Your preferred end-of-the-world-apocalyptic-scenario

DexM

Your preferred end-of-the-world-apocalyptic-scenario.  

1. 1. Would you prefer

• Alien invasion
    • The dead rising/zombie outbreak
    • Pandemic
    • Godzilla-massive-hidden-beastie-wreaking-havoc
    • Internet idiocy. i.e. Piano playing cat who has some toast on it's head that often falls down a hill, elected as President of the Earth/Facebook becoming sentient and human elimination = "Like this"
    • You would prefer for things to remain relatively normal, thank you. It's Monday morning, Dex!
    • Something else

This poll is closed to new votes

How about everything gets magic and all our technology doesn't work anymore. And we have to figure out our magic while fighting dragons and evil unicorns...

Something else.

If apocalypse ever comes in my lifetime, I hope it to be by planetkiller meteorite ("Armageddon"-style, only without the scientifically bogus "sending Bruce Willis into space with a drill and a nuke" bit :lol: ), preferrably hitting mainland Europe. That'll be very quick, and comparatively painless... I'd hate being one of the survivors in an apocalyptic scenario, the first to die are always the lucky ones IMO. Seen it with the dinos, would work just as well with humans.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

BRAAAAAAAAAAAINS

If there were to actually BE a zombie apocalypse though, I'd most likely be one of those 'first wave' zombies... <_<

Something else.

If apocalypse ever comes in my lifetime, I hope it to be by planetkiller meteorite ("Armageddon"-style, only without the scientifically bogus "sending Bruce Willis into space with a drill and a nuke" bit :lol: ), preferrably hitting mainland Europe. That'll be very quick, and comparatively painless... I'd hate being one of the survivors in an apocalyptic scenario, the first to die are always the lucky ones IMO. Seen it with the dinos, would work just as well with humans.

I wanted a meteorite to be one of the main picks, with Europe a specific target, but I feared that it was one step too far. So I went for a more fun style of country smashing and used Godzilla, instead. :P

Yeah, I would hate to have to be scratching around for food, hair long and lank, beard long and unkempt. Civilisation in disarray, no policing, no justice, a fight to survive. No money, no gas, no healthcare, no government.

So pretty much England as it is now :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Aliens have already invaded. All politicians are aliens :excl:

PetitFourThoughts

I'd also like to go with Magnetic pole inversion, it's not a sure death scenario and I'd like to see the aurora before I die. :P

• 3 months later...

I'd go for the purposefully human made pandemic, a la White Plague or Oryx and Crake, but successful. I'd like to be the one to construct the pandemic. Fortunately for those of you who aren't ready to die yet, I'm not in molecular biology any more. I chose this because I have nothing against the rest of the biosphere, but I often think humankind is beyond hope.

Of the listed options, I'm torn between aliens, godzilla and internet cats.

But people have already listed some good "other" options. I like super volcano. Still waiting for Yellowstone to blow. It is due after all.

Zombies... but I'd be happy with anything that wiped out 99% of humans (sorry folks).

I like the idea of foraging and scavenging and stealing someone's car for all my crap to fit in (my car is highly inappropriate). And clearing zombies out of a book shop and living in there with my giant food hoard.

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth.”

I'm totally voting for the zombies.

Although, ideally the voluntary human extinction movement will win over and mankind will cease breeding out of sheer respect for the planet.

drjohnhwatson

I'm beyond terrified of zombie-stuff. I know people make fun of me quite a lot for it, but I think there could be a scenario that's something like that. Wherein you get it into your bloodstream from someone else and you're dead that's it.

I chose alien invasion because, hey, maybe I can make friends with them. Who knows?? I'm a pretty open-minded person, after-all.

:P.

I'm beyond terrified of zombie-stuff. I know people make fun of me quite a lot for it, but I think there could be a scenario that's something like that. Wherein you get it into your bloodstream from someone else and you're dead that's it.

I chose alien invasion because, hey, maybe I can make friends with them. Who knows?? I'm a pretty open-minded person, after-all.

