Can libido exist without sexual pleasure?

Xrenity

From AVENwiki: http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sex_drive

A libido (sex drive) is a desire to feel sexual pleasure.

But what if you don't experience pleasure from sex or masturbation, yet still feel the physical need to do it? What if that physical need happens a lot, and your body keeps bothering you to do it and get it over with? How can a high libido/sex drive/masturbation urge exist in the absence of pleasure?

Why is "having an orgasm" equated with "feeling sexual pleasure?" Orgasms without pleasure are a thing. So someone who has no desire to feel sexual pleasure, because they don't know what sexual pleasure even is or feels like in the first place, yet has the desire to have orgasms (to remove a bad-feeling, not to experience a good-feeling, the way people don't poo because pooing feels good, but because needing to poo feels bad.) Do they lack a libido? Does this make them nonlibidoist but with a frequent, pressing urge to orgasm? Can one even be nonlibidoist and have a frequent, pressing urge to orgasm?

If this isn't technically libido, then what is it?

Tl;dr I definitely exist, that's for sure, but what's with this concept I DON'T GET IT

Yeah, I agree that's kinda weird definition, since "pleasure" is subjective and/or not always experienced, the same way sex isn't always pleasurable. I think a better definition might be "a desire of sexual release" or something.

WhenSummersGone

I believe it can exist without pleasure. There have been times where I masturbate for sexual release even though I'm not in the mood to do it. I disagree with that definition.

Just did a google search:

sex drive
noun
noun: sex drive; plural noun: sex drives
a person's urge to seek satisfaction of their sexual needs.
I think that's a much better definition than the one AVEN provides, assuming that sex drive the same thing as libido. Where did they even get that definition from? I think "sexual satisfacton" explains it much better than seeking "sexual pleasure", as pleasure might not be the main motivation.
Sage Raven Domino

It can't be a good definition, as asexuals don't have the need for partnered sex in the first place. I'd replace 'sexual needs' by 'needs of their reproductive system' (assuming that urination isn't included into the function of this system despite using the same canals).

And a libido can surely exist without pleasure, can be just a desire to release tension or even clean the pipes comfortably (e.g. prevent men's pants from getting wet), as said above, though I'm not sure if the latter qualifies as a libido (I'd say, in this case the libido is an increase in the volume of the liquid, which creates the need to clean the pipes more often).

It can't be a good definition, as asexuals don't have the need for partnered sex in the first place. I'd replace 'sexual needs' by 'needs of their reproductive system' (assuming that urination isn't included into the function of this system despite using the same canals).

The definition doesn't say anything about partnered sex - I would say that wanting partnered sex is "sexual desire", though that's up to debate. "Sexual needs" is the same as "needs of their reproductive system", only more succinct.

Sage Raven Domino

I interpret 'sexual needs' the same way, but I'm afraid that people outside the community might mistake them for the need for specifically partnered sex; I struggle to come up with a wording that encompasses both it and masturbation; maybe just 'sexual or masturbatory needs', though it sounds a bit excessive.

I only do it because it sucks having wet dreams for no reason ruining your night. There is no pleasure from masterbation at all, it's the same as going to the bathroom for me. So yeah sometimes you have to do it just to get it out of the syatem as crappy as it is.

it's a bodily function that's seperate from sexual orientation that I think is designed to make humans procreate. If you lack libido you don't feel this urge. If people didn't feel sex drive, they wouldn't have sex or have children. In that sense it's not about pleasure, though the majority of people do (luckily) find it to be a pleasurable experience, or else the human race would've probably died out pretty quickly.

Archived