Should We Be "Proud" Of Being Asexual?

Contrarian Expatriate

that was well said, being needlessly proud of sexual orientation,race,creed, or any situational circumstance isn't good. all to often it just leads to arrogance, which can cause widespead alienation of people around you. it's true that it is nothing to be ashamed of, nor to be admired for. it just another aspect of the human condition.

I emphasized that while I am in no way ashamed of being asexual, I am not proud of it either. It is just an element of my personal make-up.

This would explain just how I feel as well.

Just taking it for face value. The original response by Blace was pretty cool. I understand where you're coming from. And no, I can't feel proud for something that I have not accomplished. I am asexual. And I am happy with that.

alicepractice

I feel neither proud nor ashamed of my asexuality - it's not a positive or negative thing in my eyes, it just...is.

When I say I'm proud of being asexual, to me it means I'm proud that I identify as such and am introducing other people to the concept. I'm proud that im comfortable with my asexuality. In this sense being proud of being asexual can be pride over something accomplished, instead of just pride over being born as a certain orientation. Its all in the interpretation and use.

but proud of being asexual means that you are proud that you are an asexual. That's pretty much not subject to misinterpretation.

Sinead Buckley

I know what you mean. Usually the only groups that emphasize pride are people who've experienced discrimination or been persecuted in some way. In showing their pride they're just defending their right to exist, but asexuals on the whole haven't experienced any mistreatment to the degree the LGBT community or other minorities have faced so we really don't have any cause to utilize pride as a means of offense or defense. I don't want my whole identity to be wrapped around asexuality or have my relationships with other people be based off of it. For the most part I'd rather not tell anyone at all because I can't see why the would even be interested by my lack of a sex life. There's nothing to be interested about if nothing's ever going on in the bedroom!

Yeah, as with the OP, I think "pride" can be a problematic word, because people interpret it like you're proud of something you have no control over (your orientation) in the same way you might be proud of an accomplishment (like if you were an athlete who trained really hard and won competitions). I think it's mainly useful to point out that you are not ashamed of something, but I tend to avoid using the word, myself.

When I say I'm proud of being asexual, to me it means I'm proud that I identify as such and am introducing other people to the concept. I'm proud that im comfortable with my asexuality. In this sense being proud of being asexual can be pride over something accomplished, instead of just pride over being born as a certain orientation. Its all in the interpretation and use.

This is how I feel as well. The people I have come out to had little to no knowledge of what asexuality is, and I was proud to introduce them to the concept. I'm certainly not ashamed of my sexuality, and I'm proud that I finally (after years of confusion) realized what my sexuality is. Like a lot of other people said, it's a matter of how you define accomplishments and pride.