Humans and Dolphins

wrendering

I once watched something on Animal Planet or the Discovery Channel that said something like "besides humans, dolphins are the only mammals that have sex for fun".

So, I've decided. I am no unicorn, but a narwhal! Mystical, definitely exists, and sometimes compared to a creature that has sex cause they think it's fun (still pretty different though; and pretty awesome).

Pretty sure that was debunked with the bonobo, among probably other things.

*sigh* metaphors can only go so far, I suppose. I still prefer being a creature that exists, cause we definitely do.

I read on another thread that there are actually quite a lot of species who have sex for reasons other the reproduction... never bothered to research the subject for myself though so don't know how true that is!

Quintus Crinis

I have heard that suggestion before - however I think it's been largely dis-credited for a number of reasons.

he two most clear I can think of is the example of Bonobos (as mentioned above) and the fact that so many animals display bisexual (and in some homosexual) tendencies which can't really be explained as only used for reproduction.

Pretty sure that was debunked with the bonobo, among probably other things.

It's actually pretty hard to discuss "sex for fun" in other species without running neurological scans on them during the act... With bonobos in particular, just because they're having LOTS of sex and sexual contact doesn't mean we can say it's "for fun" since it also serves as important societal bonding. You could argue that their sexual activity is the equivalent of a handshake ("yes, we are still good friends and share social ties, feel free to call on me as an ally if you need me"), rather than "woot! orgy time!"

I wonder if the same can be said of dolphins? I haven't studied dolphin societies at all... and is it all dolphin species or just certain pods? Interesting....

I'll admit that my research was minimal at best, I just never identified with the unicorn, and thought I'd find an animal that suited me better... sorry it caused an actual discussion ^_^ I have no idea what the real answer is haha

SorryNotSorry

When you think about it, any creature whose brain is wired to feel intense pleasure from having sex, will have an evolutionary leg up on those whose brains are wired to think of having sex as a chore.

Humans are living proof this CAN work a little too well. :rolleyes:

Marshmallow Tree

Did you know that tigers 'bow' after a fight and after mating? It's a way of saying that there's no amniosity between them. I found that kinda cool.

Oh and another random fact: scientists have theorised that female animals would orgasm more if the males could last long enough ;)

With bonobos in particular, just because they're having LOTS of sex and sexual contact doesn't mean we can say it's "for fun" since it also serves as important societal bonding.

To me, if it's not for reproduction, it's "for fun".

I'll admit that my research was minimal at best, I just never identified with the unicorn, and thought I'd find an animal that suited me better... sorry it caused an actual discussion ^_^ I have no idea what the real answer is haha

For the record, I love your narwhal analogy. Really, any excuse to bring a narwhal into the conversation is a win.

Squirrel Combat

I read that Baboons have a ton of sex, too.

As far as I know rape has also been observed in some species of animal, so yes, in that regard it seems that some animals do have sexual intercourse for reasons other than purely reproductive. But the main obstacle for animals when it comes to having sex at random times for random reasons is that all animals (humans are the lone exception) must abide by seasonal cues and the changes they bring about (females of the species). In other words, a female (horse, dog, monkey, bird, etc - insert the name of pretty much any animal) will have absolutely no interest in having sex when she isn't in "heat" or in "season", and in some cases the female isn't even physically capable of having sex. And of course, the only time males of the species will be interested is if the female is exuding pheromones or strongly signalling in some other manner that she is ready to breed. So it isn't always easy to apply human "rules" to the rest of the animal kingdom when it comes to sex.

I have no idea if bonobos and dolphins have sex (meaning the females, since males of the species, like humans, are always "ready to go" whenever a suitable female is available) when females are not in season. If they do, then that would put them in a more human-like situation for sure. However, unlike humans, the females still cannot get pregnant unless the female is in estrous. Whereas, in humans, women can get pregnant at pretty much any time in the monthly cycle, though it is of course more likely during ovulation.

Archived