Anyone Else Hate the Terms "Boyfriend and Girlfriend?"

SuperHorace

I don't think too much of it.... then again I never dated anyone..... :P I do like partner, and I really like partner in crime [thank you tenebrae!!!!!] I'll probably think of some weird name to replace the whole girlfriend/boyfriend thing.... thats probably gonna happen

The word partner doesn't sound so nice. It's like you are talking about a business partner :ph34r:

Oh my gush, thank you!

Huh, What for? :blink:

Haha ^~^ It's just that partner is too simple, too shallow, and you expressed that perfectly! We need better words! ^~^

Some words might be Beloved; Sweetheart. Or gender neutral Significant Other; Boo; Goyfriend, or like my and Hayden's Datefriend

I don't think too much of it.... then again I never dated anyone..... :P I do like partner, and I really like partner in crime [thank you tenebrae!!!!!] I'll probably think of some weird name to replace the whole girlfriend/boyfriend thing.... thats probably gonna happen

The word partner doesn't sound so nice. It's like you are talking about a business partner :ph34r:

Oh my gush, thank you!

Huh, What for? :blink:

Haha ^~^ It's just that partner is too simple, too shallow, and you expressed that perfectly! We need better words! ^~^

Some words might be Beloved; Sweetheart. Or gender neutral Significant Other; Boo; Goyfriend, or like my and Hayden's Datefriend

Aw ^~^ But none of those work for her. She's too perfect.

I used to do the whole "my person" thing, but, eh, I dislike saying something that hints at ownership. I don't own him, he's allowed to leave at anytime, or to make his own decisions, or ect. He's not my belonging, my pet, or anything else like that. I've taken to calling him my mister to certain people, but I feel like it gives a slightly different connotation than "my person". I don't really favor the whole calling him my partner thing, it just feels too stiff to me.

If anyone is into The Immortal Instruments, you'll understand this reference. I've been dreaming of finding a parabatai for several years now, though that would essentially be my closest queerplatonic. I don't really feel like my romantic partner could be parabatai in my eyes.

I used to do the whole "my person" thing, but, eh, I dislike saying something that hints at ownership. I don't own him, he's allowed to leave at anytime, or to make his own decisions, or ect. He's not my belonging, my pet, or anything else like that. I've taken to calling him my mister to certain people, but I feel like it gives a slightly different connotation than "my person". I don't really favor the whole calling him my partner thing, it just feels too stiff to me.

If anyone is into The Immortal Instruments, you'll understand this reference. I've been dreaming of finding a parabatai for several years now, though that would essentially be my closest queerplatonic. I don't really feel like my romantic partner could be parabatai in my eyes.

I used to not be comfortable with calling her "mine" for the same reason. But I started because it makes things sound more romantic, and now I'm used to it ^~^

I used to not be comfortable with calling her "mine" for the same reason. But I started because it makes things sound more romantic, and now I'm used to it ^~^

The fact that we are our own person and don't belong to each other is kind of an important thing to me and my mister, though. It's odd, because we're both working on opening ourselves to the possibility of really truly being a "we" and not a "you and I", but at the same time we find it important to make the distinction that we are our own person still. It's hard to explain.

The fact that we are our own person and don't belong to each other is kind of an important thing to me and my mister, though. It's odd, because we're both working on opening ourselves to the possibility of really truly being a "we" and not a "you and I", but at the same time we find it important to make the distinction that we are our own person still. It's hard to explain.

I get what you're saying. It makes plenty of sense to retain that independence. But with her, I'm looking to be by her side as much as possible, functioning with her as one unit ^~^

I get what you're saying. It makes plenty of sense to retain that independence. But with her, I'm looking to be by her side as much as possible, functioning with her as one unit ^~^

One unit. That's something I don't totally feel safe with at this point. I kinda like the idea two units functioning together, able to function alone, but not able to reach their full extent of capabilities without being connected to the other. Two units conjoined in this vast world of creatures floating around.

Relevant tumblr post

10703648_10152716933166840_4266745259294

I think I've gotta start calling my partner my mulkvisti. They are agendered and I liked not using boyfriend/girlfriend near the beginning partly because I think it encouraged me to look at my partner as... well, a partner and not something new and shiny. I'm against personfriend for myself for that very reason.

Mulkvisti seems to fit us perfectly

One unit. That's something I don't totally feel safe with at this point. I kinda like the idea two units functioning together, able to function alone, but not able to reach their full extent of capabilities without being connected to the other. Two units conjoined in this vast world of creatures floating around.

I know people who skew more in that direction. But there's just something so perfect for me about working together on everything, being this amazing unit. ^~^

I like to think that if I ever have a significant other, I'd feel able to refer to them simply as "my friend". But then, I might be aromantic. :unsure:

Really, now that this thread has been going on for a while, I've been thinking, sure my partner is my partner. But that's not how I actually refer to him or think of him.

