For 20-somethings getting their feet off the ground

binary suns

FromHereToBeyond

Hello all, Rain here

Only recently I turned 22 and got my driver's permit which is "late" to get this milestone. I do not have a good history with school as I am a drop out and the thought of going back for more education makes me stressed even though I know it could possibly help me. Honestly I hated school and still hate it now. Still live with my parents cause no money and no job (yet.) I spent a half decade and counting doing nothing with my life besides being sad (still kinda sad tbh but I feel a bit better now.) Over a year ago now I got sick and that spiraled and made me really really ill and it's a surprise that my body isn't too banged up from that whole ordeal. Still I do have some minor issues from that. It sucked lol. Family wasn't a help only stressed me out more. During that time I did discover that I'm most definitely aspec. Tbh I was aspec this entire time just never realized it. Fast forward to now and I'm more or less confidently calling myself aroace since it feels right to me. So yeah, a little speedrun of the past 3ish? years of my life (time confuses me lol.)

Well that was kinda depressing so here's some gooder things: I feel ok for right now, I'm in therapy (only once a month but hey it what it is,) practicing driving (still kinda scary tbh,) started collecting, finally shaved my head and has been rocking a buzz cut since, excited to see the Barbie movie this summer, excited to see the strongman comp this month (sad I couldn't go but there's next time I guess,) and yeah.

• Like 4
TheAsexyOne
52 minutes ago, FromHereToBeyond said:

Hello all, Rain here

Only recently I turned 22 and got my driver's permit which is "late" to get this milestone. I do not have a good history with school as I am a drop out and the thought of going back for more education makes me stressed even though I know it could possibly help me. Honestly I hated school and still hate it now. Still live with my parents cause no money and no job (yet.) I spent a half decade and counting doing nothing with my life besides being sad (still kinda sad tbh but I feel a bit better now.) Over a year ago now I got sick and that spiraled and made me really really ill and it's a surprise that my body isn't too banged up from that whole ordeal. Still I do have some minor issues from that. It sucked lol. Family wasn't a help only stressed me out more. During that time I did discover that I'm most definitely aspec. Tbh I was aspec this entire time just never realized it. Fast forward to now and I'm more or less confidently calling myself aroace since it feels right to me. So yeah, a little speedrun of the past 3ish? years of my life (time confuses me lol.)

Well that was kinda depressing so here's some gooder things: I feel ok for right now, I'm in therapy (only once a month but hey it what it is,) practicing driving (still kinda scary tbh,) started collecting, finally shaved my head and has been rocking a buzz cut since, excited to see the Barbie movie this summer, excited to see the strongman comp this month (sad I couldn't go but there's next time I guess,) and yeah.

Hi!

I really identify with all this…a bit older than you, but I feel my life has been a bunch of doing nothing. I still live with family as well, and can’t drive; don’t even have a permit. If you ever want to talk, we can!

• Like 1
FromHereToBeyond
39 minutes ago, TheAuthorNextDoor said:

Hi!

I really identify with all this…a bit older than you, but I feel my life has been a bunch of doing nothing. I still live with family as well, and can’t drive; don’t even have a permit. If you ever want to talk, we can!

That sounds cool. Idk how to use the messaging system here tho.

Grey-Ace Ventura
1 hour ago, FromHereToBeyond said:

excited to see the Barbie movie this summer

I really really related to most of your post, as I'm almost 21 and the last 3 years of my life went similar to what you described. I also dropped out of school, have been ill for several years, don't have a job yet, and I still live with my mom. But you're an adult who watches Barbie movies?? I am too 😂 I especially love to watch the old ones, even if I can find many flaws in them, compared to when I watched them mindlessly as a kid.

30 minutes ago, FromHereToBeyond said:

Idk how to use the messaging system here tho.

You have to go to the top of the page and click the messages icon, and enter the username of whoever you want to message.

FromHereToBeyond
11 minutes ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

I really really related to most of your post, as I'm almost 21 and the last 3 years of my life went similar to what you described. I also dropped out of school, have been ill for several years, don't have a job yet, and I still live with my mom. But you're an adult who watches Barbie movies?? I am too 😂 I especially love to watch the old ones, even if I can find many flaws in them, compared to when I watched them mindlessly as a kid.

You have to go to the top of the page and click the messages icon, and enter the username of whoever you want to message.

I actually haven't watched many of the olds ones (if I did I can't really remember them lol) but yeah all the Barbie movies are on my to watch list plus Life in the Dream House. Also I actually collect Barbie dolls too! Well I collect other dolls and stuffed animals too.

