How much water do you drink? (Read first post before doing the poll)

Ultima

How much water do you drink? (Read first post before doing the poll)  

1. 1. Do you like drinking water over other beverages?

• yes
    • no
    • Does not matter
    • I hate water
  2. 2. Do you drink more or less water than is recommended to stay healthy?

• more
    • less
    • exactly
    • depends
  3. 3. How do you prefer your water?

• Cool/Lukewarm
    • Ice cold
    • warm
    • hot
    • Do not care
    • I hate water
  4. 4. How do you feel about tap water?

• It is fine
    • Does not matter
    • I filter my tap water
    • I only drink bottled water
    • I hate water

This poll is closed to new votes

Ok so, how much water you should be drinking depends on many factors, but mayoclinic.org says (other sites give similar numbers) that on average most men need 3 liters of water and most women need 2.2 liters of water per day. Generally, the water you need is based on how much you weigh, level of activity, and climate of your environment.

I found this calculation:
“There are many different methods for calculating daily fluid requirements. However, a simple equation to help adults figure their fluid needs is that for every pound of body weight, you need about half an ounce of fluid intake per day. For instance, if you weigh 140 lbs., simply multiply 140 by .5 to estimate your daily fluid needs in ounces, then divide by eight to estimate your fluid needs in cups per day, rounding up to the nearest full cup. [example: 140 x .5 = 70 ounces; 70 ounces divided by 8 = 9 cups of fluid per day]”

on the following website:
http://www.myfooddiary.com/resources/ask_the_expert/recommended_daily_water_intake.asp

For metric users, 70 ounces is about 2.1 liters.

For me, I do not watch how much water I drink in a day but I have a 5 gallon drinking dispenser in my room that I fill up twice a week, so about 10 gallons a week. My weight is about 210Lbs(95kg) so I probably drink more water than I actually need.

For the most part I drink mostly water and occasionally juice or tea. I used to drink milk, but the calories are just too much. I do not drink anything that is carbonated or alcoholic because they taste terrible to me. I have no trouble drinking water from the tap and do not normally filter my water.

I drink more than enough water. So if I add the water I drink, plus other drinks and the food I eat I am way above the 3 liter minimum requirement (3 liter isn't really enough, it is the minimum level).

Other thn that I liek it ice cold and drink from the tap ;)

I drink a lot of water... I have a 500mL bottle that I probably fill up three to four times through the day from the tap (it's fiiii-iiiiiiiine and free).

It's important to note that other drinks do actually count towards liquid intake, and watery fruits and soups can contribute as well. In all, I probably tend to drink exactly what I need, but I wrote "depends" because I drink a lot more if its hot and I'm exercising.

I drink more than enough water. So if I add the water I drink, plus other drinks and the food I eat I am way above the 3 liter minimum requirement (3 liter isn't really enough, it is the minimum level).

Other thn that I liek it ice cold and drink from the tap ;)

I agree, 3 liters is the minimum for me as well.

Like OP says, many factors. I feel severely dehydrated with less than 2.5 liters and get disgusting headaches. Even if I only sat on my arse that day. As I lift quite heavy and skate or play football every other day, I aim to drink 4 liters. More makes me feel lightheaded.

I probably drink more than I should, but then there are the days when I get busy or distracted and don't drink enough. I get headaches and backaches when I don't drink enough, so I try to keep hydrated.

I don't really keep tract of how much water I drink but I know that it is enough to stay hydrated cuz my pee is usually clear. :) Something I took away from 9th grade biology.

Well, I only drink tap water (which is just fine where I live) and I like it cooooold. That calculation says that I need about 1.6 liters which is probably a bit more than what I drink everyday.

I don't really keep tract of how much water I drink but I know that it is enough to stay hydrated cuz my pee is usually clear. :) Something I took away from 9th grade biology.

You know that is what I learned in high school as well. But some biologists are saying that how clear your urine is, is not as important as how it smells. If your urine is particularly pungent, then you may be very dehydrated.

Well, I only drink tap water (which is just fine where I live) and I like it cooooold. That calculation says that I need about 1.6 liters which is probably a bit more than what I drink everyday.

Yeah, I would not put too much stock in the calculation either. I just put that there so that people had an idea of what enough water is. Several studies have shown that Americans are dehydrated even if they do not think they are and many people think they drink enough water when in reality they do not:

http://www.phd1.idaho.gov/home/publicinfo/documents/fach_water.pdf

You know that is what I learned in high school as well. But some biologists are saying that how clear your urine is, is not as important as how it smells. If your urine is particularly pungent, then you may be very dehydrated.

Interesting. Well then luckily either way I'm hydrated, but I'll keep this info in mind from now on.

I drink a loooot of tea. Does that count?

Well, yes and no.

In terms of hydration it probably has the same benefits, but if you add sugar to it then that could be a negative because liquid sugar gets digested instantly and can add a lot of calories very quickly. Sugary drinks are believed to be one of the major causes of Type 2 Diabetes. Now if you do not sweeten your tea or use a zero calorie artificial sweetener then your tea is probably just as good as water in terms of hydration.

That said, it is my opinion that tea is tea and water is water. Although tea is mostly water, it has other ingredients. If you count any liquid beverage that contains water in it as "water" then even beer qualifies.

