Number of languages?

PlanetF

How many languages do you speak?  

1. 1. Number of fluent languages - I could converse in a wide variety of topics without too much problem, but my grammar may be wobbly

• 4+
  2. 2. Number of get-by languages (over and above #1) - I could order a coffee, give/follow directions, and generally get by in these languages

• 4+
  3. 3. Point and grunt languages (over and above #1 and #2!) - I could point at something and ask for the required number, say thank you and good bye, and that's about it

• 4+

Fluent English...really good at Japanese (except reading/writing!! Listening and translating is what I'm best at). I took several years of French in school, though I really don't remember much anymore lol. My French teachers would be disappointed to know that I'm point-and-grunt level with it now lol.

Fluent in English and relatively fluent in Spanish. Point and grunt language is Japanese.

Learned French & German at school, so I could get by if no-one else spoke English. I self-learned Romanian to go on aid trips over there, and still speak enough to get by, but now I'm endevouring to learn Chinese Mandarin at evening classes...

I speak fluent English....that's about it. I know some French (studied at school whether I liked it or not), Spanish and Japanese and a little German but not enough to get by very well. I also know a few words in Latin and even Welsh and Cornish.

I really need to brush up on all those (besides Spanish which I've more recently been picking up on) though....

Ooh, what Welsh do you know?

Learned French & German at school, so I could get by if no-one else spoke English. I self-learned Romanian to go on aid trips over there, and still speak enough to get by, but now I'm endevouring to learn Chinese Mandarin at evening classes...

Cool, another 中文 enthusiast! How have you been doing with Mandarin!? Even though I live in China, I don't seem to have a lot of time/energy to study and the classes I get are not really that good. Most of my progress has actually been with flashcard programs like memrise.com - I actually found that memorizing characters is more fun and less intimidating than learning to speak!?

Fluent in English (wow, nobody expected that, right?) and Polish. I know some basics of German (I've been learning this for 6 years at school and truly hate it) and Japanese (I actually want it to be my third language in the future)

German is my first language, so I am fluent in it.

As one can deduce from me being on this forum and writing this post it appears to be that I am fluent in English as well.

Furthermore I have rudimentary Latin skills which don't really amount to much but exist nonetheless.

Captain Darkhorse

Fluent in English and Spanish (with the latter being the 2nd acquisition)

Conversational-ish languages include Portuguese and Latin. Well, the latter itself is a dead language, but it enables me to at least understand spoken Italian.

Point and grunt is Ukrainian. I'm trying to get better, but it's still very point-y and grunt-y

I'm fluent in Italian (my motherlanguage), English and Portuguese (I have lived 6 years in Brazil as a child and currently half my family lives there). I can speak French and Spanish, but not fluently.

Waist of Thyme

I only know English fluently. I know some Spanish and French words that almost everyone knows, I can say hello in Chinese, yes in Russian, and I know some Japanese words and terms from anime/manga and games.

Fluent in English, I know a decent amount of Spanish (enough to know to understand a part of a conversation or when someone is cussing at me :P), a very small amount of German (very little and my knowledge of it is fleeting at best), an okay amount of Japanese (I can read Hiragana and a few Kanji, I know how to apologize, how to introduce myself and a few random words so far), a tiny bit of Korean and a small amount of Tsalagi (I hope to become proficient in Japanese and Tsalagi). ^_^

Kitty Spoon Train

Fluent in English and Croatian - although my Croatian is a little bit simple and domestic at this point - since I immigrated here when I was 10, so it got mostly stuck at that level. eg. I couldn't exactly write scholarly academic papers in it, but for everyday conversation I'm essentially a lapsed native speaker. :lol:

Also, I have a spectrum of "point and grunt" ability in a whole bunch of European languages, with probably the best ones being Slovenian, Spanish and Italian.

Note: with most Slavic languages some basic point and grunt ability is there (to some degree) simply because of their similarities, but it's strongest in reading. Speaking and listening comprehension are much harder. But if Slavs just speak their own languages at each other and point and grunt and repeat and rephrase ourselves, we can usually get some very basic communication across. Some combinations of languages are much closer than others though. eg. Slovenian and Croatian are so close, that if it wasn't for ethnic identity reasons, they'd probably be considered dialects of the same language. It's almost as close as two English speakers from very different parts of the world trying to communicate in very heavy local slang and local accent. ie You can basically get the gist of a lot of very basic conversation, you just miss a lot of individual words and accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm fluent in two languages but I also know how to count in at least 7 so I can point and grunt a lot, lol

My first language is English and, I wouldn't use the word "fluent", but I meet this poll's criteria for German. I could talk about most things and use adequate grammar. Definitely mess up my adjective endings though :rolleyes: Norwegian is a get-by language. I've studied it formally for a year and on my own for much longer. If we can speak slow and use simple sentences, I got it. And I can point, grunt, and maybe even a little more in Spanish, Icelandic, Finnish, and Arabic.

And then there's some weird cases with other Germanic languages where I can kind of understand them but not speak them myself. Dutch is close enough to German that I could almost sort-of have an idea what's going on (Flemish dialect is even better!). Danish is practically identical to Bokmål Norwegian, which is what I learned... in writing. I can't understand spoken Danish at all :lol: I can understand Swedish okay, better than I can some Norwegians! wowee does Norway have dialects :')

Being from a bilingual country, I'm really interested in other people's experiences with learning languages, be it from school or travel or watching anime (I know you're out there...). Even though the main AVEN site is English, I know we're spread around the world and there are probably some impressive polyglots amongst us!

For myself, I speak English as a mother tongue, but learned French from such a young age that I more or less consider myself bilingual (grammar aside...). I would say I had 2 get-by languages, German and Spanish, and I'd probably consider Norwegian to be my only real point and grunt language.

