This Quote: Relevant in SJ/Activism Culture?

JAKQ7111

"I will create a world that the humanity of this age cannot...a world where the weak are never trampled...with a form of life that will not seek the power to oppress...our own history is the proof...as humans gain strength, they lose their compassion."

This is a quote from Kamen Rider Gaim, one of my favorite shows of all time. The overarching themes of this show include how power can corrupt, and whether it is inherently corrupting, or if that is something that certain people let happen to them with their added strength. Now, I found this quote very poignant, and I think there is at least some truth in it. The ironic thing, however, is that it was the villain of the story who said this, with the real hero taking the stance that there are many people who are both strong and compassionate, and that there need not be a mass genocide of humanity in order to save the world.

Now, here comes the reason why I shared this quote. I have been thinking about this in the context of real-world social justice and activism culture, and how it can easily be interpreted as very relevant in that context. Just take out the word 'strength', and substitute 'privilege', and get out the plot-relevant stuff about actually rewriting the world with new life forms, and it's pretty poignant! I just want to see what people think about this philosophy, and how true it may be. Thoughts?

I can't help but think the same thing I always do: Fine words, but bring it down to earth. It's easy to come up with a poignant speech about the world you'd like to see, but much harder to actually make it happen. Words are easy, actions are hard. Or to put it another way - don't just talk about being compassionate, be compassionate.

"As humans gain strength, they lose their compassion" ... hm. I don't agree. I think whether people are powerful/privileged or not, they still have the same capacity for compassion. I've personally met people on the bottom of society with a complete disregard for people just like them, and people who are doing very nicely for themselves who give their time, physical energy, and emotional energy to help people they don't know and will never meet again.

I no longer pay much attention to people who describe what world they want, if they don't say anything about what they're actually doing to bring that world about.

Well, to all of you, the quote in the context of the show actually took place right before the final battle, so the character was actually planning on changing the world to fit his philosophy, but that's a bit beside the point.

It's beside the point because it's fiction.

Exactly. I was just using Kaito's philosophical quote as a springboard for a discussion on how it may or may not relate to not-so-fictional activism and social justice culture, because I do see at least some connections there.

I don't know about SJ culture (as in the SJ warriors on whatever-website-it-is), but in actual social justice work, that quote doesn't resonate with me.

Hmm...I guess I was referring not just to Internet activism and that sort of thing, but also to protest movements such as Occupy, or the various protest campaigns worldwide to fight rape culture and the like. All seem to involve trying to spread their words as far and wide as possible, to try and promote change from the ground up, much like Kaito. Of course, it could be a bit of a stretch, hence the discussion thread. I'd love to hear what more of y'all have to say on the matter.

Calligraphette_Coe

It's always sad to observe the decay of ideals that happens when the new occupant of the Bully Pulpit starts to forget to whom they promised what to get there.

Nice article. It kind of emphasises my point above - namely that endless thousands of words in clever blog posts isn't the same as being compassionate. The internet, and social media particularly, has blurred the lines of reality, I feel, and in the case of social justice, not in a good way. When you're either preaching to the converted or bullying the heretic, you're not actually doing anything to help your cause - instead you're merely fighting your own battle, for the sake of yourself.

I can't help but feel that if you really want to change the world for the better, the best place to start would be to run some errands for an elderly neighbour who can barely get down to the store any more. You won't feel like a hero but I can damn well guarantee it'll do more good than any one blog post would

I think my favourite part of that article is the woman who attended the conference (who is a Person of Color) talking about being whitesplained that no one at the conference was a person of color, and how that was bad.

It's always sad to observe the decay of ideals that happens when the new occupant of the Bully Pulpit starts to forget to whom they promised what to get there.

I'm not sure I get your meaning. Is it okay if you elaborate a bit?

Calligraphette_Coe

I'm not sure I get your meaning. Is it okay if you elaborate a bit?

Certainly. Sometimes people who become the most political in a community of oppressed people leverage that to become more authoritative. Then they use that authoritative voice after a bit to start throwing people under the bus. First it's the people who were being marginalized by the bigger community, but often that's only the starting point. They sometimes become a Big Name Such-and-such, and from there it's only a short step to becoming a Law Unto Themselves. With a Bully Pulpit from which to preach, many times to the detriment of the oppressed peoples from their pasts.

Example? Google up the recent Zinnia Jones/Ru Paul controversy. I knew some of the people involved in that one before they were famous. Back when they had doubts and fears.

Hmm, that is quite an interesting take, ZP. I would not have thought of that, but it certainly does make sense.

Calligraphette_Coe

Hmm, that is quite an interesting take, ZP. I would not have thought of that, but it certainly does make sense.

I wish I hadn't had to. Nothing good came of it, other than to educate me when a Range War was imminent and how to stay out of the crosshairs and crossfire. I don't think you can ever go wrong overestimating peoples' xenophobia and the things it will make them do to you if you aren't good at Coloring Yourself Gone when the dark clouds gather. People can get really mean when they set out to zealously defend their Spaces.

It's sad, really. I agree with so much of what these people are trying to do, and it's so saddening to see its worst excesses running rampant. Or perhaps it's simply an example of this effect.

Archived