a question for heteroromantic aces / graces / demis

tristifere

Do you think "straight asexual" is the same as "heteroromantic asexual"? Do you prefer to ID as one or the other, or do you feel comfortable using both to describe yourself?

FireBendingAce

It honestly just depends on whatever label you're most comfortable with. I personally prefer to say heteroromantic rather than "straight", just because I feel like it is then easier to add on the other parts of my label without confusion, because when most people hear straight, they think "heteroromantic AND heterosexual", so I fear people less familiar with asexuality won't realize that the "straight" part is my romantic orientation.. But that's just me! And it's not like I mind being called "straight" because it's technically still true, It's just not the first thing I would say. I've seem plenty of other people ID as straight aces.

I don't consider myself "straight." I identify as gynoromantic demisexual.

GamerStacey

I prefer heteroromantic myself, because I feel that I'm not "straight" because I am asexual. In fact, I never felt comfortable identifying as straight even when I didn't know asexuality existed because it felt like something was wrong or missing; I didn't hold the same attitude or drive for sex as every other straight person I knew. Heteroromantic asexual just more accurately described me, so I like it.

Yeah I feel straight asexual is the same as hetero-romantic asexual. I'm indifferent between the two terms, and I also consider myself "straight".

SorryNotSorry

The torrent of terminology confuses and irritates me. When people ask me about my sexuality, I just tell them I'm straight but openly asexual.

It's not my job to prevent them from short-circuiting from TMI...

I don't know the term straight in my own language so I wouldn't use it. Hetero romantic is a better term for me. If my orientation ever came up in a conversation I would either say that I am not interested and if they insist on a label I would use asexual. People are far more interested in sexual actions than feelings so I am sort of safe in that regard.

I think heteromantic is more accurate in my case, but I understand what people mean by straight ace. It's essentially the same thing

I think heteromantic is more accurate in my case, but I understand what people mean by straight ace. It's essentially the same thing

Would that mean a "Gay Asexual" is a "Homoromantic Asexual"? I have always assumed the terms "Gay" and "Straight" applied to sexuality not to romanticism but, then again, I didn't know to separate romanticism from sexuality until last fall.

Would that mean a "Gay Asexual" is a "Homoromantic Asexual"? I have always assumed the terms "Gay" and "Straight" applied to sexuality not to romanticism but, then again, I didn't know to separate romanticism from sexuality until last fall.

That's why I think "heteromantic" is more accurate, because it avoids that confusion

Thanks for all your answers!

That's why I think "heteromantic" is more accurate, because it avoids that confusion

I was kinda confused about that too. So I thought I'd better ask heteroromantic asexuals themselves how they think the word straight fits into their identity. Based on these answers, it seems to be a very personal thing whether someone feels it's accurate, though.

I don't know the term straight in my own language so I wouldn't use it.

Is the word in Danish the same as in Dutch, simply shorten the term for heterosexual to "hetero"?

I also dont think there's an equivalent for "straight" in my native language spanish. If someone asks me i say i'm asexual. If they ask for more details, then heteroromantic asexual. I dont think "straight" applies to me because there's a general idea inside most people's heads that romantic and sexual attraction always go together and i dont want to lie by omission.

Do you think "straight asexual" is the same as "heteroromantic asexual"? Do you prefer to ID as one or the other, or do you feel comfortable using both to describe yourself?

I like heteroromantic asexual slightly more, just because I like the concept of being able to imply romance without a sexual side. But having considered myself straight or a not-so-sexual heterosexual up until last week, I still feel like my asexuality is a type of straight because it is still romantically directed towards the opposite sex rather than the same sex. I really feel like considering asexuals with romantic orientations to not be straight, gay, or bi over sexualizes these orientations. I mean, as far as I understand, love and romance are still a primary thing about straight people, it's just that sexual feelings are usually included in it. I also feel like listing asexuality that includes romantic orientations as separate from the straight, gay, bi labels kind of alienates us and treats asexuals like they are other or not a part of the normal population. If sex really isn't so important or necessary in relationships like our asexual feelings tell us, then we should have more in common with our respective sexual straight, gay, or bi counterparts than not.

flesh-pocket

both work fine for me. my sexuality never comes up in conversation, but if it did i'd say i was asexual.

when i first found out i was asexual, it was more off-balancing to think of myself as "not straight" than ace itself.

to-may-to/to-mah-to

Personally, back when I identified as hetero-romantic, I did not feel the word 'straight' described me accurately. To me, the word 'straight' implies something more normative than asexuality, even when hetero-romantic, but that may just be me. Even as a hetero-romantic, I still felt queerer than I did straight, simply because of my asexuality and the marked difference in approach to relationships and life in general than my heterosexual peers.

I don't feel queer but I don't really feel straight......I just feel ace.

Archived