BBC 3-Free Speech on Asexuality (UK asexuals may be interested)

Poots

On channel BBC 3 there is a TV show called 'Free Speech'. It is a live debate show, where members of the public have a debate on the show about controversial topics and the biggest issue we are facing today. I have noticed they have covered homosexuality issues, so why not asexuality?

Here is an episode about 'Is it okay to be gay and muslim?' It will give some insight about what the show is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eLaPaKU2HU

So my idea was to have the topic of sexuality on the show. I'm not sure what the question would be. It could be something like, 'why is asexuality not talked about?', 'what discrimination do asexuals face?'

Suggestions about what the question should be would be great :)

I don't want to go on TV myself, but it would be good if we set up a plan to contact the BBC on this, and find a group of asexuals who would be willing to go on the show.

This is just an idea, but I think it would be great for visibility and education.

This sounds like a really good idea :D I'd really love to see more exposure for us. I've only ever seen one TV article on asexuality and that was from New Zealand. It would be great to see an article that would play in Europe and North America to bring exposure here.

That's a really interesting idea. It would be quite validating for a lot of people, if a program like this were to cover the topic.

I wonder though - I've not heard of the program myself, and whilst I alone am not a litmus test, I wonder how many people watch the show? Would it reach the right audience?

A lot of people watch BBC 3. That channel is aimed a lot young people in their late teens, 20's and 30's. Most likely the younger generation will watch it. By the way, its on TV tomorrow at 8pm on BBC three. They are debating about scottish independence

Sebastian Grace

That's an excellent idea. I would participate if I still lived in the UK. I am sure that ithaca would be interested as well (I wish we could tag each other in comments!)

Well I'm not sure if there would be the base level of knowledge about asexuality to do this, and also can't think of a big question - asexuality isn't really that controversial is it?

Well I'm not sure if there would be the base level of knowledge about asexuality to do this, and also can't think of a big question - asexuality isn't really that controversial is it?

Depends who you ask... A more controversial question could be: "Does Asexuality belong in the LGBT group?"

Mycroft is Yourcroft

This is a great idea! I'd consider participating if we can get this up and running

Great idea, Puss in Boots! Another question could be "Why is it important to identify as something different? Why can't you just fit in with society?" Plus I guess some of the usual 101 questions - "How do you know if you haven't tried sleeping with everything in the world?" (sarcasm ;) ) "Aren't you too young to know?" (witness 12 yr old pregnancies - they weren't too young to know!), "Maybe you haven't met the right person yet?" etc.

I think one reason it's often not seen as controversial in more liberal Western countries is that people don't really think it exists - or even don't know about it, so non-aces don't really even entertain the notion of asexuality. Those of stronger conservative or religious views may be less accepting, so it would make for a very interesting program...

I'm not in the UK, but I'll be watching it on iPlayer if it gets up!

• 2 weeks later...

A more pressing question is "Why aren't asexuals protected by the Equality Act 2010?" — I've been doing my own research on this. Fact is, we aren't. We don't fulfil the definition of sexual orientation in Section 12 Article 1 (look it up if you don't believe me! I've had it confirmed by the House of Commons Library).

It raises some of the other questions that have been mentioned in this thread so far: does discrimination against asexuals exist? Does asexuality exist?

• 1 month later...

Love the idea! Im already doing drama at college so i should be able to face a camera, i would really like to see this happen! I have always wanted to raise awareness but have made too little an impact.

Awesome idea, not only would it bring awareness to asexuality, but also address the questions and misinformation we so often come across

Anyone who have contacted BBC or tried to organize some stuff? :) Any news from the Project Team?

• 2 weeks later...

There has been one Ace segment on BBC-5 (radio)...maybe the producer(s) who lined that up for Matthew Bannister are still working there and might be interested?

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on how long it took to set up I might be old enough to go for the discussion, I think if anything does happen it would be important to have a panel with some younger aces and some older aces.

• 4 weeks later...

Yet another reason why BBC3 is the best channel ever :D

I love this idea

Archived