What is the difference between and squish and a crush?

cethmistmyk

So I've been tossing around the idea that I'm aromantic (or aro spectrum) and this has become vastly more important as a friend and I are going "out for coffee" tomorrow, and I'd like to be as up front with him as possible (yet not crush his heart) but if I don't know myself, how can I tell him?

Anyway, I was wondering what you feel when you have a squish on someone, vs what you feel when you have a crush.

Also, wtf is romantic? A lot of my friends turn into completely different people around their SO's and I just DON'T want to be that person, I'm me, why would I need to get all soft and love-y with my SO? I enjoy cuddling with people and holding pinkys and giving them emotional support and advice, but if you're my friend and we are comfortable with each other I WILL cuddle you. But I KNOW that isn't romantic, or I feel romantic feelings for many of my friends (which I doubt).

The general distinction that I've heard is that a "crush" implies sexual desire, whereas a "squish" is platonic in nature.

As for your second question, I have no idea. Lemme know i you figure it out, I've been wondering for a long time.

Squish is a strong desire to be close friends with another. From what I understand, this may or may not involve cuddling and other sensual contact. (I'm asensual, so someone else may be better qualified to talk about it)

A crush is a desire for a romantic relationship with someone, involving all the usual romantic stuff. Dates, kissing, and so on. (Also, aromantic, so I am not sure the full list of romantic activities, and what one person may consider romantic, another may consider sensual, and a third may think is sexual, so it may vary some from person to person)

And I suppose lust would cover the strong desire for a sexual relationship. Among the general population, there is a strong link between romantic and sexual activity, so, most people will associate romance with sexual activity as well. So a crush is often seen as desiring sexual activity as well, which may not actually be the case. (I am just talking perceptions here, and possible misunderstandings that may arise if you are talking to people outside of the ace community.)

Archived