Are you a smoker?

Ortac

Smoking  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you smoke? (Question for people on the ace spectrum only please)

• No, I have never smoked and I absolutely hate being around people who are smoking.
    • No, I have never smoked but I don?t mind being around people who are smoking.
    • No, I have never smoked but I like being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I tried it once. I absolutely hate being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I tried it once. I don?t mind being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I tried it once. I like being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I used to smoke and I now absolutely hate being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I used to smoke and I don?t mind being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I used to smoke and I like being around people who are smoking.
    • No, but I am considering starting.
    • Yes, but only a very small number of cigarettes and not every day. I would like to give up.
    • Yes, but only a very small number of cigarettes and not every day. I do not want to give up.
    • Yes, but only a small number of cigarettes each day. I would like to give up.
    • Yes, but only a small number cigarettes each day. I do not want to give up.
    • Yes, around 20 cigarettes per day. I would like to give up.
    • Yes, around 20 cigarettes per day. I do not want to give up.
    • Yes, around 40 cigarettes per day. I would like to give up.
    • Yes, around 40 cigarettes per day. I do not want to give up.
    • Yes, more than 40 cigarettes per day. I would like to give up.
    • Yes, more than 40 cigarettes per day. I do not want to give up.

I have smoked some times, glad I am not smoking or using any tobaccoo products regurally though. And I don't mind being around people who smoke or that other smoke for that sake.

Unfortunately, I have been smoking for around 40 years. Started when I was 9. I hate and loathe them, but am having a hard time (obviously) quitting. I quit June and July this year and started again in August.

I quit for a year and a half when I took Chantix, but it hasn't worked once I started smoking again. My Doctor tells me my lungs are fine, so far, but it's only a matter of time.

I'm a rational thinking person, and I know these will kill me, but I'm just not having any success with quitting. :(

Have you ever tried going over to "snus"? (No idea what they call it in USA) It is not proven to be harmful or dangerous or anything, and you'll get the same nicotine effect (and for most stronger). It have actually been proven that this tobaccoo product have saved many lives as many smokes went over from smoking to this and because of that didn't get lung cancer and so on. It is unorthodox (especially if you listen to political correct people) but here and in Sweden many have done this, and death or cancer caused by tobaccoo have seriously dropped.

I have smoked some times, glad I am not smoking or using any tobaccoo products regurally though. And I don't mind being around people who smoke or that other smoke for that sake.

Unfortunately, I have been smoking for around 40 years. Started when I was 9. I hate and loathe them, but am having a hard time (obviously) quitting. I quit June and July this year and started again in August.

I quit for a year and a half when I took Chantix, but it hasn't worked once I started smoking again. My Doctor tells me my lungs are fine, so far, but it's only a matter of time.

I'm a rational thinking person, and I know these will kill me, but I'm just not having any success with quitting. :(

Have you ever tried going over to "snus"? (No idea what they call it in USA) It is not proven to be harmful or dangerous or anything, and you'll get the same nicotine effect (and for most stronger). It have actually been proven that this tobaccoo product have saved many lives as many smokes went over from smoking to this and because of that didn't get lung cancer and so on. It is unorthodox (especially if you listen to political correct people) but here and in Sweden many have done this, and death or cancer caused by tobaccoo have seriously dropped.

Thank you, ThaHoward! Looks interesting. It's beginning to be banned, so the tobacco lobbyists are spreading their propaganda.

I'll definitely look into this. Thanks again! :)

I just searched a store locator to find who is selling snus. There's a store within walking distance of my house! Can't wait to get home. Thanks, ThaHoward!

No problem :) Hopefully you will be able to quit smoking - and perhaps tobaccoo alltogether one day. Just beware that it may seem really strong at first :p

I may owe you my life. Are you prepared to be put on a pedestal? ;) :D :lol:

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I don't smoke, and I probably never will.

An old man came up to me while I was busking, I think I was around 11 or 12 years old, and held up a 2 dollar coin in front of me, before saying "I'll give you this, if you promise never to put a cigarette in your mouth".

