An Asexual Desire for Children

megghan18

So, practically all my life (since I was 18 months old) I have had the mother instinct and the desire to be a mom. Having realized in the last few years that I am asexual (and possibly aromantic), I still have the intense desire to have children. I don't know if anyone is asexual and has this strong desire too. I mean it is INTENSE.

Is this a common or relatively uncommon thing?

Thoughts?

Makalasterlove

You can still want children, be asexual, and procreate for the sole purpose of having children or adopt. It might be harder if your are sex repulsed, but it can be done. No, this is common.

However, I am not a biological female, and I don't want children.

Just because one is asexual, it doesn't mean they can't like children or have a maternal instinct. It depends on the individual.

I don't have a maternal instinct, in fact I don't even like children!

Ace of Cakes

I'm ace, but I've always wanted children. Even the idea of being pregnant is appealing, which is a bit odd, but whatever. While I know I don't have to have sex for these things to happen I think it may end up happening, that is, if I marry a sexual

I would like to share in the experience of raising a child with someone else, but I don't just want a child for the sake of having a child.

It is likely not common to have an INTENSE desire to have children -- especially since you were a toddler. There are ways to have children without having a living partner or even having sex, but the first thing to determine is not whether you want children, but if you have the characteristics needed to give a child a good environment.

If you have a "motherly instinct," then you can always adopt, foster, or find alternative ways to "mother" a child (or children) than having your own biological child (or children).

I have always wanted a child (more recently, I can't see myself raising one, but that's mainly career issues, I still want one) to the point where I have realized I want to adopt (my actual preference towards adopting as opposed to making one really should have helped me figure out I was asexual sooner, but whatever) even if I do not find I romantic partner. I've only recently discovered that I'm asexual. Now I think that so long as I find a romantic relationship, I would love to adopt! (I've reconsidered the prospect of raising a child alone, and realize that I need time and context to make these decisions.) But in short, a child is something I've always expected in my life. . . . But I've never expected to give birth to them. I'm keeping on wanting to hit my head against a desk the more things I realize point towards me being asexual that I never noticed before.

As a man, I still would like to have a kid, even though I'll never marry. I found out that it's nearly impossible for me. First, the fact that I am a single man sends up red flags. Then, my mental health status (bipolar) basically slams the door in my face.

Contrarian Expatriate

This thread scared the heck out of me. I really wish it were named "An Asexual Desire TO HAVE Children."

This thread scared the heck out of me. I really wish it were named "An Asexual Desire TO HAVE Children."

Thank you. I clicked on this out of outrage, originally.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my, I didn't realize how horribly the title actually is! NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL!!!!!

iamphoenixfire

Oh my, I didn't realize how horribly the title actually is! NOT WHAT I MEANT AT ALL!!!!!

hahaha it's okay im sure that all of us who clicked it had a good laugh when we realized what it was really about. also if you want you can change it :)

that being said i understand the desire. only i dont really want children. at least the natural way. if i were to have kids i would adopt.

I think you can change the title of your thread, but I don't remember how to do it. Anyone?????

I think wanting children is different from wanting sex. Why are both so distinct when they are so much related, I don't know. But, I can relate to your feeling

I'm a male asexual, interested in having a family with my biological children, but the fact that so many female asexuals seem opposed to having kids in this way is very disheartening, so it's good to see that it's not all asexual women, and that there's still a chance in the long-term. I'm also worried that this might have something to do with peer-pressure, and that there's a lot of pressure to be sex repulsed, and thereby anything associated with it, in the AVEN community.

cheeringselenator

I am like you too. I am ace but I've ALWAYS wanted kids! For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a mom. I was never that big into the whole marriage thing though. While other kids were planning their dream wedding and honeymoon, I was always picking out kids names and stuff. I'm 19, so I don't want kids right now, but I do know that I want them one day:)

I was pretty sure I wanted kids for a long time, but the whole prospect of getting married and having them seemed an insurmountable cliff before asexuality was recognized. I was lucky to have close relationships with my nephews and godsons, which partially filled that gap. One of them is now married, and his wife recently invited me to be a sort of "great-godfather" to their first son. That's really cool.

I don't think there's anything strange about that! Some people are just meant to be parents. And you def don't need to have sex to have a child! Adoption, artificial insemination, surrogates! You have options.

Ricecream-man

I completely understand your desire. While it's not quite intense (so many other things going on in life), I've always wanted to be a father and raise children. However I've never been able to picture myself being married. It's not that I'm against a long term relationship, but rather it seems extremely unlikely.

lyricsarepoetry

I've only identified as Asexual for a few months because before that I wasn't even aware of asexuality as a thing. And I've been having something of a crisis because of this exact thing. I have no interest in having sex at all, ever, but I want to be a mother one day. And of course I know that there are other options. But I found myself thinking a lot of these same things; is it weird that I'm Ace and want to be a mother. And honestly I'm so glad this thread exists and I now know I'm not alone in that.

I'm 34, always been asexual and aromantic, although i'm just learning the terminology. For me not having a relationship was never a big deal, just got tired of everyone around me acting like its a big deal. I'm ridiculously independent and have always loved kids, so no one was surprised when I decided to adopt alone. I've been a happy mom to a beautiful little girl for a year and a half, amd am in the adoption process again (paperwork should be done soon, hope to start looking for a child by next month). I would love to connect with others who are raising kids alone, lots of questions.

I've only just recently identified as asexual, but I am married and am ready to be a mom. I haven't always wanted to be a mom, but the past 5-6 years the desire has steadily increased. I am not sex-repulsed however, so the idea of having sex for procreation is not entirely out of the question. Unfortunately, it seems that we're facing infertility issues so we're considering adoption.

Archived