Anyone Else Hate the Terms "Boyfriend and Girlfriend?"

SuperHorace

I hate those words. I don't wanna be a boyfriend and I don't wanna call my sweet my girlfriend. I love her deeply, (Deeply. Look at my other posts X3) but I still hate those words. I also hate "babe." It's cute when she calls me baby, but I usually put her beautiful name before it before I call her baby back. It's like cushioning so I don't have to feel as weird about myself. Anybody else like this?

I hate the term wife and sometimes husband.

I shudder every time someone uses it.

also boyfriend and girlfriend too. It's so cheesy.

I actually like partner and partner in crime.

Wife is cute, although sometimes I'm a little odd about it. I flat-out dislike husband. When coupled, though, "Husband & Wife," it sounds really cute ^~^

also boyfriend and girlfriend too. It's so cheesy.

I actually like partner and partner in crime.

OH MY GOSH. PARTNER IN CRIME. I'VE LOVED THAT ONE FOREVER. WE MUST CHAT

Once I get a girlfriend I'm probably going to refer to her as my partner :P

That's cute ^~^ You'll find that sweet one day. ^~^

From what I've seen on here, Axe will get a partner in crime..

Though that would be scary cuz ya know.. he's rather devious. :p

I don't hate the terms, but I find them to have weird connotations of the relationship not being serious, and somewhat inadequate for a world that has non-binary people in it. I much prefer partner (but that can sometimes imply that you're gay, in my experience) or SO.

(And for married people, the best term I've ever come across is 'the spousal unit'.)

I never used to think that much about the terms boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't mind the term boyfriend, but these days the term girlfriend I do dislike. Because technically biologically I'm a girl, but I don't consider myself a girl, ya know? But everyone ELSE does. Because I'm not transgender, I'm just neutrois, and the world doesn't get into that or pay attention to it. Plus, well, the flack I get for rarely mentioning the foolishness of gender binaries, well, I don't really get into it anymore.

But the day is coming that it will happen, that I will be called someone's girlfriend, and I'm avoiding and dreading it. I'm grey-aromantic bisensual, and just because the person I happen to have finally fallen in romantic love with happened to be a heterosexual guy I fear being pushed into that title by the people around me. People will look at me and think, "Oh, that's his girlfriend." I just want to be their love, their partner, not their girlfriend. Oddly enough I don't hate the idea of being considered his wife someday, not sure why. Husband and wife just doesn't seem so terrible.

I prefer the word "partner" for two main reasons:

1) "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" seem a little bit too young for me, I'm in my twenties, I'm a woman not a girl, so I don't really want to be referred to as such...

2) more importantly, I prefer to use a gender-neutral term, so that people can't automatically make assumptions about my sexuality/gender preferences. Although I identify as hetero-romantic I believe in smashing hetero-normativity, and also, quite frankly, if I had a partner, then their gender isn't relevant to anyone else's life...

Manic Pixie Dream Nerd

Girlfriend I'm okay-ish with being called. But calling a guy my "boyfriend?" Eww! I don't like that word!! X(

I actually like the term partner better. Mainly because boy/girl friend sound childish, and also if I never get married I don't want to call my partner by those names.

Partner seems reasonable, mind, to me, the worst two expressions come from London, the "other 'alf" and "er indoors" neither of them especially flattering in my view. "significant other" seems a bit clinical and soulless, whereas to some people "soulmate" is a nice term of endearment.

With the best will in the world the vast majority of the population exists as a sex binary and the minority find themselves coerced into using majority terms simply because they are the only ones too many people understand.

butterflydreams

Partner is obviously pretty neutral, and most people in most places are aware of what it means at this point. I'd probably used that among mixed company, but if we were together, or with friends? "Getaway driver" for sure :P

The only real problem I have with the terms is the weird gender-related "rules" that are (sometimes subtly) applied to them.

For example: Girls can have "girlfriends", just people who they go out with and do stuff and have a good time with, essentially just typical friends. But guys having "boyfriends"? Gaaaaaaaaaay.

I generally prefer the term "partner" as well. It conveys much more of the idea of the kind of relationship I'm referring to when I use it.

I heard a lot about partners. I found this interesting. I dunno. My sweet's more than just a partner. She's my entire world. Partner in crime is better because it makes her my equal, my teammate. I relate us to the Ice Climbers (Anybody get that reference?) because even though she's in another state (Pain...) I wanna be right next to her all the time, both of us working together. One unit. Mygush, I love her.

alpacaterpillar

Ah yes, the Ice Climbers, who function as a single character in SSBM and SSBB :D One (two?) of my favourites too.

Even if my partner was, er, more than a partner, I think "partner" sums up the technicality of our relationship (we're boyfirend and girlfriend so just take that into account please), whereas our actual feelings are... ours to express between us. Does that make sense?

Thats my philosophy completely. I give other "normal" world a term to use and then use other terms with my PARTNER that are usually known to us/

Unless your partner is a tactless wonder and blabs it to the whole world.

Partner is easier to say than Significant other. or other half.

Manfriend... :D there's a good thing to use.

Ah yes, the Ice Climbers, who function as a single character in SSBM and SSBB :D One (two?) of my favourites too.

Even if my partner was, er, more than a partner, I think "partner" sums up the technicality of our relationship (we're boyfirend and girlfriend so just take that into account please), whereas our actual feelings are... ours to express between us. Does that make sense?

Yeah, that makes sense, I guess... I just love her too much for her to be just a "partner" for me.

And I'm glad you knew what I was saying ^~^ Love Smash Bros.

Well, usually I don't have much against them. It's just when someone is somewhere else on the gender spectrum. Me and Hayden call each other Datefriends. Though she can call me girlfriend. I took datefriend because of her, so we are the same.

TheStarrySkai

I don't think too much of it.... then again I never dated anyone..... :P I do like partner, and I really like partner in crime [thank you tenebrae!!!!!] I'll probably think of some weird name to replace the whole girlfriend/boyfriend thing.... thats probably gonna happen

I'm not big on "partners in crime" simply because my mind can't help but interpret it literally, and I am generally a moral and law-abiding citizen :<

FinallyReadyToBeHere

If I ever get a person, that is what I will call them: "my person". I always fumble about with words and sometimes if I'm dealing with non-heterosexuals or people who are outside of the gender binary, I tend to ask them or talk to them about their person.

I don't think too much of it.... then again I never dated anyone..... :P I do like partner, and I really like partner in crime [thank you tenebrae!!!!!] I'll probably think of some weird name to replace the whole girlfriend/boyfriend thing.... thats probably gonna happen

The word partner doesn't sound so nice. It's like you are talking about a business partner :ph34r:

The word partner doesn't sound so nice. It's like you are talking about a business partner :ph34r:

Oh my gush, thank you!

I thought I was alone in this. Good to know others feel the same way !

I call my partner my partner. Obviously. And this is how I introduce him to people. If I was to get married, I think I'd still use partner, although I'm not against using husband/wife. Boyfriend and girlfriend have a teenage-y connotation in my mind.

You know what, I actually prefer the term "partner" now that I think about it.

Oh my gush, thank you!

Huh, What for? :blink:

Oh my gush, thank you!

Huh, What for? :blink:

Haha ^~^ It's just that partner is too simple, too shallow, and you expressed that perfectly! We need better words! ^~^

Archived