Now, years later, I'm still proud to honour that promise :wub:

I smoke as a stress-reliever, and I generally only have one or two cigarettes per week at most.

Something I have learned since I started reading everyone’s comments on AVEN is that a very high proportion of the people who use this site and who are on the ace spectrum do not drink any alcohol, or drink very little.

I think the numbers for this, as with smoking, or as with a preference of music, or whatever, should be pretty much the same here as across the board in the general populace. It's dangerous to imply that results in such polls will be substantially different in certain demographics.

There's no more correlation between being on the ace spectrum and not drinking/smoking, than there is between being on the ace spectrum and preferring country music, or disliking the color green. That is to say: there is none.

Never smoked, don't want to, and I dislike being around it. I have the worst allergies...

I smoke about a pack of day. I started when my dad was dying and I had to quit school to work and help support my parents and take care of him. I can say without a doubt that I'm not addicted to them (and believe me I know what addiction looks and feels like). I do it because it gives me something to do and stops my hands from shaking. I live in rural Kentucky and almost everyone I know smokes because we're a tobacco producing area. Our high school ag classes grew tobacco out back.

I consider smoking as one of the most disgusting habits, and can't refrain from looking down on people who smoke.

This is more than a little rude in my opinion. A lot of people smoke to cope and it's far better than the habits I used to use to cope (like cutting myself and starving myself).

Aisntllecxtual

I think one can separate the deathly activity/habit from the person engaging in it. With that said, I do find it selfish if someone is smoking without understanding, in being insensitive to the effect it has on those around them. Please, abstain if you hear or even sense that it is adversely effecting (indeed, infecting all) any of those around you. To be quite honest, I would rather be exposed to the smell of feces than tobacco smoke. Some things above were listed as things that people can detest. Let me comment on the last as particularly detestable: littering. Hate is not too strong of a word in regard to my attitude to smoking and the negativity, interconnectedly, applies likewise to littering. I go to the beach a lot in this hometown of mine. The ground I lay my towel on is cut grass. I have to spend sometimes up to ten minutes trying to find a spot without cigarette butts to spread my towel down or else disgustingly flick butts away to make way for a litter free spot. Excuse me for saying this, because it is particularly galling, one time I came back after a swim and felt something on the bottom of my feet, reached down, and lo and beheld it was a wad of wet cigarette butts that had stuck to my skin - despite my obsessive compulsive best efforts! If I am outside and someone is ahead of me walking and smoking, I have to run up ahead of him/her to avoid the noxious backdraft, a constant struggle. The lingering odor on someone after smoking also churns my stomach. I have allergies in the spring and summer and any exposure to tobacco smoke aggravates the sneezing red-eye fit I go through. Allow me and others to have their fanatic utopian dream of having it banned period, and, indeed, release gained from letting loose: I know it is hard for smokers to not take it personally, but, please don't. A way you might look at it, in trying to relate, is that when asexuals eschew the advances of sexuals, they do not mean it as a rejection of the person but the activity in and of itself as imposing and unwanted: the same logic applies to smokers/smoking. After this cathartic, much needed, rant, let me most compassionately express my hope, heartfelt good wishes to those smokers wishing/struggling to quit. I can't imagine - having thankfully never travelled in your shoes - how difficult it is.

I will never smoke. After watching my parents, I couldn't possibly do it. I don't mind others smoking though.

I don't smoke, and have never tried it, though I don't care what other people do as long as they don't blow their smoke into my face. In which case I will make my displeasure known.

I smoke almost a pack a day, although sometimes it can be more or less. I understand the risks to my personal health and accept them. However when around people who have any sort of aversion to it I will often move a good distance away. I have found that when I am around non smokers though I will tend to smoke a lot less. (The problem is smoking out of boredom and that most of my friends smoke just as much so it becomes a social activity.) I am one to take offense to absolute rudeness about my smoking by others, however when asked I will always find a way to accommodate others and not make them suffer my own addiction.

