how you came across AVEN and/or asexuality in general.

kelico

what brought you here?  

1. 1. What brought you to AVEN? (or first introduced you to the term 'asexual')

• a documentary (like (A)sexual)
    • a news source (online, paper, TV)
    • Tumblr
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • some other website (youtube, buzzfeed, etc.)
    • school
    • a friend/family member etc.
    • I don't remember.
    • My own intuition.
    • Google
    • other

This poll is closed to new votes

Soooo I'm not sure if this question/poll was already made at some point?? But if not, well, here it is! I read and welcome a lot of new members here that mention learning about AVEN (or the term asexual) through the documentary (A)sexual and the website, Tumblr. I would love to know what the most common sources are for coming to learn about asexuality and this great site!

I feel like I'm one of the only people that don't have a Tumblr lol. But apparently there are lots of memes and pages dedicated to asexuality there? I first came across the term asexuality last year...and I'm pretty sure it was a video/article that was shared on Facebook. That also led me to AVEN. : ) After that I talked a lot with a friend that turned out to be ace as well!

First hearing the term "asexuality" and first coming to AVEN could be separate/different...so that's why you can select multiple choices (and discuss in the posts!)

Thanks~ :cake:

One bi-sexual called me an asexual, when I was threatening.. well let's just say I was threatening someone in a very extreme non-gender way. Can't say that this word has given me that much (or anything at all). This happened some years ago, then I googled this term, found AVEN, but didn't registered.

Now I have registered only out of boredom.

RoswellValentine

I can't specifically remember how I found out about this, though I think I saw the term around the time I saw all the other sexualities and genders and such (which was roughly around the time I started high school, so a few years ago). I found AVEN when looking up asexuality.

littleheartsofjoy

Both Tumblr and Google for me. I wasn't looking for anything asexuality related on tumblr, but I came across a post that mentioned asexuality, and I wondered what it was. At that point, I have never seen it before so I chose to look it up on Google, but I also clicked the #asexuality or asexual tag in tumblr search as well.

WhenSummersGone

Google. I typed in Asexuality because I was curious about it and this site was one of the results. I looked at Wikipedia first though.

Other. I was taking an online quiz, and asexual fetishist is what I got. I wish I remembered what quiz included this term. I had no clue before taking the quiz, or while taking it. Or much of a clue after taking it, to be honest. I came to AVEN and have binged on it for a few days now.I actually saw the start of the asexual documentary and ignored it before.

It was my sister who introduced me to asexuality, saying she saw a documentary about it on Discovery Channel. I later came across the term on Wikipiedia and soon realized I'm asexual myself.

Awesome poll idea!

I had a few close friends at the time (couple years ago now) that I had liked to cuddle with but knew I did not want a relationship or anything sexual from them. This was the first time I had actually decided for myself that I didn't want a relationship in spite of these feelings (instead of going along with expectations like I'd always done). I Googled something along the lines of "liking cuddles but not wanting sex or a relationship" because I wanted to know if anyone else had similar experiences. And I was led to a thread on AVEN about that exact thing :D Until then, I had *never* heard the term asexual outside of biology class.

Finding that forum thread was the start of the biggest lightbulb moment in my whole life. The pieces slowly started falling into place and my life finally started to make some sense. The rest, as they say, is history :D

Google. I typed in something like "not interested in sex" and it came up.

I found out what asexuality is thanks to an article, but then I didn't connect it with myself. That came pretty later. My datefriend helped me see it. And I discovered AVEN when I typed 'asexuality' into google

Thanks for your responses so far, everyone! : ) It's really interesting. Google is in the lead right now, which does make sense. I look forward to more responses! :cake:

I first heard the term asexual on a book blog about a year ago. The blogger was discussing ten things that she hoped to find in upcoming novels. While I don't remember the other nine things she hoped to find, I remember finding that she wanted to see more asexual characters. For whatever reason, the word really impacted me, so I Googled it. Before I knew it I was crouched, hiding in a corner where no one could find me and I was reading AVEN and realizing just how much it fit.

A friend mentioned the term asexuality to me and then I did some googling and found AVEN.

I wanted to find asexual boyfriend because I was very old virgin (26 or 27) and I was afraid that any "normal" man would dump me because of it.

I first came across the concept of asexuality (outside of Biology lessons / connection with amoebae) in a magazine article that mentioned AVEN. At that time I didn't think it was possible for me to be asexual, because I was aware I was sometimes "attracted to" men and assumed that this "must really" be romantic and/or sexual attraction. It wasn't until I read more information on AVEN a year or two later that I started to realize the label "asexual" might be able to be applied to me.

Other. I took an online test and the result I got was "non-sexual". After looking it up on Wikipedia, I found out about AVEN.

Kelico, you are not the only one who has little to do with social media. I have facebook solely for distant family and use no other media.

I was actually told about AVEN and asexuality by a counsellor whilst receiving treatment for a psychiatric crash I had earlier this year due to physical and developmental issues. The counselling service actually gave me the AVEN website address to look at, and surprise surprise, the effect was like a lightbulb switching on. :)

• 1 year later...

I first heard the term asexual 8yrs ago from a friend, but I only recently heard of AVEN through YouTube and (A)Sexual while conducting my own research on the label.

allrightalready

it was talked about when i was doing things on yahoo answers though it took me years to accept being demi

My therapist and family were bugging me about dating after recovering from a real dark time. I knew I wasn't interested in finding any type of sexual relationship, so I googled looking for dating websites geared for platonic relationships. The results were all about asexuality, and from there straight to AVEN

I found AVEN while randomly surfing Wikipedia articles

Saw "demisexuality" on Tumblr, looked it up, found the spectrum and was like :o

Groovy Teacakes

A while ago a friend randomly made a comment something like "what if x(me) turns out to be pan or asexual or something?" when I don't think they even knew I was listening. I thought, what if I am, so googled it and found AVEN. (Before it had been wondering if I was pan because I felt the same towards all genders. However someone had told me that pan meant you might be attracted to inanimate objects and that I was not, so rejected it.) I read the FAQ and thought, meh perhaps that's me and forgot about it.

Then some time later someone else mentioned asexuality and I remembered and googled it again and then joined AVEN.

Google.

Googled 'I find people pretty but don't want sex?'.

Found AVEN shortly after.

Ippiki-ookami

I typed in something like Don't want to have sex into google, and Asexuality and AVEN came up, I'd never heard of it until that moment.

Pretty much exactly how I came across asexuality.

Never heard the word before and because I was starting to feel like I was the only one in the world who wasn't interested in sex I googled something like never want to have sex and eventually came across the word asexuality.

Archived