Thoughts on getting a tattoo relating to asexuality?

I'd rather be in band.

I'd rather be in band.

Today, I met someone who happened to be a lesbian that tattooed a symbol of homosexuality on their wrist and it provoked a certain thought within me that I haven't previously pondered; wouldn't a tattoo relating to asexuality be nice? So, I decided to bring it up here. This may have been an inquiry previously mentioned on AVEN, and I apologize if that is the case, but would you ever get a tattoo relating to your(a)sexuality?

I personally might in the future if I stew it over in my mind enough to conclude it is the best decision for me.

The idea of getting a tattoo had always freaked me out because I am terrified of needles. But if I were to get a tattoo and asexuality tattoo would be pretty cool. I'd also be curious to see if anyone else has done this :)

Your choice, but do you really want the topic to follow wherever you go? It may seem like a good idea at first, and I'm sure the girl you met was nice, but she must be asked about it constantly.

You may get questions about it, and some people might not react in a positive manner. Not that you should base your choice on haters, but I personally would not want it engraved on me. Sometimes eating a cheeseburger in public without getting weird stares is a good thing. You don't need to wear your sexuality on your sleeve to get people to respect your viewpoint. It's almost shoving it others faces, and we know too well how much we hate that sex is shoved in ours.

My personal gripe about tattoos is first of all, they don't look classy. When a girl wears a pretty dress and you see a tattoo, the attention goes to the tattoo and not how nice she looks. This goes for any tattoo. The only time I can think of where a tattoo looks like it belongs is if someone is a motorcyclist.

Also, you should consider the fact that when you get old, the tattoo will stretch and fade. It might look good now, but think about how it looks 30 years from now. There have been people who want a tattoo when they are younger, but when they get older they hate it. Don't be that person, and make sure it's something you for sure want with no regrets.

Personally, tattoo, no, because my orientation is first my business, secondly something fluid enough and not very tattoo-worthy.

But something less permanent, I was having a while. Basically went just with 'A' with the triangle coloring because the triangle itself wasn't really getting people an idea, and I'm not all that fond of triangles to denote orientations :P

In every case, your body, your choices, and how much you want to let people know about your personality and life is also your choice. Don't let the naysayers and haters put you down.

I don't really have a cool idea about what you could actually get tattooed right now, but what I always think is best when you want a tattoo is to have an erasable one first (they still stay a pretty long time) and then figure out if you like it and what other people say (if you care about that) before getting the real thing. But I definitely think it's a good idea, since tattoos should be meaningful, and this certainly would be :)

RoswellValentine

An obvious answer for a tattoo relating to (a)sexuality would likely be of a symbol of whatever (a)sexuality [and maybe gender, if you so desire] that you identify with. Make a sketch of the tattoo(s) you want. Go about this however you want to, just make sure that this is what you want.

For me I have very mixed views on tattoos. One the one side they look amazing, but they can interfere with people's views of you later in life depending on where it is. We're always warned at my age that tattoos may make you seem less qualified in job interviews. But since I want to go to Japan one day, they really don't like tattoos so I'd have to seriously think it over if I continue with that goal.

I also am terrified of needles. They're okay an all, but if one's pointed towards me than I'll start having a panic attack. But on the other hand tattoos are permanent representations of you, and something that's important to you.

As long as it wouldn't sag and wasn't extremely noticeable or big, I'd love to get a tattoo. Maybe an ace of hearts tattoo. Or maybe a heart with the flag coloring.

I've been kind of bouncing the idea around in my head for a while. I might eventually (spontaneously one evening at home, like the time I randomly decided to pierce my own ear) do an ace ring tattoo for myself. Save the trouble of wearing a real ring/having it get all scratched up because I went for the cheap oxidised steel option.

I like the idea of getting the gradient triangle on my right middle finger :o

I'd rather be in band.

Your choice, but do you really want the topic to follow wherever you go? It may seem like a good idea at first, and I'm sure the girl you met was nice, but she must be asked about it constantly.

You may get questions about it, and some people might not react in a positive manner. Not that you should base your choice on haters, but I personally would not want it engraved on me. Sometimes eating a cheeseburger in public without getting weird stares is a good thing. You don't need to wear your sexuality on your sleeve to get people to respect your viewpoint. It's almost shoving it others faces, and we know too well how much we hate that sex is shoved in ours.

My personal gripe about tattoos is first of all, they don't look classy. When a girl wears a pretty dress and you see a tattoo, the attention goes to the tattoo and not how nice she looks. This goes for any tattoo. The only time I can think of where a tattoo looks like it belongs is if someone is a motorcyclist.