I smoke almost a pack a day, although sometimes it can be more or less. I understand the risks to my personal health and accept them. However when around people who have any sort of aversion to it I will often move a good distance away. I have found that when I am around non smokers though I will tend to smoke a lot less. (The problem is smoking out of boredom and that most of my friends smoke just as much so it becomes a social activity.) I am one to take offense to absolute rudeness about my smoking by others, however when asked I will always find a way to accommodate others and not make them suffer my own addiction.

I'm not sure how to answer. I haven't smoked a cigarette before, but I have tried a few puffs of cigars more than once and spent 4hours (maybe 15min total of smoking) in a hookah bar.

I've been exposed to secondhand smoke since I was very little as I had an older brother who would smoke in the car and our neighbors would smoke in their house while we visited them. Not all tobacco smoke smells bad to me and some can smell quite nice like incense. I don't mind being around people who smoke tobacco, although I probably should care more for my lung health. I have a much greater dislike of being around weed or people that use that because that stuff smells downright awful to me.

I'm a smoker, I started when I was 14 (25 years ago) and I smoke about 20-25 a day. In fact I'm smoking as I type this!

Some of the comments on this census have upset me and made me quite angry.

I believe I am a considerate smoker and am known by my friends and family as a considerate smoker. My Mum does not smoke and if she ever comes as a passenger in my car, I do not smoke while she is in the car, however long the journey. My best friend gave up several years ago and I have not smoked in front of her since, even though she doesn't mind at all and always tells me to smoke if I want to. The same goes for another friend (she has never smoked) who always tells me it's okay to smoke in her house, but I wouldn't dream of having a cigarette in a non-smoker's house...ever!!!

To be seen as somebody to look down upon because I smoke is incredibly condescending and very upsetting to me.

My habit effects no-one but myself and although I understand it may shorten my life and certainly costs a lot of (my own, hard-earned) money, that is MY choice, no-one else's.

Nope. I'll never, ever smoke unless I'm on fire. It doesn't matter if people smoke to me. I strongly disagree with their lifestyle choice, but alas, it's their body. I don't understand why anyone would want to consciously inhale genotoxic agents into their lungs. It baffles me.

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

I am not a smoker, and never had any wish to even try it. Apart from anything else I am quite a bad asthmatic.

I have however smoked, for quite an odd reason. I was in a short film and my character drank like a fish, smoked like a chimney and swore like a sailor. We didn't have the time and planning to get stage ciggarettes, so I was given the real thing and told to just hold it, like I was between puffs. But I just couldn't, I decided to suffer for my art and just smoke the damn thing (it payed off in the final footage). I did my absolute utmost to keep the smoke in my mouth and not inhale it into my lungs. For those, like I was, who have no idea, it seems there are two steps to smoking, you suck on the ciggarette like a straw, then you inhale the smoke into your lungs. I skipped the second bit as much as it was possible. I must have smoked about ten ciggarettes in two days in this way. It tasted horrible, and wasn't great for my asthma. You may be wondering if I got hooked? Nope, but other people's second-hand smoke doesn't smell horrible to me anymore. It makes me wheezy, but not ill.

As for my character's other traits, I had bear bottles full of water, and I don't have anything against swearing, I just can't usually be bothered.

• 2 months later...

I'm the only member of my family who doesn't smoke. I'll be forever grateful to my mother, and her... "creative" way of discouraging me from smoking. By letting me try it when I was six years old. I remember it vividly; she handed me her cigarette and, not knowing any better, I took in a huge puff and launched into a coughing fit and barely avoided throwing up a lung. Put me off smoking for life. Thanks, mum!

