I need help finding offline ACE educational materials.

lilykep

Hi everybody! I am not asexual, but my mom thinks she is. Here is what happened; I was at mom's house, and I was attempting to explain my pansexuality to her. In the process of my explanation mom said "I never really understood that", and I was like "Understood what? Being sexually attracted to everyone?" (I know this isn't the most accurate definition of PAN, but I was simplifying), and mom responded with "Being sexually attracted to anyone."
I have ACE friends that use that exact phrase to describe themselves, so I asked her if she had always felt this way, and she said that she had. She said she could have sex, but she never really wanted sex. She had absolutely no desire for sex, and she was afraid that maybe something was wrong with her. I asked her if she had considered that maybe she was Asexual. I explained to her the bare bones of Asexuality, and told her about this community. As soon as I said, "Mom you're not alone, other people feel like that too." She started to sob, lots of hugs later I ended up promising that I would put together some information for her.

I gave her this website, but she's not very tech savvy at all. She doesn't even have a Facebook, so I'm afraid she won't get on unless I'm with her. What I really need are (inexpensive) books or printouts that I can give her that will explain things better than I can. Also if there are any family resources for me to look at I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Welcome, and that's awesome that your mom knows of asexuality, and doesn't feel alone! There are some resources that can be printed out: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/72195-links-and-resources-masterpost/

Under the "Works about asexuality" heading is (A)sexual, a documentary about asexuality, that has interviewed many asexual people and their experiences. It's a documentary that has introduced many people to asexuality, including many members of this forum. Heads up though; the ending is kind of depressing, and can give off the wrong ideas. That's talked about, with additional context here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/topic/93262-i-regret-my-decision-to-watch-asexuality-a-documentary/page-2

I just found and watched (A)sexual, and WOW it was depressing. I did recommend it to mom with the HUGE warning. I will look at those books on the list and see if I can find them. Thank you.

Archived