If you knew the "world" was going to end...

Zerο

...what would you? Let's say we have a tentative time estimate that a meteorite will strike the Earth in a year's time and the impact and resulting environmental effects will be enough to wipe out the majority of all known life (let's say 99.9% of all mammals/land dwellers).

If it were me, I'd just quit my job because there's very little point in continuing environmental/flood projects when they're going to be (literally) obliterated and reshaped. I'd then probably buy a car and see as much of the USA/nearby countries as I can. It's a bit difficult to plan much more than that (say flying to another country) since I'm not sure others would remain at their service jobs (EG cooks, pilots, attendants, etc) but if they do I'd like to travel to foreign countries assuming my savings didn't suddenly become worthless.

As the time dwindles down I'd say my goodbyes to my friends and families and then make my way as close as I can to the estimated impact site so that I can view it firsthand to satisfy my last bit of thirst for knowledge.

On that note, would anyone want to know of an extinction event ahead of time? If so, how long out? Let's set the cap at 10 years out.

I'm a person too!

I would abandon society and go live in the woods. I'm happier there and if there were no point in 'getting ahead' why bother stay? If a couple people I get on well with came along that would probably be okay but I'd just kick it. I could probably survive a year and if I didn't it wouldn't much matter would it?

There is no point in knowing how far out an extinction event was, all we'd hear about it was scientists trying to arguing with the religionists.

A year's time? Pretty damn bad prospect. I'd probably euthanize myself to avoid the mass hysteria, chaos, and collapse of society that kind of news would inevitably bring forth. I just hope that the scientists or governments who discover it see that humanity has no need to know this; I'd hope they'll manage to keep it top secret, and are smart enough to silence anyone who's a risk of leaking it out.

I think I'd like to know about a day or two in advance. Time to say goodbye to the people who matter, not enough time for pre-apocalyptic chaos to set in. And when the time comes, I'd pull out a nice bottle of mead to calm me down (and be tasty as a goodbye toast, too)... and just let it happen, because I can't change it anyway.

iamphoenixfire

id run away find a way to italy and hang out with my ex (who is now transitioning into the best friend mode which is weird but also nice?). then we would watch studio ghibli movies in the woods and live in a cabin in the mountains with our friends until the world ends. and i would write a ton. that too.

HermioneGranger

I don't panic well, so I wouldn't change anything. I would just keep going to work every day.

I would dare to do all I dont dare :P like singing in a karaoke :lol: maybe getting a bank credit that I would never pay of course and with the money travel to the world :lol: oh too many fun things to do...

A year's time? Pretty damn bad prospect. I'd probably euthanize myself to avoid the mass hysteria, chaos, and collapse of society that kind of news would inevitably bring forth. I just hope that the scientists or governments who discover it see that humanity has no need to know this; I'd hope they'll manage to keep it top secret, and are smart enough to silence anyone who's a risk of leaking it out.

I think I'd like to know about a day or two in advance. Time to say goodbye to the people who matter, not enough time for pre-apocalyptic chaos to set in. And when the time comes, I'd pull out a nice bottle of mead to calm me down (and be tasty as a goodbye toast, too)... and just let it happen, because I can't change it anyway.

Yeah from a scientific standpoint I can see why it'd be better to keep it a secret. Honestly, more than a week's notice would probably cause too much disruption or outright chaos in society.

HermioneGranger

I don't panic well, so I wouldn't change anything. I would just keep going to work every day.

Are you serious???? O.o

Yes. So the world is going to end...my job is still important and still needs to be done every day until that happens. Running out into the woods to wait for death doesn't seem very appealing.

Captain Darkhorse

I was actually just thinking about this the other day...

Assuming no one else knows about the impeding destruction (highly improbable though), I'd leave school, buy a car, and drive to all the places and people that have had a significant positive impact on my life. Beyond that, I'd go out into the middle of the forest and spend the rest of my days there.

If the rest of the world knows (much more probable), I'd just steal the car. It isn't like anyone would be that concerned about it anyway. I'd also take as much as I could from grocery/convenience stores. If the world knows a year ahead of time, it'll become a cesspool of chaos that I have no intention of calming.

I don't think much would change in my life, most probably I'll still continue my daily work/studies. Well, probably world-wide panic/depression would bring smile to my face, but that's all.

There's no possible answer to this Q. In fact there was no possible Q...Because the world ended yesterday! Cia :wacko: [forever]

I don't like to think about this possibility.

I remember the people from when I was a kid who have wronged me. And there were some major events in my life until now, with some people who really got me on a really bad situation, people who took things from, things I still resent, for me to simply go out and accept my doom. I'd probably go pretty bad real quick like.

Maybe I am just broken, but I seriously would rather be dead than know this.

I would go on the most epic thief run ever.....I would loot museums, I'd loot everything I could find. I'd go into GTA mode and just take as much stuff as I could. Then I'd loot someone's bunker and ride out the mess in style. When I pop out of the bunker it will be like Fallout and I'll go loot some more!

