The brain during an orgasm looks much like the brain of a person taking heroin

Chewy

Came across something interesting while I was trying to search of an answer to my question http://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/sexuality/brain-during-orgasm2.htm

What if my asexuality is like a stunted growth on the part of the brain that is responsible for sexuality?

What if my world of sexuality is = to a 4 year old's world on sexuality?

It's not really accurate to say that there's a single part of the brain that only handles sex. Food, drugs, sex, and activities associated with reward all stimulate the pleasure center of the brain, releasing dopamine. The way they affect the brain isn't the same, and their effects can start in different pathways in the brain, though they all lead into the dopamine pathway. Some asexuals can orgasm, and there are non-asexuals who can't.

However, what I don't know is, if someone doesn't enjoy sex, but they have it anyways, then does that mean sex doesn't effectively stimulate the pleasure center of the brain, or it's not reinforced?

As someone who have a libido, this does not surprise me one bit. It's like heroin, man.

I don't do drugs though, so I can't really say, but still...

Re question about asexual having sex: I had sex for many years, and never enjoyed it, and certainly the 50th sexual experience didn't feel any better than the 1st. -- so I doubt there's "reinforcement" simply by continuing to have sex.

TLDR: It didn't get better.

For those who like the idea of sex but don't actually want to do the act. I would say, their physical sensors do not match their mental sensors. Like, I don't like the physical feeling of having something inside my VJJ.

Lord Happy Toast

It's not really accurate to say that there's a single part of the brain that only handles sex. Food, drugs, sex, and activities associated with reward all stimulate the pleasure center of the brain, releasing dopamine. The way they affect the brain isn't the same, and their effects can start in different pathways in the brain, though they all lead into the dopamine pathway. Some asexuals can orgasm, and there are non-asexuals who can't.

However, what I don't know is, if someone doesn't enjoy sex, but they have it anyways, then does that mean sex doesn't effectively stimulate the pleasure center of the brain, or it's not reinforced?

I recall reading some of Hellen Singer Kaplan's work on low sexual desire. (Within sex therapy, she was probably the most prolific author on the subject in the 70s and 80s.) Something she notes was that it wasn't that uncommon for one partner to have virtually no interest in sex, but to report that they generally enjoyed sex when they had it. I think she found this confusing, as the behaviorist in her told her that if you enjoy something, it should cause positive reinforcement and cause you to want it more in the future. (I read this a while ago, so my memory might not be all that reliable here.)

I think those of us who do not enjoy it are kind of like people who enjoy adrenaline rushes vs those that don't. I can feel sensations, I simply do not find them to be pleasurable. It is more irritating and/or uncomfortable. It is like being on a roller coaster, others are enjoying the sensations and I am just like " is it over yet?" ... so do peoples brains light up the same if they feel it but do not enjoy it? Could probably find studies on that for other things. Probably similar for sex.

I have a relatively high libido and enjoy the feeling of orgasm,I just don't enjoy partnered sex because I experience no sexual pleasure from having my genitals stimulated by another person. Masturbation yes. Coitus no.

I have a relatively high libido and enjoy the feeling of orgasm,I just don't enjoy partnered sex because I experience no sexual pleasure from having my genitals stimulated by another person. Masturbation yes. Coitus no.

The mind and its power :D I am an addicted ... :blush:

This thread has been moved to The Grey Area, Sex and Related Discussions.

Heart

Asexual Q&A Moderator

I think those of us who do not enjoy it are kind of like people who enjoy adrenaline rushes vs those that don't. I can feel sensations, I simply do not find them to be pleasurable. It is more irritating and/or uncomfortable. It is like being on a roller coaster, others are enjoying the sensations and I am just like " is it over yet?" ... so do peoples brains light up the same if they feel it but do not enjoy it? Could probably find studies on that for other things. Probably similar for sex.

That's interesting. I've been on a roller coaster a couple times before and I didn't find it enjoyable at all.

From a sexual perspective, I've never even been on the roller coaster, so to speak. Similarly, I can't see how it would be enjoyable.

WhenSummersGone

My libido isn't as high as it used to be but I can still have an orgasm. This doesn't surprise me as it feels really good even though I don't have much of a drive to masturbate. Feels good but so what? Lol.

Archived