Reasons for drinking/not drinking alcohol

Ace-TheTimelordsCompanion

Answer question 1, then answer the next apporpriate question and tick all others N/A  

1. 1. How much do you drink. (Choose the one that best describes you)

• I have never drunk more than a sip or two
    • I used to drink, but I don't any more
    • I only drink occasionally
    • I drink fairly often, but not heavily
    • I occasionally get drunk
    • I am often drunk
    • I am drunk more than I am sober
  2. 2. I have never drunk more than a sip or two BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I don't like the taste
    • I don't like the drinking culture
    • Abstinant for religous reasons
    • Family upbringing
    • I am afraid of losing my self control
    • I am worried I might become addicted
    • It is against my morals
    • I see no need to
    • Alcohol is a drug, I don't do drugs
    • I do other drugs instead
    • Medical reasons
    • Something else (please comment)
    • I simply don't have time
    • I can 'feel intoxicated' just by being around people who are.
    • Someone in my life abused alcohol, I don't want to be like them
    • I can party it up without the hangover, or memory blanks
    • I worry I might think I want sex
    • It is a social thing. I don't like social things
    • It is literally a rotten substance, Ughhh
  3. 3. I used to drink, but I don't any more BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I don't like the taste
    • I had a drinking problem
    • I don't like the way it makes me feel
    • I don't like the way it makes me act
    • I want to, but have chosen abstinance for social or religious reasons
    • It's too expensive
    • It makes me ill
    • It just doesn't feel good
    • I do other drugs instead
    • I see no need to
    • I am pregnant
    • I have a medical condition/am on medical drugs, that mean I can't
    • Other reasons (Please comment)
    • I can party it up longer, and remember everything
    • I hate social gatherings
    • Something else (please comment)
  4. 4. I only drink occasionally BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I don't really like the taste
    • I don't really like the feeling
    • it turns me into someone I don't like
    • I don't want to loose control
    • It just doesn't do anything for me
    • I'm not really interested
    • I might have a glass to be sociable
    • I'm worried about my weight
    • That is the way it should be
    • I enjoy it
    • It makes a pleasant change
    • It doesn't really bother me, one way or the other
    • Something else (Please comment)
    • It makes sex bearable
  5. 5. I drink fairly often, but not heavily BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I enjoy being tipsey not drunk
    • I don't enjoy the idea of being drunk
    • I like the taste
    • For social reasons
    • I can't afford to get properly trollied
    • I am self medicating a mental problem/emotional pain
    • I find drunkiness immoral
    • I am afraid of losing control of myself
    • I don't want a hangover
    • It is pleasant
    • I don't feel safe drunk
    • Peer pressure
    • I don't like the binge-drinking culture
    • It makes sex bearable
    • I was raised this way
  6. 6. I occasionally get drunk BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I am expected too
    • I enjoy it in moderation
    • It's nice, I'd do it more often if I could afford it
    • I only do it on special occasions
    • Once I start I have trouble stopping
    • I enjoy the taste
    • I enjoy the mental and social freedom
    • My friends encourage me to get drunk
    • I work, so it's weekends only
    • I am worried I might think I want sex
    • I love the feeling
    • I love the taste
    • I hate social getherings, drink helps
    • I love social gatherings, drinking makes it better
    • I only drink in private
    • It fits my upbringing/social views
    • It makes sex bearable
  7. 7. I am often drunk BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I am self medicating a physical problem/physical pain
    • I enjoy it
    • I love the feeling
    • I love the taste
    • It's sociable
    • I think I might have a drinking problem
    • I'm only young once
    • Life sucks
    • Drinking is awesome fun and makes good stories
    • It makes sex bearable
    • It makes life easier
    • To forget, something, no idea what
    • I like mixing it with drugs
    • It is better than other drugs
    • It's cheap
    • I don't like who I am when I'm sober
    • I only drink in private
  8. 8. I am drunk more often than I am sober BECAUSE

• N/A
    • I am self medicating a physical problem/physical pain
    • It is better than other drugs
    • I like mixing it with drugs
    • To forget, something, no idea what
    • It makes life easier
    • It makes the best stories
    • Drinking is awesome fun
    • It's cheap
    • I'm only young once
    • I think I might have a drinking problem
    • I love the feeling
    • I love the taste
    • It's sociable
    • It makes it easier to talk to people, particularly at parties
    • I don't like who I am when I'm sober
    • I enjoy it
    • It makes sex bearable

I am not a drinker myself, so struggled with some of the options, especially for the later questions.
I know there may be other reasons, but I am out of space in the poll. Oops.
It's not perfect, but I think it may be interesting :) I know a disproportionately large number of people on aven don't drink, which is what motivated this. Why do, or why don't, we drink.

I like to feel tipsy and I like the taste of alcohol, but drinking to me is a slippery slope and alcohol is bad for your liver and alcohol makes me nauseous. I don't drink anymore.