Also, you should consider the fact that when you get old, the tattoo will stretch and fade. It might look good now, but think about how it looks 30 years from now. There have been people who want a tattoo when they are younger, but when they get older they hate it. Don't be that person, and make sure it's something you for sure want with no regrets.

I wouldn't make it visible; I would actually have it put somewhere that would render it invisible. I just would think of it as a lucky charm of sorts when society makes me feel broken. My thought was that it would give me little bursts of confidence and pride when I needed it. I'm not going to do it any time soon of course, - I'm still young - but the thought crossed my mind and I figured that the idea may provoke some nice discussion on here.

ButtCountyDanceParty

For each of my tattoos, I've thought in terms of getting something that I thought represented a permanent and central part of my identity. If something representing asexuality fits that bill for you, I'd say you won't regret it, but you know yourself best.

I have heard of others getting the black ring tattooed on their right middle finger, to save the bother of always wearing the ring or the worry of losing it. Seems like a cool idea, and if it's a ring tattoo, then it's not immediately obvious that it's a tattoo, so you wouldn't necessarily face the same discrimination than if you had something that was visible and obviously a tattoo.

I think the temporary tattoo idea is great; it gives you a chance to look at it a few times and really decide if it's perfect or if you'd tweak it a bit before making it permanent :)

Think about whether you'll still love that tattoo when you're 40. Removing tattoos is extremely painful and expensive. Do a temporary one first.

Janus the Fox
I've heard about tattooing the ace flag somewhere, I don't know about getting your sexuality label tattooed to people... What if sexuality changes, that label then isn't easy to remove then.
  • 3 weeks later...

I think that getting a small. tasteful tattoo would be amazing to represent your sexuality. I wish I had the guts to do it! I am still questioning my asexuality but i think that in a couple years when I am more sure, I will probably try to gain the courage to do it!!! a gradient triangle would be sweet ^_^

I've thought about this too, it seems like a pretty cool idea and I've always wanted to get a tattoo that was meaningful to me... But, I'm still in a phase where I'm questioning my sexuality a lot. Plus, I'm not sure I want to be faced with questions that could come with getting a tattoo, it's too much of a hassle to explain stuff to people who most likely will judge or don't particularly matter to you anyway.

But if you're sure about your sexuality, are proud of it and are okay with being faced with questions that might arise and being faced with that aspect of you everyday, it's a pretty good idea. :)

I've been more than tempted to get a black ring tattooed on middle finger. Have a love for geometric tattoos, have got to get my "watch strap" one first though.

I would like to get an Asexual tattoo, just have to decide on the design but I have an idea.

As for the people who say that sexuality is fluid and is subjected to change (I agree by the way), tattoos are meant to reflect parts of your life, not necessarily the entirety of your life. IF it is something that is who you are now, and has been a part of you for a while then I encourage the tattoo even if your sexuality changes.

I wouldn't make it visible; I would actually have it put somewhere that would render it invisible. I just would think of it as a lucky charm of sorts when society makes me feel broken. My thought was that it would give me little bursts of confidence and pride when I needed it. I'm not going to do it any time soon of course, - I'm still young - but the thought crossed my mind and I figured that the idea may provoke some nice discussion on here.

That sounds sounds super amazing and now I want to get one hah! Some people are saying that you shouldn't do that to your body. I have a tattoo and have not been treated differently. I got my tattoo because I WANTED IT. Not because I wanted to show it off and stuff. If you really want a tattoo, then you'll get it. Otherwise wait until you really have a connection with the design and meaning of a tattoo and then get it. If you feel proud and emotionally connected to it then it won't matter years from now what it is. It's about the emotions you get from it. With that being said, yes I think I would totally get an Ace tattoo and wear it proudly because it makes me think about this community and about how amazing the people I have met through it are and changed my life.

You see all my tattooes are on my back, so I don't see them all the time.

Shoulder height, can easily be covered with any T-shirt, shows itself only with Tank tops.

All of them have a meaning, they represent a period of my life that was very important to me.

They also have a purpose, they are there to remind me of what happened to me, what made me this way, who I am.

I didn't ink myself to show off, it was a personal goal, go through the pain, do what I wanted to do.

It wasn't on a hype, neither were they trendy inkings.

And most importantly, they were drawn by me. This is obviously personal, not every one should draw something and ink it. Or tattoo only arts made by themselves, but for me it was symbolic in a way I don't feel like explaining.

I am fully aware of the life commitment I made, and all tats I have done were very thought out first.