My dad and my sister smoked, I hated it the smell gave me headaches and made me cough, we had lecture after lecture after lecture about it and why we shouldn't...

a few times whilst drunk I tried them, and disliked it and never understood why anyone liked them, until I broke up with my long term bf and spent a week as drunk as possible with a bunch of friends who happened to smoke, one of them gave me "clove" cigs which I actually liked the taste of, then I moved in with a smoker, and his friends would visit and then go outside and smoke and then things kept leading like that one after each other, next thing I know it'd been like 3 months and I was now classifiable as a smoker o.o

Long story on how I started above

Every-time me and my flatmate start to quit, something happens that all brings us back to it (and before someone complains about that, I think you'd start again too if you knew some of the things that have happened). some bad excuses that don't help

The social aspect is what keeps us there though, I made several friends at work through smoking.

My flatmate has anxiety and other things, smoking is their reflex and I join in, because otherwise I wouldn't never see him as they just hides away with no excuse to leave their room.

When I'm out in town it's an excuse to go outside the bar to escape the masses of people.

It passes long 30min wait times when I've missed the bus.

And it offers a form of saftey against some of the weirdos at said bus stop as it can be used as a weapon.

In the new year we plan to go back to smoking just when drinking again, it's how we managed to quit for awhile last time, so we'll see.

spoidersquiggle

Wow! I'm stoked so many peeps don't smoke! Smoking's really REALLY bad for you! (that being said I am an unhappy smoker... I smoke quite regularly and last time I tried to quit, my emotional/mental wellbeing deteriorated into a shitstorm. I'm unsure how to quit this lameass habit...)

I smoked for a few months back in college but stopped pretty early on, not because I thought of it as disgusting but I considered it a hassle.
It cost more money than I was willing to cough up I could spend it on food, booze and rent instead, I live up north, it gets cold in the winter and I’m a finger freezer, I don't like the smell of unlit ciggs. Funnily enough I don't mind the smell of lit ciggs if I know the person is smoking but if I encounter some random stranger on the street I can't stand the disgusting scent.
I don’t mind smokers and I can occasionally have one myself at a party or when stress gets the better of me, but we’re talking once or twice a year at most.

I used to love smoking. Nowadays, I get nothing out of it at all. But, for me, smoking and drinking are linked because I've been using cigarettes as drinking buddies. I suppose I'll just have to practise drinking without cigarettes. I've been smoking on and off for a while. Every packet is my last. The fact that I don't do it regularly means I'm often in withdrawal, which makes in shaky, panicky nights.

When I was younger, I smoked occassionally. Then, when I left home, I started smoking more regularly to deal with the boredom and loneliness, but smoking actually made it worse. Then, when I finally had the motivation to stop, I thought I would only smoke when I was drinking. That didn't do any good because I just started drinking more.

ranting ferret

i react pretty severly when around people smoking. even if it's a faint amount, i'll feel nauseous and extremely dizzy. sometimes like i will pass out. if there's a lot, i'll feel sick and have a bad headache long after the smoke-ness has gone away.

Nope, never and they make me physically ill. I'm regularly around people who smoke and can't stand being around them on "smoke breaks".

drjohnhwatson

I loathe when people smoke around me and I wonder how bad my lungs are as my boss smokes heavily even though it's illegal to smoke in a restaurant now. When it used to be allowed, the boys I worked with would sit on either side of me at the work table and blow smoke so it basically went directly in my face. No matter where I went I could still smell it (and still do, when boss smokes) because it's a small, confined kitchen. Sometimes I have to open a window to breathe or I open the fridge or freezer just to get some fresh air because it's too much. :(.

It's really bad because I have two co-workers who have asthma and/or some other condition that's heavily aggravated by smoking. The one even had her doctor tell her she needs to not be around smokers but there's nothing she can do, and the boss isn't even supposed to smoke! For legal reasons and because he's had open heart surgery and he should stop that, and the heavy drinking, and the fatty-food eating and not exercising...

I wouldn't hate or condemn someone for smoking; I have people that I like and love that have smoked and quit. I just don't like the habit very much.

:huh:.

SorryNotSorry

Never did, never will... but my own personal relationship with smoking and smokers has been an intense love-hate one, too long and complex for me to recount here.

Archived