When we display the flag vertically

Chewy

Vertical orientation of the flag  

1. 1. Should the black strip be on the right of left?

• Right
    • Left
    • Either

This poll is closed to new votes

Where should the black strip be?

Janus the Fox
Don't know... I feel that the flag should not be placed vertically really... I could represent something totally different from other things.

The black stripe should be on the left vertically, for if you were to rotate it 90°, the black stripe would be on top. Whereas, if the black were on the right vertically, the flag would be upside down if rotated 90°.

hanging up the flag by the metal holes.

Personally, I would think the black strip should be on the left. I noticed the T-shirts for worldpride 2014 had it on the right.

Why are we rotating the flag? o.o;

For one thing: Flags are generally displayed horizontally. So by hanging a flag vertically, it's already rotated. For another: I didn't know how else to explain it.

Hummm, I didn't know this was even an issue. I have no opinion, sorry.

It does matter, otherwise there wouldn't be something called flag etiquette.

Flag etiquette doesn't matter. As long as you don't go around confusing North Korea for South Korea or vice-versa, you're fine.

Hummm, I didn't know this was even an issue. I have no opinion, sorry.

So glad it's not just me. o.o;

The black stripe should be on the left vertically, for if you were to rotate it 90°, the black stripe would be on top. Whereas, if the black were on the right vertically, the flag would be upside down if rotated 90°.

Doesn't that depend on which direction you're rotating it? :) Personally, I'm not a fan of displaying flags vertically in the first place. It just looks a little weird to me.

Sebastian Grace

hanging up the flag by the metal holes.

Personally, I would think the black strip should be on the left. I noticed the T-shirts for worldpride 2014 had it on the right.

The T-shirts were intended to display the flag with the stripes running horizontally, but a technical error left them with the flag rotated. I think that, if the flag were to be hung vertically, the black stripe should be on the left. I like the idea that it could be connected to the unusually high number of left-handed asexuals.

I'd say left, like the majority. Actually, it's interesting that so many pick left. I'm not sure why but I suspect it's for psychological reasons as opposed to personal, aesthetic ones. Hm...

Or maybe people either consciously or subconsciously know the proper way to vertically hang the flag.

We read left to right, so, the black stripe should be on the left, as it's the first stripe on the flag.

We read left to right, so, the black stripe should be on the left, as it's the first stripe on the flag.

Thank you for saying what I wanted, but failed, to say.

Thank you for saying what I wanted, but failed, to say.

Hi Clubsie! How you doing?

I kinda see why, some flag poles are horizontal, usually ones stuck on walls. It also makes flags hang better if it is in a place with no or little wind (say, indoors, for example)

In that case, the black line should go on the side closest to the unsupported end of the flag pole (the top, if the pole was positioned vertically)

• 1 month later...

Our flag has horizontal bands. To display the bands vertically is either discourteous, or changing their meaning to something else. Whilst some people may not notice the curmudgeonly old colonels from my home town would be spluttering into their Gins and writing letters to the local paper signed "disgusted". ( This stereotype really does exist, but I am not one of them)

• 11 months later...

This poll is being locked and moved to the read-only Census Archive for 2014. As part of ongoing Census Forum organization, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, each poll will last for one year. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

Census Moderator

Archived