He just is.

Panther Shark

I hate saying boyfriend, only use to express who he is to me with people who do not know our quirks. Usually call him my love or Dragon/Dragon Wolf. I am Panther/Panther Shark (hence my name :D). I hate the term cute for us. I call us quirky. Cause that is what we are. Very very quirky. We are totally not your stereotypical romantics.

RoswellValentine

I don't have any feelings about boyfriend or girlfriend, but then again I still have yet to date anyone. :/ I get the feeling that I wouldn't appreciate someone calling me their girlfriend, though I still have yet to find a way to transition to neutral.

I did find a list of gender-neutral titles for a whole bunch of things from relationships to family, and I've looked at it while thinking to myself "It'd be nice if I could use ____ and _____ instead of ------ and ------."

Yup, I'm trying my best to avoid "my"-constructions in regard to people, too, for this very reason.

However, "partners" does work just fine for the type of relationship that R. and I share with each other. That, and the delightfully geeky "shipmates". :)

Heh. Making things sound romantic is a big reason for me not to start using it... :P

What about 'lover' ?

Mff. Too sexual for me.

To me lover isn't sexual at all.

"Partner" is good if you're a cowboy...I think "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" are fine.

I no longer like the term partner. I am now as lost as anybody else in regards to what to call people I have a romantic relationship with. I suppose I can just refer to them as "people I have a romantic relationship with" from now on.

Sometimes I hate boyfriend and girlfriend but even more than that I have a deep, deep hatred for bae and daddy. Makes me want to puke.

Saying "my" doesn't necessarily imply ownership though.

To use a recent example, I was talking to somebody regarding "my doctor". I obviously don't own my doctor in any way. She's just the person I happen to see for my various doctory needs.

"Partner" is good if you're a cowboy...I think "girlfriend" and "boyfriend" are fine.

Don't cowboys typically say it as "pardner"?

In any event, the term exists well outside that particular sort of context >_>

I would dearly love to own my doctor or dentist. Then I could take them out when they do something wrong and make them fix it.

But yea. MY is just showing that its yours in a way that it might not be YOURS.

My partner (and in this respect we are partners, We share in everything equally. Which is what I believe the term conveys) is MY partner. He's not Philips' or Superhorace's.

As a gender fluid person who's dating a gender fluid person, we've never had he problem of 'boyfriend and girlfriend' but it has always felt to me, like other people here I guess, a little childish. Not that that's a bad thing of course but it really doesn't fit my relationship. I tend to go for 'datemate' because it's a very equal and neutral term but also 'partner' of course to people either of us might not be out to, or people maybe of the older generation who wouldn't understand what 'datemate' is. If both of these fail, 'person I'm dating' works just as well to clarify :3

I hate that people couple together period. It doesn't make sense. Why can't people live in groups!?

I hate that people couple together period. It doesn't make sense. Why can't people live in groups!?

A great question. I sometimes wonder the the crumb people don't group. But there's something so special, so magical about a couple. It's just magic. Two is even great for friends. Two best friends are always closer than three. Does that make sense?

A great question. I sometimes wonder the the crumb people don't group. But there's something so special, so magical about a couple. It's just magic. Two is even great for friends. Two best friends are always closer than three. Does that make sense?

I can't manage multiple relations well, but would still like one at least!

Yup, I'm trying my best to avoid "my"-constructions in regard to people, too, for this very reason.

However, "partners" does work just fine for the type of relationship that R. and I share with each other. That, and the delightfully geeky "shipmates". :)

Heh. Making things sound romantic is a big reason for me not to start using it... :P

Shipmates! I love shipmates!

I have issues with any gendered words so I'm often looking for substitutes which often leads to ambiguity. Luckily I don't care how other people percieve my relationship so I just introduce my best friend to them and let them be confused when we act like a couple.

ChainSmokingBob

I would personally only ever use 'partner'. I don't think anything else evokes quite the same respectful impression, and that's what it's all about to me.

I would personally only ever use 'partner'. I don't think anything else evokes quite the same respectful impression, and that's what it's all about to me.

Thank you. It's that respect. But the thing is, it's different when you're together. I respect my sweet to the ends of the earth--trust me. There are lots of things about her that most guys would be disturbed about, but I just love them because they make her her. ^~^ Being in a relationship should have all the respect in the world. It should have, in fact, a heightened sense of respect. But there's this magic about it. You have this natural need to come up with affectionate names (Is that just me? I could list out all of mine for my sweet ^~^ I'd probably miss some), and using these affectionate names shows how much you love your (Sweet, partner, partner in crime, shipmate, etc.), and it just makes everything better. Maybe partner works if you want to achieve some distance, but I personally don't want to be distanced from my sweet. If I could, I'd be next to her 24/7, making a perfect team with her. It'd be weird to see one of us without the other. Does that make sense?

Archived