Yeah, I would not put too much stock in the calculation either. I just put that there so that people had an idea of what enough water is. Several studies have shown that Americans are dehydrated even if they do not think they are and many people think they drink enough water when in reality they do not:

A lot of people I know don't drink enough water because they just can't stand the taste.

There is no way I can drink 10 glasses (8 oz.) of water a day... On a hot day, I might probably drink up to six. I'm just never that thirsty.

A lot of people I know don't drink enough water because they just can't stand the taste.

My mother is the same way.

I drink about 4 or even 5 litres per day. I very rarely drink anything else besides water. I prefer specific brands of bottled spring water.

I definitely taken in a lot more fluid than the calculators advise as a minimum, although sugar-free soda is a major proportion of this intake, so is coffee. Tap water depends on where it comes from. I live in a hard water area so I find it fine, but if I am in a soft water area I find the taste too acidic, and have to drink bottled.

Beyourownspotlight

I drink a lot of water... I have a 500mL bottle that I probably fill up three to four times through the day from the tap (it's fiiii-iiiiiiiine and free).

It's important to note that other drinks do actually count towards liquid intake, and watery fruits and soups can contribute as well. In all, I probably tend to drink exactly what I need, but I wrote "depends" because I drink a lot more if its hot and I'm exercising.

in the care sector things like jelly, ice cream, cream, milk, fruit juice, soft drinks, soups, and the likes all count towards fluid intake, to the point we record them on fluid balance charts when we have patients who need to stay under x amount of water for their health, or need above y amount of water for their health.

So really you don't need to drink 3L of water a day. I mean if you want to I suppose go ahead, but remember you can make yourself seriously ill if you drink too much. So don't go from drinking 1.5L a day to drinking 3-4L the next day.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I love water! I only recently found out I've probably been dehydrated for the (almost) first 2 decades of my life, so I upped my water intake to 1.5L of tap water (in my huge bottle) plus 3 cups of green tea a day. :)

EDIT: It's favoured water, so absolutely! Tea reigns supreme! Along with water and wine :wub:

If you don't drink enough water, you'd die. It doesn't matter how you take your water, as long as it isn't contaminated with something that'll kill you or make you very ill....

I very rarely drink plain water, so I obtain my dihydrogen monoxide from various other beverages. Obviously it's enough, otherwise I wouldn't have made this post.

WhenSummersGone

No, depends on if I'm hot or exercising, Ice cold and it is fine. I prefer other drinks like Iced Tea, Iced Coffee or juice. I don't care what studies say lol.

I hardly usually drink enough. I drink enough for me, enough I don't feel thirsty

littleheartsofjoy

I hope some of you know that there is also such thing as drinking TOO much water. It's possible. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

Old link but something to think about.

Anyway, I don't drink enough water. At the same time, I don't drink any soda, coffee or related things. I only drink a very small amount of juice, but mostly water. Ugh tap water is gross to me, unless it has a filter. I would like to get better with drinking enough water, but I don't like running to the bathroom so much because of my water intake.

I swear I'm a fish...I drink water all throughout the day. I always have my water bottle with me that I refill. I wish I could've selected two choices for how I like to drink my water: cool and/or ice cold. Just depends on how cold I can get the water (as almost all I drink is tap water from our well).

I swear I'm a fish...I drink water all throughout the day. I always have my water bottle with me that I refill. I wish I could've selected two choices for how I like to drink my water: cool and/or ice cold. Just depends on how cold I can get the water (as almost all I drink is tap water from our well).

I'm so going to quote that. :P

For the record, fish breath water.

I'm so going to quote that. :P

For the record, fish breath water.

Haha! I feel so honored to be quoted by the great Doctor! :lol: Thank you! Lol I can't go without my water...I assume by now that I do breathe water. Gills are hidden somewhere.

I love water! I only recently found out I've probably been dehydrated for the (almost) first 2 decades of my life, so I upped my water intake to 1.5L of tap water (in my huge bottle) plus 3 cups of green tea a day. :)

EDIT: It's favoured water, so absolutely! Tea reigns supreme! Along with water and wine :wub:

Too bad that both wine and tea dehydrates you :p

Also another important note is that it doesn't help drinking much water in a ahirt period of time as it will just pass right through your body. A moutful water is actually the optimal considering how much watr the body will then actually use to hydrate itself instead of going right to your bladder.

Too bad that both wine and tea dehydrates you :P

Also another important note is that it doesn't help drinking much water in a ahirt period of time as it will just pass right through your body. A moutful water is actually the optimal considering how much watr the body will then actually use to hydrate itself instead of going right to your bladder.

How does tea dehydrate you?

I hope some of you know that there is also such thing as drinking TOO much water. It's possible. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill/

Old link but something to think about.

Anyway, I don't drink enough water. At the same time, I don't drink any soda, coffee or related things. I only drink a very small amount of juice, but mostly water. Ugh tap water is gross to me, unless it has a filter. I would like to get better with drinking enough water, but I don't like running to the bathroom so much because of my water intake.

It should be noted that you have to drink a very large amount of water for it to be dangerous. Drinking a lot of water usually only becomes dangerous for people who do not eat anything while drinking a lot of water (i.e. models who diet) or do not urinate when they need to (i.e. stupid radio show contest).

Too bad that both wine and tea dehydrates you :P

How does tea dehydrate you?

Because you pee the water out instead of absorbing it into your body.

I should drink around 7 glasses of water per day, apparently according to the calculation provided. I usually manage about 4 of those lol

Archived