Asexual Military Veterans

Ultima

Veterans of Military Organizations   

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you a veteran of a military organization? (In any country)

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Are you active?

• Active
    • Not Active
    • Retired
    • Not Military

This poll is closed to new votes

I am curious to see how many of us here on AVEN have served or are serving in the military. This question is for military veterans in any country and it would be great if you would post which country you served in and for how long. I myself served in the U.S. military for 7 years and I completed my enlistment in 2008.

I was in the United States Marine Corps between 2002 and 2007. Combat training broke my knees so now I'm permanently disabled. I fixed radar on the F/18 fighter jet.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to join the marines but 9/11 happened right before I graduated highschool and my mother would have murdered me

ValarMorghoulie

Currently Serving in the U.S Air Force, AMMO. Stationed in the good ol' South Korea! c:

Spend 12 years as a regular in the British Forces then did another three as a civilian contractor for a U.S. company.

As another British icon once said “Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” (Winston Churchill)

Contrarian Expatriate

Marine in the 1980's. I was the guy who did not have a girlfriend and was also the only one in my unit that felt that was fine.

Oh how I wish I had known about asexuality back then!

As another British icon once said “Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” (Winston Churchill)

So True! Especially when it is a RPG that is being fired at you.

Marine in the 1980's. I was the guy who did not have a girlfriend and was also the only one in my unit that felt that was fine.

Oh how I wish I had known about asexuality back then!

I wish I had known I was back when I was in the Army as well.

I'm afraid I'm not military, but I am an Air Force brat (my father was acitve military for about 20 years and now works as a contractor). Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for what you do/have done!

Spend 12 years as a regular in the British Forces then did another three as a civilian contractor for a U.S. company.

I just think the sound when bullets fly over you are fascinating :p Other than that we have been shot at by artillery and one time jet fighters (by a mistake) and didn't really think and feel much there and then or after :p

Ha! Never had that particular experience, for me it was just rocks, bottles and small arms fire. I think that if I was facing an RPG my exhilaration would have been somewhat brown and sticky.

Ha! Never had that particular experience, for me it was just rocks, bottles and small arms fire. I think that if I was facing an RPG my exhilaration would have been somewhat brown and sticky.

The thing about RPGs is that they notoriously inaccurate. In my unit we would often joke:

The safest place to be

Is the target of an RPG

I have yet to see someone actually hit the target they were aiming at with a RPG.

OPSEC...not telling.

Everything said here is pretty harmless.

Aisntllecxtual

I was 55 months in the US Air Force from 1979-84. I was a Maintenance Analyst. We did number-crunching statistics, record-keeping/distribution, facilitated investigations into aircraft malfunctions/mishaps by providing relevant data in regard to matter at hand. At Travis AFB, CA (MAC base), I worked around transport aircraft, C-5s and C-141s primarily. At Bitburg AB I worked with tactical aircraft, primarily F-15s.

I was a virgin when I went in and also when I was discharged. I went on one date during the more than 4 1/2 years of my enlistment. She was hispanic and one of the most beautiful women I had ever encountered. We were in a creative writing class together off-base - stationed in Bitburg AB (in West Germany, what was then a cold war divided Europe). I loved the class and was doing well, she not so. Anyway, she decided she was going to take leave and go and tour Spain. She asked if I wished to go. I told her that it meant we would have to drop out of our class. She didn't say anything to that prospect. She dropped out and toured Spain. I remained in the class and got an A. It was a couple of months later that I learned from my office colleague that she had seen her on base and she was pregnant - and if I recall unmarried. I wonder how she's doing today. I hope well.

I was stationed at Bitburg during the massive demonstrations in Europe against stationing US Pershing missles on the Old Continent (If any of you are old enough to remember, or otherwise read/heard/told about it, it was during the time of the controversy regarding the development/use of the neutron bomb, the Greenham Common peace demonstrations, and Petra Kelly (the establishment of the Green Party in W. Germany)). An ocean of people would demonstrate day in day out outside the gates of the base. I remember the meeting in our NCO's office as if it was yesterday. Our dear leader (and he was dear, a really nice guy - fond memories) ended the meeting with a warning to us - but he was looking straight at me - not to join the demonstrators outside the gates. It was all said in ha-ha light-hearted jest but I was not blind to the underlying serious edge. You see I was one of those left-wing commie radicals that joined the military (joined initially to travel, particularly, wished to go back to Europe where I had been an exchange student - to Norway - my senior year of high school, later, the motivation to take classes (free-of-charge) and participate in VEAP to save for college so that when I was discharged I could pursue university studies) . My immediate supervisor refused to color my star blue in elevating me from Senior Airman to Sergeant (NCO status) because, as what was written in the report in essence, I did not present a good Air Force image, that I could be influential in turning underling Air Force recruits into dangerous radicals through the force of my arguments, turning them away from the true blue path of upright Air Force thought and behavior (we had many political debates in our office - and I was at first the initiator - provocateur - but later I was many times goaded, what fun!) I'll never forget the time when I was going through NCO training. The instructor went around the classroom to all of us and asked us what our favorite color was until the question finally presented itself to me. All the others mentioned "safe" colors or even the one that was really welcomed, lauded, blue. But, you guessed it, when it came to me, I answered "red." The instructor didn't know what to say, just shook his head. The instructor called up a very attractive female airman and had her sit down in a chair as he walked repetitively in a circle around her staring at her. Obviously, he was inspecting her to make sure she abided by Air Force codes of hair length, dress, etc., and of course I knew this, but regardless when he called on me (big mistake) to ask what he was doing, I had the joking audacity to answer him, "undressing her with your eyes?" I remember everybody's expression just froze, and then uproarious laughter broke out until it deafeningly engulfed the room. Defiance, defiance, defiance: giving British salutes to officers, slicking our hair back to avoid touching the ears (code violation), etc., etc., etc. What great times (and innocent times, unlike time of war (post-9/11 and times earlier). I am so thankful to the Air Force, no matter how I ragged on it, for great times and what it helped me achieve later in life. An awfully long posting but I hope the read was enjoyable. Thanks (you really had no choice!) for a gratifying trip down memory lane.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone doing anything for Veterans day?

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived