Dirty jokes?

When ever my friends say dirty jokes or make sexual references, I never understand. They always just say that I'm too innocent. I feel like it's because I never really think about sex, so my mind just never goes there. Is this an ace thing or just me?

It's not an Ace thing necessarily, nor is it just you. A lot of asexuals get sexual jokes, or even make them; some sexuals don't get sexual jokes (some don't appear to get any jokes at all). Not getting sexual jokes is probably more prevalent among the Ace community than among the rest of society though.

I've heard more people say that they don't understand them, so at least you're not alone :P

I usually understand what people mean but I don't understand why they are considered funny. To me they are very dull.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

I never used to get them, then I started hanging around really dirty friends.

Now I can make dirty jokes till the cows come home. Still don't find them as funny as my friends do though. :huh:

I never used to get them, then I started hanging around really dirty friends.

Now I can make dirty jokes till the cows come home. Still don't find them as funny as my friends do though. :huh:

Same here. When I make them, it is mostly for the sake of hitting the ball back into their court. Or creeping them out too much to continue.

Unless its pretty obvious, I usually don't get it. Sometimes I even have somebody else explain it to me, and it still isn't funny then.

A nun and a priest are walking through the desert...Oh! Oops! Sorry...thought this a different kind of thread... :redface:

Just as many sexuals don't get them as asexuals. While I don't find them funny, I do tell a good joke, and people seem to appreciate it. Only in the right place, at the right time, of course.

Is this an ace thing or just me?

There are so many differences among us that maybe there is no such thing as an ace thing, except that we either don't experience sexual attraction at all or we rarely do.

i get them. unfortunately. wish i didn't though because they just make me feel totes awkward as i try to figure out if i should pretend to laugh or not. :huh:

Totally Schwuaat?

Recently I had this gig with a municipal concert band (didn't really pay much), and an older guy in the percussion section made it a point to rattle off as many dirty jokes as he could in the time between our set break. I was laughing my ass off, not because the jokes were funny, but because of the fact he felt the need to tell them. I found the bizarre nature of it funnier than the jokes, which were particularly crewed.

I don't understand a lot of them and the ones I do understand I may laugh at. But not really because I find them funny, more because they seem awkward.

I have a very sexual mind in the sense that I have understood/made/enjoyed sexual and pathetically immature jokes since grade six. I still love making dirty jokes, though often they're a lot more subtle than they are vulgar, which may be why I enjoy them. I don't think it has anything to do with being asexual, although some people think it does (not understanding, I mean.)

This is just a theory, but perhaps the reason why so many people consider dirty jokes to be funny is because they're often gross and light-hearted rather than trying to be sexy. They're often moment-of jokes that wouldn't be funny when retold, are hilarious because you could never imagine the spoken person doing such a thing (like making a naughty joke about gramma), or are so ridiculous and out there that it's funny.

So I think that 1) Your ability to make the connection and understand dirty jokes could be because your mind simply does not think in that matter 2) Whether or not find the joke humorous truly depends on your sense of humour, not your sexual orientation

Of course, that's just what I think :)

My mom basically has the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy, so dirty jokes are something I grew up with and understand. Some make me uncomfortable, some make me laugh. It's different for everyone!

One of the main reasons my friends were surprised when I told them I was ace was because I am known for making a ton of sexual jokes.

I think it depends on the person, like some people don't understand sarcasm, or don't find puns funny.

ThePaperRose

It really depends on the joke for me. Some of them I find hilarious, and others I find over-the-top and/or gross.

My physics teacher the other day made a list of reasons why Physics is better than sex:

1) If you get tired, you can take a break and come back later

2) You don't have to put your drink down to do it

3) If you don't know what you're doing, you can ask your roommate for help

I found these hilarious because they're all so true :lol:

Totally depends on the person, not the orientation. I get the jokes; generally I don't find them too funny because they are stupid, but I get them. One of the guys on my team at work gets very surprised when I get the jokes and comment back while the other girl on our team is look clueless. It's fun. And the guy knows I'm ace, which makes him more surprised. I love screwing with people's stereotypes.

Now cheesy pick up lines. Definitely something I find amusing and can banter back and forth with all day long.

It just depends. Like I understand most dirty jokes (I blame my older brothers for exposing me to them my whole life lol), and I understand most references...but sometimes it just gets tiring. I love comedies, but I get really exhausted and annoyed when it seems 80% of the humor is sexual. I may "get" it, but it isn't always funny.

I have a really easy time making dirty sexual jokes in reference to someone else... and laughing at them is even easier. I've had someone tell me I might be the biggest lady perv they know. But when I'm the butt of the joke, those snappy comebacks just die on my lips. It's almost like being ace is the only thing about myself that I can't lie about easily. Is that weird?