AVEN & Malware?

Coleslaw

Hi all,

As I'm sure everyone noticed, we had a malware warning applied to the site. I wanted to, very briefly, address some concerns.

The site was hacked by an unknown third party and part of the codebase was tampered with. Google's warning was due to the fact that one of our .htaccess files (the hacked one) was attempting to redirect people to a site that would download malware onto your computer. Our primary .htaccess file, however, overrode that one, so no one should have been affected by this. You did all see the byproduct of that: the forums and posts all 404ing. If you are still concerned, please be sure to run a quickscan on your computer with your own antivirus software, but I am confident that no one would have been affected by AVEN.

To fix the issues: we took the site down, changed the passwords, cleaned out the files, had Invision Power Board do a secondary inspection and address any other concerns (Thank you Mark and Rhett!), and then we asked Google to rescan the site to assure we were clean. The fact that you can see this now means Google agrees; we're all good!

So, I am sorry for the big scary red message you've all been seeing, but AVEN is back to normal and, unless someone really hates us, we should be done with hackings for the next little while.

Best,
Coleslaw

Technical Administrator

Thank you, thank you, Cole!! And the rest of the team that was helping out! : )) Thank you for explaining what happened, too! Let's all hope this doesn't happen again. But it's a good thing we have such awesome, reliable people like you to fix things. : )

051120081-01-chocolate-irish-whiskey-cak

Good work :) Nice to see you stepping up for AVEN and the asexuals yet again and dedicating so much of your freetime toward people who may not seem grateful. Anyway know that all of us greatly appriciate your hardwork :)

Mycroft is Yourcroft

Thank you so much Mark, Rhett and Cole!

Cake for you all :)

Congrats, and a great big thank you to all who worked on the problem! ^^

Thank you thank you thank you. @}-

I seriously hope there is nobody out there trying to bring this down. It is tasteless. . .

Thank you again ! <3

Thank you for all the hard work, and for all the people that assisted you.

Dear Coleslaw and everyone involved in helping,

Thank you for the hard work on finding the cause and fixing everything. And thanks for the clear statement about what happened.

You're all very awesome!! :D

P.S. On the backup forum we've been talking a bit about the possibilities to support the owners of Aven. I heard donations is a bit tricky because that would count as income... Is there anything we as community could do for you? :)

WhenSummersGone

Thank you and everyone else for all the hard work!

Cole - as always, thank you for your dedication and hard work. You are truly awesome!

I'm so glad the forum is up and running again! For awhile I would check at least twice a day to see if the issue was resolved; today was finally resolved. For awhile I had a lurking fear in the back of my mind that it may never be up and running again.

I'd rather be in band.

Thank you for fixing everything in such a timely manner! Hopefully this doesn't happen again soon! :cake:

Throwing in my two cake crumbs, err... cents... wait, there was a cake, but I'm not sure what happened to it. *wipes icing off mouth*

THANK YOU!!!!

(A)rrogant Avian

Thank you! This makes so much more sense now! Recently I have been getting a few bugs on my computer, and I had no idea where they were coming from, maybe they were coming from somewhere else, but this makes much more sense.

Thank you Cole & team. :)

Since the site was hacked, is there any info (our passwords, emails, etc) they would have had access to? I know sometimes it feeds phishing and such when a site is hacked.

Archived