Then it wouldn't exactly be an end of the world apocalyptic scenario, would it? ^_^

You can be the spokesperson for human kind ^_^

I don't think being afraid of zombie-stuff is anything to be made fun of. It's not going to happen, at least it shouldn't, but if it did then I would think it is something that quite a few people would be hiding behind the sofa over.

I couldn't help but think of the Millenium. We had the doom mongers banging on about the computers getting all broken and stuff, but it was combined with New Years Eve/Day, the most horrific of 48 hours, and it made me think of one long NYE, being as bad as anything listed above :D

• 1 month later...

Something else.

How about natural disaster? Or several?

Heckin Chonkosaurus

If we are talking total earth destruction, then a huge freakin' asteroid would be good.

I do read an awful lot of post-apoc fiction (and am slightly bored by the undead thing - even with the amount of really well-written stuff available) but my fave scenario has always been nuclear destruction. I think it's because my formative years were late 70's to early 80's when WWIII seemed like a possible, nay probable event. The sheer amount of stuff on tv and radio around then was bound to affect me, I suppose. An interesting twist on the same theme is the effect of nuclear devices at high altitude as EMP burst weapons, a really nasty way of causing civilisation to fail with possibly the greatest toll on humanity in the short to medium term as vast technological empires crumble slowly into anarchy - great stuff!!

ranting ferret

i was a little tempted to mark zombies. but really, i just have more fun imagining weird possibilities with a zombpocalypse than to actually be in one. i mean, consider the smell if nothing else.

It couldn't possibly be aliens because the Doctor would show up and save us. Duh.

let's hope it's not a fixed point in time.

for "other" we evolve to something that's not modern humans?

Going for Solar Flares knocking out all satellites and electrical wires!

Something else.

How about natural disaster? Or several?

I actually think that this is very, very possible. Our little planet isn't in the best of health and I think it's already hinting at something along these lines.

@ranting ferret- :P I really giggled at the smell comment. It's something I'd never thought about.

I do think a Romerozomapocalypse would be best, as opposed to a Boylezomapoc.

Being a big astronomy fan, I'd like us to get absolutely smashed by a humongous meteorite.

Least Favorite would be a pandemic, because that would absolutely suck.

I'm really hoping it isn't a zombie apocalypse, because I definitely wouldn't survive.

Hell, my friends have even created a zombie apocalypse plan and they've unanimously agreed that they'd take me with them specifically to use me as bait OTL

Lolmageddon: The war between Ceiling Cat and Basement Cat inevitably escapes the confines of the internet. Lolcat memes run rampant in the streets without mercy. Grammar enthusiasts are the first to die.

• 1 month later...

This entire topic is tempting fate. That said, I prefer the idea of a plague just wiping us all out. Most of us, anyway.

Aliens.

Heck yeah, aliens.

fujipaisley

Couldn't decide between aliens and Godzilla so Reptoids. Hidden alien society of reptilian humanoid things, pretty much the best of both worlds :D

zombie apocalypse, then i can be left alone and shoot anyone who tries to get close.

I'd like to see the planet get back at humans for destroying it. Y'know, some sort of massive worldwide environmental disaster that eradicated all of us and at the same time, was the catalyst for some sort of planetary renewal process. Earth would survive and come back to life again; we would not.

Illogical, yes... but lovely to think about.

I truly believe that this is more likely to happen than anything else, and that it is quite a high "likely". Give Earth back to the animals.

@fujipaisley - Wouldn't it be great if there were lizard-y creatures and big godzilla's living under the sea/ground. There might be the odd bit of destruction, but it would certainly get all of those naughty 70's t.v. presenters off the news.

• 2 weeks later...
stonehengegirl

Yellowstone Super Volcano!

I think if an apocalypse were to happen, I would like it to come from a Dragon Ball-styled spirit bomb. One person gets so angry at the world that all of the hatred and fear in the world gets channeled into one giant explosion/wave that wipes out all of humanity.

Archived