I'd stop paying my bills for one. ;-)

On 9/11, I was kicked out of one of my Undergrad classes. Myself and 8am classes did not mix. He said I should leave, since I was not taking his class seriously. (An seriously, it was a stupid business class on theory).

Anyway, got back to my dorm/suite and turned on the living room TV. I saw the second tower get hit. I immediately walked into my roommates and suitemates rooms and told them to get up, because we're at war. (My suitemate was in the reserves).

There was much speculation, some of which was that there were nuclear bombs. And knowing that my campus would be a waste of a bomb, I was ready to drive seven hours back to the suburbs where my parents live if a nuclear war started. I'm not suicidal, but I wanted to die with them rather than survive and live with falllout and the breakdown of society.

So I know if the world were to end soon, I would spend that time with family.

Per Aspera Ad Astra

I'm not sure how I'd react. I can see this going down two ways:

I think I'd just find a way to get to the USA with my horse, and I'd spend the year exploring the USA on his back. I'd probably find another horse (like steal another horse, I don't have the money to buy another one), so that my horse would have a buddy. I'd stay away from the major cities and I'd just explore, live in the woods or in the moutains, hunt, maybe spend a few weeks in a ranch to have a taste at the cowboy's life. And then I'd leave and go explore some new region.

Or I'd find a way to get into the CIA (or MI6 or Mossad or whatever government agency) offices to learn all about the dirty secrets of the world. I've always wanted to know these secrets. And even if I get caught and arrested, so what? I'm gonna die anyway, might as well die doing something interesting. And I'd do lots of thrilling stuff: rob a bank, loot museums, that kind of things.

But I honestly think it would be a terrible idea to warn populations of the inpending disaster that early. Societies would crumble and break down. They'd better just keep it secret.

I would quit my job and go and live on the farm that I grew up on, because the time I spent growing up there were the simplest, most peaceful times of my life, and that is how I would want it all to end.

I would build a spaceship and get enough food and water for some years and watch the meteor hit the earth from space.

Then I would take its picture and upload to my facebook page. No one would like it, lol.

I'd quit my job and quit school and have massive parties every day because I'm going to go out with a bang!

FOXracingfan

Well, if it was proven 100% that it would end, I'd quit school (because I'm already wanting too...) and just spend the time with my family and friends. Maybe travel some (who cares if I run up my credit, right?)

Oh, and I'd do some crazy dare devil stuff.

WhoNeedsLabels?

I'd do all the things I never do. I'd give my university savings away to the poor so that they get a chance to decide what to do with their lives too. I'd hang around with my friends a lot, kiss my crush, and make a time capsule to leave behind for any survivors of the distant future. The last day, I think my family would want me to be with them and I don't really have a choice (because I'm only a teenager) so I'd have dinner calmly with them. Then I'd stay up all night until the end.

If I did have a choice though, I think I'd go to the estimated impact site too.

I'd probably spend the year switching between panic, disbelief, and acceptance, with panic becoming more frequent as it drew closer. I might have a mental breakdown at some point.

Aside from that, I'd probably try and finish all of my unfinished games, shows, books, etc.

SorryNotSorry

Knowing me, I'd stop working and do every illegal/fun thing I could think of.

First on my list: round up all the law books I could find, and burn them!!! :twisted:

I would certainly not spend the last year in the woods as others have said. If I would have lived my last year, it would be as comfortbable and relaxing as possible - and not being constantly sweaty and cold.

I think I would live life as normally really. At first I would be shocked, but. I would rather get back into my routine and be happy with friends and so on.

I would continue working and doing my normal day-to-day things. I think I would find it hard to believe that the world is going to end. :P

Artistofnoname

I would end up dead,in jail,broke, or stuck in a mixed up situation.

Realistically I believe my civil side would win out and I'd just go out and start spreading the Gospel. As well as seeing friends and telling people just how much I appreciated them and what they contributed to my life. Although I might consider getting with some friends to destroy the Georgia guide stones and punch a politician or so.

Asterion Orestes

Well, if it was proven 100% that it would end....

That's where the scenario fails. A year's warning may not be ideal, but I suspect it's enough for us to do something about it! I'd guess the nations would even cooperate on a project to accomplish just that. The best method would probably depend on the known specifics of the asteroid/comet.

It's also conceivable that the original calculations fall short and/or the object's path is perturbed by unexpected external gravity. Then there's the chance it would wind up making a near miss or striking a glancing blow rather than more of a straight-on impact. The calculated effects might be off one way or another, simply because we haven't witnessed such an event & can only predict hypotheticals. What's clearer is that watching the trajectory will reduce the uncertainty. You all may have heard of various cases where some object was predicted to pose danger to Earth years in the future, but a little observation allowed refining its orbit to rule out a collision.

Archived