Premature Birth on the Asexuality Spectrum

little_bird

1. 1. Were you born prematurely?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, do you think it contributed to your asexuality?

• Yes, definitely
    • Yes, a little bit
    • No, not at all
    • Hmm, I'm not sure
    • I answered no to question 1
  3. 3. If no, do you think it is a factor in others' asexuality?

• Yes, definitely
    • Yes, a little bit
    • No, not at all
    • Hmm, I'm not sure
    • I answered yes to question 1
  4. 4. If yes to question 1, what sexual orientation do you identify with? Not taking into account romantic orientation.

• Asexual
    • Grey-A
    • Demisexual
    • None of these - please share in the comments, if you'd like
    • I'd rather not say
    • I answered no to question 1

This poll is closed to new votes

Hello!
Erm, this is a bit of a strange one, I know, but I just wondered, really... How many aces were born premature?
See, I told my mum I was asexual a few months ago, and she, after thinking - of course, it must be hard for parents, yeah, dealing with, I suppose, the orientation of their child - said to me that she thought my asexuality might be at least partly caused by how premature I was.
Just to share (sorry, probably TMI), I was born when my mother was twenty-three weeks and five days pregnant (that is, just over three months premature), as a result of twin to twin transfusion syndrome. We lost my sister, but I have no lasting irregularities/disability/issues, apart from very mild Raynaud's (a circulation problem). So I, personally, don't believe my prematurity contributed to my asexuality at all, though maybe a tiny bit to my personality (in that I am very much an introvert, though of course that is as likely to be a result of how and who by I was brought up), and definitely to my aversion to getting pregnant and all that (generally) entails.

So anyway, how many aces (that is everyone - demis, greys, every kind of asexual!) were premature, and how many of you think it contributed to your asexuality?

Thanks in advance!

(If you want to say how premature you were, clarify your poll answer, etc. or anything else, don't be afraid to comment!)

iamphoenixfire

I was born like 2 weeks prematurely, but apparently that is relatively normal with twins (as i have a twin sister). Didn't effect me at all.

and i think it is possible. it would be interesting to research how premature birth possibly affects sexual orientation.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I was born a week early, so not very prematurely, but I agree that it would be an interesting research idea to pursue.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I was born exactly the day I was expected to

I'd definitely find it interesting to research this, but beyond a poll like this I'd have no idea how to go about it! Worth thinking about it though eh?
Thanks for your responses!

Amoeba-Proteus

Never thought about it being a factor, but I was born prematurely. Almost 3 weeks premature. :blink:

Also, to add, I haven't looked into anything personally, but (again, this is according to my mother, heh) there's all sorts of studies about how prematurity effects/can effect people's social interaction etc - eg, playing with toys - generally, quite/very premature kids play on their own, and if a toy's taken away they're not bothered, they'll find another etc, but full term kids interact with each other more, play make-believe with dolls that kind of thing, and are more likely to throw a fit at a child/adult who took away their toy.
But I still don't think this should affect sexual orientation much if at all.

Feel free to disagree, of course. Send me your thoughts!

Well, there is a correlation between birth order and sexual orientation in males which has that study, totally worth checking.

May have some correlation as well. I would definitely be interested in such study.

Do you know, I'd entirely forgotten about that? I'm sure I knew it somewhere along the line. Hm. Maybe, who knows? :unsure::blink:

i was born just 4 days early, so i answered "no" to question 1. i also don't believe there is a link between premature birth and asexuality, although who knows? :)

RoswellValentine

I was born a little over a week after the expected date.

WhenSummersGone

I was born a week late or so. I personally don't think there's any connection between birth and orientation.

I would have said the likelihood of a correlation between gestation period and sexuality is minimal. In all natural conceptions I would have thought that knowing to the day when a child was conceived is very unlikely anyhow, so defining a premature birth can be a bit of an inexact science anyhow.

Very interesting and different question here...I was born prematurely...hmm, a few weeks. I'm actually not sure how early I was, but it was close to a month. I was really small and only weighed 3 lbs! (And it was a miracle that mom and I made it alive...) Buuuut I don't think it contributes to orientation. I mean, I have no idea if it does lol, but I don't think so...?

I was really small and only weighed 3 lbs!

Hey, another miracle baby! ^_^ :)

Very interesting and different question here...

Buuuut I don't think it contributes to orientation. I mean, I have no idea if it does lol, but I don't think so...?

Thanks! I'm glad, to be honest, that so many people agree that it doesn't make much odds, I've been worrying too much!

In all natural conceptions I would have thought that knowing to the day when a child was conceived is very unlikely anyhow, so defining a premature birth can be a bit of an inexact science anyhow.

Oh, I know.

Edit: Possible mild TMI

What happened with me was. my parents had a ONS,and then got together after they knew Mum was pregnant. So that's how we know to the day. The doctor had to lie about the due date so that my mum wasn't just having a miscarriage. Two days can make a lot of difference.

Bluh, I'm a downer, sorry! :rolleyes: <_<

But, like you say, that doesn't usually happen! ^_^ :blush:

I was born one month too early and I think it happened more because my mom was creeping up on 40 when she had me, rather than due to anything else. Also, I strongly doubt it had any effects on my asexuality.

Little Bird, I was born 3 months and a week early too! *high five* Ahem, sorry, this is just a little exciting. I've never met anyone as premature as I. :P High fives to all the other preemies too!

I don't really think prematurity relates to sexuality but I don't know of any studies about it so I wouldn't actually know. I'm interested in the connection between prematurity and personality though - I'm quite introverted too.

I was born a whole month late, yet still turned out to be awesome and asexy.

Hey, Goaty! :D Ha, I actually made an involuntary 'woo' kind of noise when I read your post! (I'm in a library, so weird looks abound) I've never met anyone as prem as me either! Awesome! *high-fives to everyone*
Yeah, I haven't heard of any studies specifically to do with sexuality and prematurity, but it would be interesting to look at.
There have been a few about prematurity and personality I think - I haven't looked it up or anything, just my mum told be about it. Think I said in earlier post?

Spaghetti Munster: Wow, a whole month? Yeesh. :lol:

I was a couple weeks late and I'm still ace. Since sexuality seems to be influenced by hormone balance in utero, it is possible that premature birth might have an effect. Would be interesting to see some research.

It never crossed my mind lol. I was born like 2 weeks premature and was quite small. That study mentioned above about premature babies with toys fits me exactly, my parents love to tell about how when i was little if someone took my toy I would just be like "....ok then.." and carry on with something else or sit there quietly lol

Since I'm a twin I was born six weeks premature. No lasting issues, besides a week in intensive care. I've never heard of that being a cause of asexuality. Prenatal hormones can be a factor in sexual orientation, but I doubt that prematurity would be one.

• 2 weeks later...
morgaine has won

My mum gave birth to me in the seventh month, so I was born quite early. My mum had all the confidence in the world and even held me in ways that trained my muscles, so that by the time I was three months old I was just as developed as an on-time child. (Yeah, she had a little training regimen worked out and would for example hold my stomach in her hand with my head and legs hanging over, so that I would instinctively straighten my back to get up ... little things like that ^^)

In german, there's the word 'Frühchen' for a prematurely born child: 'früh' means early, '-chen' is an ending to cutesify things and in this case make clear that it's about a person/ sentient being. You could translate it to 'little early one'.

My siblings were also born too early, my brother was even born two months too early, just like me. They're both heterosexual, so I don't see any correlation there.

I was no born pre mature, but I have wondered if this could cause asexuality, it does make sense.

Archived