Stonewall - UK equality foundation

Gonzo79

Hi folks,

not sure if this is the right place to post this so please delete/move if it isn't.

I work in Bournemouth in the UK and we recently had a questionnaire sent to us from Stonewall about how we felt equality was dealt with within the workplace.

There were tick boxes for gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual and 'other' I really don't want to be just an 'other' so I put a note on there saying about how asexuality is always omitted from these options and about how so little is known about it by my co workers that I really do not feel comfortable being myself at work - I frequently have to pretend to 'fancy' someone just to gain inclusion into conversations.

I never really thought about it as being a problem before but since I've joined AVEN I started to question this, and I started to feel that yes actually it is a little unfair that in order to fit in I basically have to lie about myself.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here knows about Stonewall and has any suggestions about other ways to get more workplace representation and can recommend any other questionnaires for me to fill in.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing any suggestions...well, not ANY suggestions (anything involving an ice bucket can go take a flying leap, brr!), any relevant suggestions I mean.

Cheerio,

Amber :)

I think InterPride is who we should discuss with regarding Asexuality inclusion.

Quintus Crinis

I agree with the point about needing a tick box for "asexual" on these sorts of questionnaires. However I'm slightly wary of stonewall as a equality group because it has had some issues with encouraging discrimination against the "BT" groups in LGBT community - let alone expanding to other groups.

Back to the the issue of the tick-boxes and being yourself at work - I've always ticked "prefer not to say/unsure" or "bisexual" if there isn't an other box, though agree that it should be possible to offer the option of "asexual". I've tried to avoid conversations of a sexual nature although also agree that it can be frustrating when people try to assign certain feelings to you or expect you to understand their conversations.

yeah I mean given the choice, and my own preferences I would rather talk about anything other than sex/sexuality at work...or most places to be fair, but I am a little tired of hiding who I am and 'preferring not to say' I'm quite happy to say Hey I'm A! But I've nowhere to say it lol :)

Just a tick box with :cake: would do!

Archived