As an asexual, do you like to be sexually attractive?

verily-forsooth-egads

Not at all. The thought of anyone thinking about me that way really grosses me out. I've never had problems with that, although being 14 that doesn't mean a whole lot. I don't care all that much about aesthetic attractiveness. More than anything, I go for gender neutrality.

I take it as a compliment, I don't think it's gross at all :) I think my parents gave me a nice set of genes and I like taking care of my appearance, so if someone sees me as (sexually) attractive, that's nice! And just because someone thinks you're sexually attractive, that doesn't mean they're about to drag you into their cave and take you to bed haha.

Totally Schwuaat?

I only like to fantasize about being sexually attractive just like my fantasies about sex and romance. When someone finds me sexually attractive, I feel grossed out by it.

This applies to me as well, but I like to "dress to impress" in a sense, because I'm big on aesthetic attraction (e.g. being hygienic, dressing trendy but not too trendy, etc.). To me it simply delineates that someone is taking care of themselves, a sign of maturity in my experience.

That being said, I find it flattering, I just politely let them know I'm not interested. Especially after too many instances like that led to uncomfortable relationships that ended poorly.

No, I abhor the idea of anyone viewing me in a sexual way. I don't like the idea of attracting unwanted sexual interest to myself.

I like to dress attractively, based on my own sense of aesthetics. It has nothing to do with "sexy" and everything to do with how I want to present myself to the world.

aesthetically attractive? yes. sexually attractive? no.

i think words like beautiful or handsome are respectful, but i feel like saying someone is sexy suggests sexual thoughts, and i don't want none of that. nope.

it's like some kind of violation to have someone look at me that way. avert your eyes.

I have a job that requires one to dress the part (I work in a professional environment, I need to look decent and presentable). If someone finds me attractive I'm flattered and take it as a compliment.

It's nice to feel attractive and I don't mind being called 'beautiful', 'hot', 'sexy' or other words along those lines.

Besides, I don't really care what people think, I dress to feel comfortable in my own skin not to impress other people. If people are impressed that's on them, I'm not responsible for their minds. As long as they understand the boundary between thought and action they can think whatever they want and watch me pretend to care.

I'm slowly getting used to being called "hot" and "sexy" by my boyfriend, but it still confuses the heck out of me. I don't really understand the concept of sexiness, so I still get a little uncomfortable because I don't really know what my boyfriend is trying to tell me. Part of it is also that I have body image issues and get really flustered when people comment on my appearance, no matter how positive they're being. So, in an ideal world, people would just not comment on my appearance, but that's obviously not going to happen.

I don't want to be ugly; but on the few occasions I've been called handsome, it kind of freaked me out. I've always wondered why being complimented on your looks is a positive thing; it's mostly genetics and age. Not like it's something I've accomplished.

I know if I ever said that out loud, people would consider me a freak lol

Marshmallow Tree

I like it. In many ways it's advantageous to be found desirable. You've got the whole 'halo-effect' going on and you can pretty much find out what you need to know about a person without them getting suspicious...I never tell people (with the except of three friends) that I'm asexual though; that would make me 'off-limits' and my manipulation wouldn't be as effective ;)

WhenSummersGone

I'm mostly asexual, at least more asexual than sexual when I'm single, and I don't put much effort into my looks. When I do I want to be seen as beautiful rather than sexy. I don't appreciate or like being seen as sexually attractive. I think the way I dress makes it harder to attract a partner which sucks.

I can understand the original poster's premise an personally I believe there is nothing wrong with taking pride in your looks in order to enhance your features.

I recently discovered my love for shoes and my love for hair has been long-running ha

I like to take care of myself but I don't like when I get stared at on the street by people, it makes me feel uncomfortable because it feels like I am conveying the wrong message about myself or something when in reality I look fine (I tend to over think things lol).

I wish people would look deeper than just physical attractiveness.

So all in all...

GO ON WIT CHO BAAAAD SELF!

I never wear make up and always dress in a way that I can feel beautiful before anyone can call me "sexy" or "hot".

Ick!

Thank you to everyone who replied to the topic. It's very interesting to hear everyone's different takes on it and it has helped me sort out my own.

AlwaysADreamer

I think I would like to be attractive in some way, but when I imagine someone trying to get sexual with me I feel REALLY uncomfortable.

Janus the Fox
Don't mind anyone feeling sexually attractive to me, I don't give off those vibes to have that comment made though. Its good for them for finding that interest. :)
Conscientious Ghost

No, I don't like to be sexually attractive as an asexual. It feels uncomfortable to think that someone is imagine me in their bed doing sexual activities. I'm actually fine looking kiddish if that makes sense.

(A)rrogant Avian

I really want to look attractive, because then people will want to talk to me! But I don't put on make up or earrings or anything like that.

editingatwork

Aesthetically attractive, yes; sexually attractive, no. I like to be fit and wear clothes that make my body look good, but anything that draws attention to it sexually (like low-cut shirts, short shorts, short skirts, even high heels, although the last mostly because I find them uncomfortable to walk in) makes me feel exposed. It's difficult to find a balance sometimes, because I like the freedom of tank tops, but it drives me nuts how low-cut many of them are. I squirm at the idea of someone I like finding me sexually attractive, so the idea of someone I don't even know seeing me sexually wigs me out a bit.

No, I don’t want to be sexually attractive. Just the idea that someone might think or feel that way about me is…really uncomfortable and a bit repulsive….If someone does then I prefer if they kept it to themselves because I really don’t want to know. :P

I don’t care that much about being aesthetically attractive either. I take care of my body and always make sure I look decent but that's it. Being beautiful, or good looking, or whatever doesn't matter to me at all. I'm weird that way. shrug.gif

To me looking good, being confident & taking care of yourself is about self love ....not being sexually attractive.

I don't mind being sexually attractive for a lover but you got to like me for me at first.

nerdperson777

Nope. I'm practically a slop at taking care of myself. Everyday is a t-shirt with jeans, exercise pants or shorts. I even forget to brush my hair 90% of the time. Mom keeps telling me that I don't have to be pretty, just look presentable, and I can't even manage that.

To me looking good, being confident & taking care of yourself is about self love ....

Well said. This may sound weird, but my ultimate goal is to come to terms with myself and find myself 'attractive' (whatever that means) - accepting my looks and character comes first, others people's opinions come second (they shouldn't matter at all, but I can't help it ...).

I would like to have an attractive soul, if that makes sense. Being aesthetically attractive is okay, I don't attach much importance to it. Being sexually attractive isn't.

I wouldn't even know how to be sexually attractive.

I don't think I would necessarily consider it to be a bad thing, but it at the same time would likely freak me out if someone did find me to be sexually attractive...

I don't usually try that much but I do like to look nice. It's weird because I like to look nice and don't mind if others think so but when someone compliments me or makes a comment I may be initially thankful but then get very uncomfortable (almost to the point of 'fight or flight' mode).

I'd rather be seen as aesthetically attractive than sexually attractive any day.