Aces on birth control?

Queen of Aces

Queen of Aces

Alright, so I was prescribed low strength birth control for abnormal periods by my doctor. I've heard that birth control can increase your hormone levels, and I'm scared that I'll start experiencing sexual attraction with them. I'm very sex repulsed, and I don't even want to think about that happening. Any tips on dealing with that problem if it arises???

Naturally, meds affect everyone differently, but I always had really, really painful and heavy periods so I finally saw a doc a few years ago, and he put me on bc pills to help, and they didn't change my sexual urges/feelings at all. It certainly helped with the periods though! But yeah, it didn't affect me sexually...so it might not change anything for you either! If anything, I think I read that birth control lessens libido, not increases. (Let's hope that's the case for you!)

I wish you the best! : )

I had the same experience as kelico. I started taking birth control for cramping and heavy bleeding and it deffintely helped with those things but it hasn't caused me to become sexually attracted to anyone. Ifthat ever happened I would probably freak out and switch to a different pill. Good Luck!!!

low strength birth control

I'm no girl, but my guess is you probably don't need to be worried.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who's actually gotten testosterone shots without being affected at all, so may wanna take that with a grain of salt.

I've been on bc since I was 16. It is even the strong stuff, and has not made me any less repulsed and hasn't made me any more sexual. I'm even on progesterone and testosterone now because my levels are naturally too low, and nothing has changed! I was scared too that I might suddenly become sexual or interested in it, but nope XD

I started on bc when I was 16 for my skin, and it made no difference to either my libido or lack sexual interest in others. I came off the pill about 6 months ago, and again it made no difference. None of my friends who have been on various types of bc have ever mentioned any difference (and we do talk about these things, so I think they would have).

I used to take those - it didn't change my feelings towards people, but it did help level out my periods.

I don't take them anymore because eventually my body sorted itself out, thank god. I don't think asexuality has much to do with hormones... only in an odd few cases.

I have been on various types of birth control for health reasons since I was 15 (now 27) and I can honestly say that neither birth control pills, nor my implant, have affected my sex drive.

HOWEVER, as others have said, each drug affects different people in different ways.

Mycroft is Yourcroft

They can affect your libido, normally they can make your sexdrive go down, not up. But anything can happen I guess. It will not affect your sexual orientation.

^^ This :cake:

EDIT:: I'm on birth control at the moment, since I wasn't bothered to get it removed after breaking up with my ex a year ago, although I think I will soon. It didn't change my libido or orientation in any way or at any point.

TheStarrySkai

I'm on birth control due to abnormal periods. I haven't seen any change on how I feel. Although side affects change depending on the person.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who's actually gotten testosterone shots without being affected at all, so may wanna take that with a grain of salt.

I'm male and was on testosterone cream for a while, and it increased my libido in terms of how often I masturbated, but it didn't make me less asexual; I wasn't any more interested in having sex with anyone else.

purple_mayfly

This is just for me, and I'm not saying you'll have the same experience. I have poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (I mentioned it on the back-up board) which causes irregular periods (there were times when I would go three months without having one and I had to be given hormones to jump start my cycles again...this happened twice in two years I was trying to have a child...needless to say it was heart breaking each time it happened). I've actually noticed that my sex drive has gone down because my hormones are regulated and my body doesn't go into a spree of OOOOO EGGIE FERTILIZE NOW.

They haven't changed the fact that I'm not sexually attracted to people and while I'm not sex-repulsed I have put more effort into remembering that my partner is very much a sexual person and that just because my hormones have changed his haven't.lol

I've been on Depo Provera (a shot every three months) for about a year now. I get menstrual migraines and really heavy bleeding and all kinds of stuff like that. My story is pretty much the same as the rest: My symptoms got better, buy my sexual orientation hasn't changed. I don't think medicines can change sexual orientation, just libido. But I could be wrong. Good luck!

I'm male and was on testosterone cream for a while, and it increased my libido in terms of how often I masturbated, but it didn't make me less asexual; I wasn't any more interested in having sex with anyone else.

This is about it. I was put on birth control for a while to deal with medical issues (and have recently been put right back on it again... sigh). The first type of pill they had me on increased my libido from non-existent to ever so slightly noticeable in a very confusing way (THIS is what a libido is?? wierd...). However, it did not mean I was magically attracted to anyone. I have never masturbated, and thus never really learned how, so it was a little uncomfortable. But if it had been more long term, then I'm sure I could have learned.

That would be my best suggestion; if it affects your libido, then go ahead and learn how to take pleasure from it. I mean, why not? If you can derive pleasure from something, then embrace it. If it bothers you too much though, then you can also ask to go on different pills; the ones I am on now have not affected my non-libido status, and I'm much more comfortable with them as a result. To me, the libido was just too confusing at a point in my life when I was dealing with way too many other things as well to have time to learn how to enjoy it.

As for changing orientations, that rarely happens due to medications. Medications commonly affect libido, or sex drive, but I have never heard of someone becoming a different orientation because of any kind of medication. I'm sure it has happened; sexuality is fluid. I've just never heard of a case, so I assume it is incredibly rare if it does happen. And hey, if it does happen, then I would suggest exploring your new orientation! No orientation is better or worse than any other, and you're still welcome here on AVEN no matter what, so any changes in anything, be it libido or orientation, should ideally be explored and embraced. It'll doubtless be confusing, just like finding your orientation the first time is, but we are here fro you no matter what :cake:

Hasn't done anything for me, and I have been on for over a decade (body can't regulate hormones).

Taking hormones will definitely have an effect on you, which is why you're taking them. I took them for a year and I had few side effects. It might make you horny, who knows? If you like masturbation, then this isn't a problem. If you don't then it's up to you how you deal with that. But it definitely won't change your orientation. Good luck!

I have been on the pill off and on for years due to health issues. The pills generally lessen my libido. On or off the pill, I have never been attracted to another person. As others have mentioned, everyone reacts to meds differently, but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

House of Chimeras

Was on the pill for three years for hormone reasons (currently off it). It didn't seem to effect libido or anything. However like everyone has said already, everyone's bodies might react to the hormones differently. Also, even if the hormones do effect you in some slight way, being on the pill might still out way not being on the pill. Maybe if anything you could talk to a doctor such as a gynecologist (if you can't already). They might have some suggestions or medical information which might help.

Queen of Aces

Update: these pills are making me sick. I've vomited every morning I've taken them. Any experience with this problem?

Update: these pills are making me sick. I've vomited every morning I've taken them. Any experience with this problem?

What kind of hormone do they have in them? And I had slight morning sickness plus fainting when I began taking the pill for the first time.

I would consult the doctor that put you on those pills. If that's not been cited as a potential side effect of the pill, I would definitely consult the doctor.

Either way, vomited BC surely isn't effective BC.

Either way, vomited BC surely isn't effective BC.

This. All the BC I've ever taken oralls has said that if you've vomited, the BC is less effective and to use other forms of protection.

Well, I don't think the OP is using it for "protection" XD But my statement probably still stands, I think.