Has there been any actual research on asexuality?

Satori

I have to write a 7-10 page paper for my Human Sexuality class and the professor wants no less then 7 sources and we cant use antidotal sources like peoples webpages or there personal experiences. I would like to write it on asex but are there actually 7 credible sources of studies?

Cate Perfect

The short answer: no.

There's a New Scientist article that might be of use, but other than that...sorry.

Cate

The short answer: no.

Not quite.

Some students at the Kinsey Institute did a survey, the results of which can be found at http://www.asexuality.org/docs/SSSS_2003.ppt

There is also Anthony Bogaert's article (which can be found online at http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._41/ai_n6274004 ); this also has a bibliography.

Neither of these things is a study involving taking self-professed asexuals into a lab and studying them, or anything like that, and I don't know if even the bibliography will bring you up to seven sources, but it's not nothing.

2013 Mod Edit: The first link is a powerpoint now re-uploaded here. A preview of Bogaert's article can be found here. Anyone who is interested in reading the full article can PM me or the Project Team.

Cate Perfect

I stand happily corrected.

Cate

Opel the Old

i read somewhere that, supposedly Kinsey's Human Sexuality mentioned about a certain amount of people who does not experience sexual drive, but no further discussion of it. you can take a look

• 4 weeks later...
There is also Anthony Bogaert's article

Hopefully, there will be better research in the future, but that article does state:

Of the participants, 195 or 1.05% reported being asexual. (1) This rate is very similar to the rate of same-sex attraction (both exclusive same-sex and bisexuality combined; 207 or 1.11%). However, binomial tests indicated that there were more gay and bisexual men than asexual men (p < .001) and more asexual women than lesbian and bisexual women (p < .001). (emphasis mine)

K :wink:

Theres the UUA article i think somewhere, check the world watch forum, theres links to a few articles their but wouldn't the CBS3 count for something as well? Just a few thoughts. :roll:

Archived