Oh, thanks!

• Like 1
Grey-Ace Ventura

@FromHereToBeyond I see, well if you're interested in watching the old ones like Princess Charm School and Fairy Secret you can actually find a lot of them on youtube for free. The Life In the Dreamhouse show is the best of them all imo lol. And it's super cool you're a toy collector! I've had some collectible dolls before but I wouldn't say I was ever a collector, per se, more that I've just always really liked dolls lol. If you ever want to chat, feel free to message me :)

FromHereToBeyond
1 hour ago, Grey-Ace Ventura said:

@FromHereToBeyond I see, well if you're interested in watching the old ones like Princess Charm School and Fairy Secret you can actually find a lot of them on youtube for free. The Life In the Dreamhouse show is the best of them all imo lol. And it's super cool you're a toy collector! I've had some collectible dolls before but I wouldn't say I was ever a collector, per se, more that I've just always really liked dolls lol. If you ever want to chat, feel free to message me :)

Nice, are the youtube ones in high quality? Thanks, I haven't been collecting long, only a little over a year and so far it's fun.

Likewise I'm always opened to chatting

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else hitting the "quarter-life crisis" ... ?

I feel like my job has given me experience in something pretty niche and I'm not sure what to make of it, like the other day I was troubleshooting something for someone and they were like "do you think it's x" and I just knew the answer was no, because the symptoms didn't match, and it just weirds me out that I have that deeply specific knowledge that wasn't part of my education or even my training for this job and was something I learned purely through experiences like this one that came up organically

And I know that at some point I'm going to want to bail on this life and do a total U-turn and do something else, which is kind of how I got here in the first place, but seriously, my life is so weird. 

• Like 3
dusktodawn
On 4/16/2023 at 4:39 PM, FromHereToBeyond said:

Snip

Hey Rain! Don't worry- I'm turning 22 in July and I still have to study for my permit before I can even begin to practice drive. Not everyone has to learn to drive at the same time, especially those of us who spent a lot of time at home during the pandemic (and lived walking distance from their jobs in my case since last year). Also spent some time being sick, although that was more when I was a teen and it didn't last. Here if you ever need a friend! 😎

• Like 2
FromHereToBeyond
3 hours ago, dusktodawn said:

Hey Rain! Don't worry- I'm turning 22 in July and I still have to study for my permit before I can even begin to practice drive. Not everyone has to learn to drive at the same time, especially those of us who spent a lot of time at home during the pandemic (and lived walking distance from their jobs in my case since last year). Also spent some time being sick, although that was more when I was a teen and it didn't last. Here if you ever need a friend! 😎

Yeah I know, it's just my dad keeps pressuring to get my license and it sucks. Likewise, always looking for new friends. Hmu if you wanna chat.

• 5 months later...

Welp... hi? I just turned 20 a few days ago and since that officially means I have to be out of the Teen Corner (which is sad, and they're being really nice about it but I mean I am lowkey glad I'm out of those heinous years) I wanted to see if there was a forum for the young adults, and got redirected here.

Is anyone still around? How are y'alls lives going? Does anyone even want to use this thread? 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Hurta said:

Is anyone still around? How are y'alls lives going? Does anyone even want to use this thread? 

I still follow this thread, but it's not very active. I guess there's not much to say about being twenty something?

I'm hitting the late twenties now, which I'm enjoying much more than the earlier ones. There's less pressure to be anything. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Cranston said:

There's less pressure to be anything.

That makes sense. Yeah, I don't feel much different than I did at 19, but still... it's a little different.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2023 at 10:14 PM, Hurta said:

Hi! 25 here. Still studying :(

I'll be done in 2 years though and then I'll be a Dr. for the rest of my life, so it'll at least pay off (mentally, physically, spiritually, financially, and socially). As @Cranston said, I'm also feeling less pressure to be anything, though I think that has to do with everyone around me already knowing what I'm doing. Still though, the people important to me have expressed that if I really can't handle my schooling anymore, they'd fully support me if I chose to drop out and do something else. It really doesn't matter what I'm doing as long as I'm doing something. Having that kind of support is a nice feeling, even though I won't follow through with dropping out. I think about it daily, but reminding myself that this is temporary gets me through. Kinda hard though when my inner-circle friends all have "big-boy" and "big-girl" jobs and are moving out, and I'm still fully dependent on my parents. It's bittersweet, really. I'm genuinely happy and excited for them all, especially since a lot of them didn't have the best relationships with their parents and moving out has done wonders for their mental health. It can be frustrating too though when I focus on the fact that I'm not there yet. I suppose comparison is the enemy of contentment, so I just gotta push forward and accept that I will get there in my own time.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, @BeADreamer. Are you doing a PhD, or you mean doctor as in medicine? Because I'm a med student and it would be so exciting to meet another ace who is.