Bad for your liver, slippery slope, and nausea, Darn, I knew I'd missed something! I can't even add them because there's no space left. Gaah!
Very interesting though. Yay

P.S. Your 'location' still freaks me out every time I look at it, in an awesome way though :)

Alcohol really isn't my thing. I don't like the taste, don't like the feeling, and don't like the thought of not being in control of myself and who I am.

If my friends are out, I might have a hard apple cider to be sociable - or I might have a single glass to drink at social events where it's practically expected (weddings, holiday meals, etc.) Otherwise...I'll pass.

I've never drunk more than a sip or two...and I literally mean it! The only time I tried beer was on my 21st birthday, and that one sip was terrible lol. The smell of alcohol is off-putting...and I chose a lot of reasons why I don't drink, but the main ones? I guess family upbringing (no one in my fam drinks), the taste, I don't feel the need to, and medical issues. I'm on a lot of meds for my conditions, and there's no way I'm chancing alcohol with them lol.

P.S. Your 'location' still freaks me out every time I look at it, in an awesome way though :)

Haha! :D

I have some... issues/traumas involving alcohol that would keep me from ever trying it.

WhenSummersGone

I used to get drunk with friends a long time ago. I stopped because I actually don't like the taste, I don't like the way it makes me feel and act and it can make me sick. Plus I see no need to. It helped with my social anxiety but I don't see getting drunk as a good solution. Oh and I prefer to avoid any health problems, death, rape, etc.

I'm the lone (for now) "occasionally get drunk" vote. On average, three or four times a year (one of which always is New Year's Eve, a day which I simply refuse to experience in a non-wasted state of mind :p ). Whenever I do drink, I definitely seek to get drunk.

I like the taste (at least when it's sweet wines, fruit wines, champagne/Asti, and mead... that's all I go for) and I like the experience of drunkenness. I only drink alone - learned the hard way in 2003 that social drinking is not something I should ever do again, and I've stuck to not breaking that resolution it ever since.

I have TASTED beer, red wine and vodka. They all taste foul. I can't even stand cakes baked with chocolate liquor, tastes like rubbing alcohol, yuck. Even the smell is nasty.

On top of the taste, I don't like how people act when drunk. I am simply annoyed whenever around people who drink. Been around college students, teachers, administrators, doctors, factory workers - when drunk, couldn't stand any of them. I wouldn't want to act like that. My mom has a drinking problem as well, which puts me further off it (though I already disliked it before that).

Edit: I guess I should add for clarification - I don't care if others drink, their own business and not mine. But, I prefer avoiding people when they are drinking if I can, else I will give small, polite responses. The choice to leave/stay is mine. :)

Aside from the very occasional glass of mulled wine at Christmas, I never drink alcohol. I don't like the taste, and I don't see the point in drinking just to get drunk.

I didn't vote because the choices didn't fit me enough.

I've drank more than a sip's worth of an alcoholic drink but that was once and it wasn't enough to get myself drunk. In fact, I don't even remember feeling any different. Other than that, I barely even touched alcohol and I haven't touched it at all in years....unless you count the alcohol they put in mouthwash and hand santinizers. :P

I'll have a glass of wine or cider or fizz (prosecco / champagne / stuff like that) because it tastes nice, but I've never been drunk, if I've ever been tipsy at all I've only been tipsy once, and to be honest I don't want to get drunk. I really don't see the point. I used to not want to lose control, but I think I'd be more okay with that nowadays if that were the only problem.

I mean, if you have problems and you're drinking to escape them, it will only work for a short while if it works at all, and you'll have a hangover afterwards... In general, why would you want to get into a state where you'll do things you wouldn't be comfortable doing normally? If you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't do it. If you wish you could do it, work on that while you're sober, else you'll just regret it the next morning, in my opinion... (I'm sure there are others who disagree with this though!)

Basically I don't really understand why people drink :)

Squirrel Combat

I don't drink. It's too mainstream for me. And I can get intoxicated without the stimulants. ;)

Off duty: Drink a little bit so I can relax more and have a good feeling. When I don't have a leave: Cos I want to be sharp and not be a danger to myself or others,.

Also I get occasionaly drunk cos: It's expected of me (it's a "tradition to get senseless drunk each weekend and social gathering. So I am actually getting less drunk than what is expected of me :p ) I love the taste, I like how it feels, I enjoy it in moderations and so forth.

I am a teetotaler. I don't ever plan on drinking. I simply do not see why I should. A lot of it I think is societal pressure (at least in Western societies), but it seems quite pointless to me. I would rather live my life with clarity of mind 100% of the time. Perhaps I do also have some very latent fear of losing control of myself, which would be perpetually embarrassing for me since I always try to conduct myself with grace. I don't mind if others drink. It's their choice, but it's just not for me.