My first language is English and, I wouldn't use the word "fluent", but I meet this poll's criteria for German. I could talk about most things and use adequate grammar. Definitely mess up my adjective endings though :rolleyes: Norwegian is a get-by language. I've studied it formally for a year and on my own for much longer. If we can speak slow and use simple sentences, I got it. And I can point, grunt, and maybe even a little more in Spanish, Icelandic, Finnish, and Arabic.

And then there's some weird cases with other Germanic languages where I can kind of understand them but not speak them myself. Dutch is close enough to German that I could almost sort-of have an idea what's going on (Flemish dialect is even better!). Danish is practically identical to Bokmål Norwegian, which is what I learned... in writing. I can't understand spoken Danish at all :lol: I can understand Swedish okay, better than I can some Norwegians! wowee does Norway have dialects :')

Out of curiosty, what do you know in Norwegian? :D

Anyways as for me: Fluent in Norwegian (both written languages and oral (at least my dialect), English and German. Perhaps also Danish and Swedish as I understand it perfectly well and vice verca, but I would consider my level in actually speaking them between fluent and get-by. French and Spanish would also be considered get-by while Italian would be that point and grunt one.

Being from a bilingual country, I'm really interested in other people's experiences with learning languages, be it from school or travel or watching anime (I know you're out there...). Even though the main AVEN site is English, I know we're spread around the world and there are probably some impressive polyglots amongst us!

For myself, I speak English as a mother tongue, but learned French from such a young age that I more or less consider myself bilingual (grammar aside...). I would say I had 2 get-by languages, German and Spanish, and I'd probably consider Norwegian to be my only real point and grunt language.

Out of curiosty, what do you know in Norwegian? :D

Anyways as for me: Fluent in Norwegian (both written languages and oral (at least my dialect), English and German. Perhaps also Danish and Swedish as I understand it perfectly well and vice verca, but I would consider my level in actually speaking them between fluent and get-by. French and Spanish would also be considered get-by while Italian would be that point and grunt one.

Don't ask me to write any of this, but I can count to 12, say thank you, thousand thanks, thank you for the meal, you're welcome, hello, apple and orange. I spent a few weeks with Norwegian relatives, but their English was so good I didn't manage to pick up much more than that!

I speak fluent English, and pretty decent German.

I could get by in Korea if I had to. And I'm currently learning Chinese in university.

I know the bare minimum of Spanish (5+ years in high school taught me how to say yes! no! and to count to 100), and Japanese (anime is good for something!).

I'm a native French speaker and an "almost advanced" English speaker (C1 for written English, "high" B2 in conversations, so much so that I now spontaneously think and dream equally in English and French), plus school German and a few words in many languages (especially Latin, ancient Greek, Scottish Gaelic, Arabic).

Fluent in Dutch, English, and sub-fluent in French. Basic grasp of German, sub-basic grasp of Spanish. Knowlegde of a few words in "most" languages.

Fluent in English, fair in French, but could do with a refresher experience. Somehow got a GCSE in German, but struggle to form a single sentence. Can get fed and watered in Italian, but with no grammar.

I'm a native English speaker, with basic Japanese knowledge (enough for basic conversation). I know some Spanish, but not enough to even hold any semblance of a conversation.

Fluent in English, Danish and Japanese.

Can grunt and point in German (Entschuldigung, ich sprechen nicht Deutsch und ich habe kein geld <- All I retained from my German lessons :) )

I suppose I could get by just fine in Norway if they speak a bit slowly (the k's always trip me up) but then I'd be replying in Danish and isn't that cheating sort of? And Sweden... is Sweden. Maybe if they speak reeaallly slowly... I'd get it eventually... probably.

I'm pretty sure I'm fluent in English. I know some Spanish too. I'm looking for a way to improve my Spanish. I know a lot of words but it's the part where you turn them into sentences that are really tricky.

Squirrel Combat

I talks english goods! Buts french unbetter kinda.

I'm fluent in English and pretty good at Japanese. Suppose I can point and grunt in Spanish if I really had to (so much for all that time studying it in school haha)

• 11 months later...

Bilingualism is sort of compulsory in our country. We're required to learn English and our mother tongue - that's mandarin for me. Otherwise, I love languages and have been avidly studying Russian and Latin (my pronunciation's horrible tho). I started Swedish this year and intend to start learning at least a few more languages once I'm cleared from exams. As for point and grunt languages, you tend to pick them up along the way? Like, I can probably rattle off hello and goodbye in lots of other languages because I come across them in fics and root words and the like.

allrightalready

born an raised in the USA i am not even competent in real english, i speak 'murikan (quite well at that though)

123 haha

English is my native language but I was beyond grunt level in Spanish growing up. (My aunt was from Mexico and Spanish was mandatory from first to eighth grade.) I lost most of that when I learned French in high school where I completed honors French IV. My French is very very rusty now because I don't get to practice it often. But I can get by on it on a basic conversation level. Like I can read signs, maps, ask for directions, order food, etc. I'm now grunt level Spanish. I'd love to say I'm grunt level in ASL but it's so much less than Spanish that I'm going to not include it because of the disparity. Which is sad because my Spanish currently excludes all grammar!

(If you know 0 languages, you wouldn't be able to answer the question...)

Toby The Casual Prince

I speak Swedish and English pretty well. Swedish being my first language and English the one I use the most for communicating. I could get by in Spanish. While I do not speak Norwegian and Danish I would be able to follow directions in both Norwegian and Danish. And I can point and grunt in Japanese. Hopefully I will move to the get by category in Japanese at the end of this year.

Archived