• Like 1
On 11/6/2023 at 6:06 PM, Hurta said:

Thanks for sharing, @BeADreamer. Are you doing a PhD, or you mean doctor as in medicine? Because I'm a med student and it would be so exciting to meet another ace who is.

Alternative medicine. I'm studying to be a chiropractor (I'll have a D.C. degree when I graduate). But the education we receive is analogous to medical school. I'm about to take my first board exam (out of four) in a few months and I'm super nervous about it. How far along are you in med school?

• Like 1
19 hours ago, BeADreamer said:

Alternative medicine. I'm studying to be a chiropractor (I'll have a D.C. degree when I graduate). But the education we receive is analogous to medical school. I'm about to take my first board exam (out of four) in a few months and I'm super nervous about it. How far along are you in med school?

Oh my that's so cool! I always liked alternative medicine, I've tried a bit of it myself and I've always wanted to go to a chiropractor jaja. You also have to take boards? Good luck with that!

I just finished the first half of my third year -where I'm from, it's a six-year career, so I'm almost halfway there!

On 11/14/2023 at 10:44 AM, Hurta said:

Oh my that's so cool! I always liked alternative medicine, I've tried a bit of it myself and I've always wanted to go to a chiropractor jaja. You also have to take boards? Good luck with that!

I just finished the first half of my third year -where I'm from, it's a six-year career, so I'm almost halfway there!

That’s great! Yeah, on top of an undergraduate degree, it’s 3.5 years to get through chiropractic school. (So 7.5 years total - or 5 years total if you go the accelerated track straight out of high school.) I’m also just about halfway there. And yes, there are boards. The first part is basic sciences, and the fourth part is clinical application. I’m really not sure what parts 2 and 3 are - maybe more clinical application? I’ll figure that out when I need to take them. But to get licensed we need to pass boards and be trained in radiology, diagnosis, and physical exam screening in addition to how to adjust. Just so if we have patients who come to us outside our scope of practice, we know the appropriate place to send them so they can get help for it. Chiropractors catch a lot of health issues because of how often patients come in (usually about once a week).

Thank you!

Good luck with the rest of the program! I’m sure it’s definitely not easy. 

Where are you from? What interests you about alternative medicine?

On 11/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, BeADreamer said:

That’s great! Yeah, on top of an undergraduate degree, it’s 3.5 years to get through chiropractic school. (So 7.5 years total - or 5 years total if you go the accelerated track straight out of high school.) I’m also just about halfway there. And yes, there are boards. The first part is basic sciences, and the fourth part is clinical application. I’m really not sure what parts 2 and 3 are - maybe more clinical application? I’ll figure that out when I need to take them. But to get licensed we need to pass boards and be trained in radiology, diagnosis, and physical exam screening in addition to how to adjust. Just so if we have patients who come to us outside our scope of practice, we know the appropriate place to send them so they can get help for it. Chiropractors catch a lot of health issues because of how often patients come in (usually about once a week).

Thank you!

Good luck with the rest of the program! I’m sure it’s definitely not easy. 

Where are you from? What interests you about alternative medicine?

Oh my, that's such a long time! The testing and qualifications make sense though, I can't even imagine the amount of things you guys must encounter on a daily basis. I hope your exams go well too, and thanks for your nice wishes!

I don't feel comfortable sharing my exact country, but I'm on South America! And what interests me most about alternative medicine is the way they have of seeing disease -as an energy disbalance, or a disalignment of some sort, things like that.

• 2 months later...

Howdy. I'm trying to think of a good online name to use here, but for now I'll settle for Red.

I'm mid-twenties and have identified as ace for a long time. Lately I've been kinda floundering if I may be grey romantic too, so I came here. ^_^

I'm fresh out of a mixed allo/ace relationship and that was really really hard, but I'm doing much better now.

...and yes, I like resident evil. Lol

• Like 2

Heyyy, welcome! I’m only early twenties so still figuring things out. Nice you found this place :))

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
soong_type_freak

welp i pop up to say hello.

i turn 22 y.o. this year and the realization makes me feel old lol.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/7/2024 at 1:31 PM, soong_type_freak said:

welp i pop up to say hello.

i turn 22 y.o. this year and the realization makes me feel old lol.

Lol hi! You're just a year older than me, and if I'm young then you're young too :))

But yeah I get what you mean.

• Like 1