I only drink occasionally, and even then, not that much. When I do, mostly just ciders or long drinks. I don't like the taste of most alcohol drinks and neither their effects. Can't handle any of the stronger ones anyway. Once tasted some mixture a friend's friend had made and that was one of the worst mistakes of my life. Was puking 7-8 hours in a bar's toilet while everyone else were having fun. Also, my late father was an alcoholic, and I've been watching that since I was born, so not too fond of alcohol for that matter alone.

I like to drink to the point where I start to laugh at everything, but it still won't affect my memory or motor functions or anything like that. When I start to feel dizzy that's when I stop. Usually I only drink 1-2 times per year, when I meet friends I see rarely.

I drink occasionally, and get drunk maybe a couple times a year. I keep beer in my fridge, because I love it. It's also supposed to be good for your heart (blood pressure) to drink a little bit every few days.

Other than that, I only drink when I'm with people I trust and who are classy, in a safe environment. As a college student, those people are few and far between. I like to be more sober than the people around me as well.

Oh, and also, if I drink more than two shots of alcohol I get dizzy and get a headache. So that's unpleasant. A bigger problem is that I don't like a lot of the other things that people pair with drinking: super loud music, flashing lights, fog machines, smoking and other drugs.

As for me, I absolutely LOVE the taste of some alcohols (so far I hate beer and white wine- On the other hand I've liked all spirits I've tried, except Jack Daniels... not sure what that is, and I *kind of* like red wine).

For me the deterrent is the fact that I don't want to lose control, nor become someone not me whilst drunk :L

As for me, I absolutely LOVE the taste of some alcohols (so far I hate beer and white wine- On the other hand I've liked all spirits I've tried, except Jack Daniels... not sure what that is, and I *kind of* like red wine). For me the deterrent is the fact that I don't want to lose control, nor become someone not me whilst drunk :L

Jack Daniel's is top! Red wine is awful, too acidic.

I drink occasionally. Before I quit my job last year I drank regularly.

I only have a pint or two a week, and it's usually craft beers. The main reason is that I can't afford to drink heavily, and besides that I simply don't see the point of it.

A couple of months ago I did an alcohol-free month, mainly to prove to myself that I could do it, also out of interest to see if I noticed any health benefits. (My usual intake is alcohol in moderation with an evening meal). It didn't make me want to give up drinking alcohol (I didn't notice any health benefits), but I feel better knowing that I was able to give it up for a month without difficulty (so proved to myself that drinking regularly is not an addictive behaviour for me). Also it gave me a sense of achievement. :)

Artistofnoname

Cause I don't need to drink to get drunk, I get drunk on just plan living.

Plus I have aspergers and enough trouble with my brain as it is. No need to complicate things farther.

I have also seen the stupid things people do while drunk.

Rock and Roll Dear

I have never actually been drunk, but from what I know I can feel all of the side effects of drinking when I come out of on of my anxiety attacks. The Idea of losing awareness of my soundings as well as not being in control of myself has giving me an anxiety attack as well so I just stay away from it.

It feels good. When you are a little happier than usual. :D

I like the taste of beer, that's why I don't drink to get drunk. When you want to get drunk you will choose the cheapest alcohol you can and when you're drunk, you can't taste a damn thing.

And good beer is a little more expensive so, there is that.

I only drink occasionally because of money. When I have cash though, I love making tequila sunrises and such ^^

Captain Darkhorse

Due to having a ridiculously high tolerance, I haven't been drunk. However, my work team and I will go out occasionally and I'll have a beer or two. I also like whiskey, both alone and with hard cider, and I'll mix that if I want to have a celebratory drink alone. The latter is quite rare though - I'm a social drinker by nature.

iamphoenixfire

granted in my country i am underage but hey shit happens.

that being said ive only ever had a sip or two (sip of my friend's beer at a party after i took in a ton of smoke and was having a coughing fit and sips of my parent's beer and wine and a few sips of hard lemonade and iced tea just to try it). This is mostly for medical reasons (dad's side is all alcoholic and from my mom's side i have a rare cell condition that long story short along with messing up my entire metabolism if i get really really drunk i can go blind) and the fact that as an underage individual the only real chance i have to drink is parties- and im not into that. ive been to one and i didn't like it. it wasn't even like a rave sort of thing either; just people playing a stoned version of beer pong rather quietly in a garage. so i have never been drunk. but i have been high and well what i learned from that is that i have an incredibly slow metabolism. it took me awhile to feel something there. and it lasted forever (the amount i smoked was supposed to last 2-8 hours; i lasted 20 hours). this also happens when i drink something caffeinated. so id imagine that the same or at least something similar would be true with alcohol. that being said ive only done pot once and id do it again but its too risky my mom was a stoner in college she would know.

also i dont like the taste. it's awful.

Archived