snowballing and, sooner or later there are gonna be some "youtube famous" people to come out as ace, then more and more famous people, my guess is 5 years.

thatotherguy57

I think within a generation. There are more people who know a little about asexuality than I initially thought. I was astonished that my cousin knew about it when I came out to him, and that he wasn't surprised that I was (grey) asexual.

I think it will not be anytime soon because our community is not United enough in our views and opinions of what asexual is and what it means to be asexual. For instance, the OP refers to asexuality as a sexual orientation, but there are people in the asexual community who would say that it isn't a sexual orientaion, but rather a lack of one. This is just one example of how we don't agree.

until we present more united views on asexuality, the best we can hope for, maybe within the next 10 years, Is that it will more generally know that some people identify themselves as asexual, but what exactly that means varies from person to person.

I think it will not be anytime soon because our community is not United enough in our views and opinions of what asexual is and what it means to be asexual. For instance, the OP refers to asexuality as a sexual orientation, but there are people in the asexual community who would say that it isn't a sexual orientaion, but rather a lack of one. This is just one example of how we don't agree.

until we present more united views on asexuality, the best we can hope for, maybe within the next 10 years, Is that it will more generally know that some people identify themselves as asexual, but what exactly that means varies from person to person.

Hmm . . . the debate as to whether athiest is a religion or lack of one rages on, yet it has awareness . . .

Hmm . . . the debate as to whether athiest is a religion or lack of one rages on, yet it has awareness . . .

Whether asexuality is a sexual orientation or a lack thereof is not the only thing the asexual community disagrees on. Spend an hour reading through AVEN and you will see this clearly.
butterflydreams

I'm a realist, so 50 years? I first heard the word "asexual" referring to a person from my dad 10 years ago. Judging by the difference in knowledge between then and now, I extrapolate a very slow process.