Unfortunately the tattooist was an asshole and messed it a little, so it is not a beautiful tat (actually he messed just one of them, but it is my skin), anyway, I got my revenge on him in a beautiful way.

Ask yourself first, are you really wanting to go through the pain to regret it afterwards? Maybe for your whole life? Waste money, time and effort and not like it? And then maybe even waste more money/time/effort to remove and end up with a scar?

Don't ink yourself on a hype, think it thru'.

PS: All in all, I can't measure how insanely proud I am of my inkings.

You see all my tattooes are on my back, so I don't see them all the time.

No we can't see, jk I feel the same exact way about my tattoo and honestly getting a tattoo doesn't even hurt that bad otherwise so many people wouldn't get so many.

I think it can hold a special moment for people, if the meaning of the tattoo is not obvious/subtle then a relationship reaches the point when the thoughts, history or reasoning behind the tattoo is shared... It shows trust with that information. :)

Ok I have 2 one the size of a hand on my back of cherry blossom, with 6 petals coming off it.

I also have another which says God is love.. Both have meanings to a random wouldn't understand but they are mine!

Sexual orientation isn't always for life. Imagine if one day you wake up as a sexual person or you discover that you're actually grey. This is even more likely as almost all of you are people under 25. Don't do something irreversible for a thing that might change.

Think about whether you'll still love that tattoo when you're 40. Removing tattoos is extremely painful and expensive. Do a temporary one first.

And this.

I would rather recommend henna tattoos, they're temporary but they're very pretty.

^ I kinda agree with Rising Sun here, I feel like sexuality can change so even though I've thought about it myself, I would just stick to something a little less permanent, like wearing items with the flag's colors and such.

I wear a ring, that I can take off at any time. and i have inc on my back. I think permanently marking yourself with a symbol that isnt 100% socially acceptable yet in any area that can be seen is foolish. it can cut you out of jobs especially if it a homosexual symbol. has nothing to do if it is right or wrong it is just the painful truth.

Beyourownspotlight

To be fair, I've not read through everyone's replies, because my eyes were starting to go fuzzy, but I've got a few tattoos, and two of which are highly visible, so I thought I'd let you in on my experience with visible tattoos -- seeing as a lot of people think it influences jobs and stuff like that.

I have two tattoos on my right arm. Well, one on my wrist, one on my forearm. Those were the visible ones I was referring to.

On my wrist I simply have the word 'Remember' in a cursive font -- I do get questioned about it on a regular basis. And I'm honest about it. A lot of people seem to think it's a sign of faith. It's not. I got it just after I turned 18-- my first tattoo; in memory of a friend who committed suicide. I wanted something to spark conversation; because the more we talk about these taboo subjects like suicide, depression and self harm in a positive manner-- the better. They aren't dirty words that should be avoided, they are very real issues people struggle with, and making them taboo only makes the issues worse.

The one on my forearm is larger and it's on the inside of my forearm, just under the bend of my elbow. It's a band related tattoo. It's my favourite band's symbol from their last album, with the album name written in a banner across the bottom of it. The band went on hiatus, and I got it when they got back together and began making and releasing music together again. I also get questioned about that one. Again, I'm honest. I tell people what it is, and that music is important to me.

Against popular belief, my tattoos didn't hinder me getting a job --bear in mind I have no education in this country (I moved overseas as a child and have recently returned to my home country), I had one interview, then got the job. I never made any effort to hide my tattoos, I didn't shove them in my employers face, but I didn't wish to hide parts of myself. My uniform is short sleeves for infection control reasons, so my arms are always on show while I'm working. There's been zero issue with my tattoos.

Anyway, in regards to an ace themed tattoo, I've considered it before. I wouldn't recommend getting hand tattoos. Including fingers, for the simple reason a lot of artists refuse, and because they genuinely look awful after time. Take this from someone who has, and loves tattoos. They 'bleed out' or 'blow out' after time, and end up all blurry. I mean, it is your body in the end the choice is yours, but be prepared for a lot of artists to refuse you a hand tattoo. Especially if you have no other tattoos that are visible.

Perhaps because we call ourselves ace an A for ace, and if you're a romantic ace you could get a heart or something, or an ace of hearts playing card? Has that been suggested already? Or if you're a homoromantic ace get either the king or queen of hearts, with the ace of hearts, or biromantic could have all three cards?

But be prepared to be questioned on it. Be prepared for a range of reactions. And be prepared for people to judge you based on your tattoos (good and bad).

At the end of the day, it's your body.Tattoos don't have to have special meaning, so you could always get it, and if you change your mind about telling people the meaning, you could just say you liked the design. Or you could tattoo over it.