Rant: yes, they ARE the same thing

MoraDollie

I swear if I see one more post/person claiming that omnisexual and pansexual are different, i think I'm going to explode. Omnisexual holds the LATIN prefix for "all" (omni). Pansexual holds the GREEK prefix for "all" (pan). The two words are literally the same thing, just a language difference!

Patrick-Star-Smashing-A-Computer-On-Spon

This is the first time I've ever heard of the word omnisexual. :unsure:

This is the first time I've ever heard of the word omnisexual. :unsure:

I first heard it in 2005 when the Doctor described Capt. Jack Harkness as "omnisexual".

While we're on the subject, can someone explain the difference between bisexual and pansexual to me? I get that there is a difference, I've just never understood it.

While we're on the subject, can someone explain the difference between bisexual and pansexual to me? I get that there is a difference, I've just never understood it.

There are more than two genders. View gender less as a binary and more of a spectrum and it makes it way more apparent what the difference is.

There is more than one gender. View gender less as a binary and more of a spectrum and it makes it way more apparent what the difference is.

So bisexual is more attraction to cis-gendered people? And pan can be anything in between?

move-the-stars-for-no-one

There is more than one gender. View gender less as a binary and more of a spectrum and it makes it way more apparent what the difference is.

So bisexual is more attraction to cis-gendered people? And pan can be anything in between?

No. Bisexual is the sexual and romantic attraction toward both male and females, however being bi can also include those who are non binary or gender fluid or any other gender identification I may be forgetting. Pansexual is the sexual and romantic attraction to any sex or gender. Now I know the definitions are basically the same, but it's all about choice in identification. Some find it easier to identify as pan because of the fact it's latin root comes from all or every. However some choice to identify as bi because of the history it has. Bi people have been doing a lot for the LGBT community.

Bisexual is in no way about cis. By saying that you are saying that trans is a separate gender. It is not. It is still MALE AND FEMALE. Its not cis male and trans female. It's male and female. Unless one identifies as something else.

It all depends on how one defines their sexual path.

ButtCountyDanceParty

Copper, bisexual means the person experiencing the attraction feels it toward two genders. Pansexual has more of a connotation of recognizing the fluidity of gender instead of just two.

So they are pretty much different labels for the same thing? I don't mean to offend anyone, I just want to have the correct definition.

I think it's important to remember that a lot of people define things differently. Most of the time I see bi described as attraction to the same and different genders, and using that definition, it shares the same traits as pansexuality.

They might be etymologically similar but it's always seemed to me like they are used to describe two different things.

Pansexual is used to describe someone who can potentially be attracted to anyone (not the same as being attracted to everyone)

Omnisexual tends to be used as synonymous to "sex addict", to the point where it's someone that'll shag practically anyone that moves.

While "bisexual" does literally mean "attraction to two genders" that is rarely how it is used in practice. Most people I know who self-identify as bisexual describe themselves as "attracted to people for reasons other than/regardless of gender" or "capable of being attracted to people of any gender," both of which are literally word-for-word how pansexual people describe themselves. The only difference is that most people I know who self-identify as pansexual actively hate on bisexual people, claiming that bisexuality is transphobic or exclusive of non-binary people.

Janus the Fox

Uh... bisexual could also mean attraction to both sexes as well in some spaces. As since the two sexes can be mixed, I see the term can cover and encompass everything.

I see the majority use Bisexuality to cover sexes, not gender, it's just semantics on word usage.

Hey, I can be interested regardless of gender or sex, I don't honestly need to detail any further than Bi to use Pan, Omni or whatever else.

I don't see the fuss of needing separation of terms :/

I had the difference explained to me once, but having never met someone who identified this way, I have no way of confirming it. According to the person I spoke with, it's well agreed that both types of people are attracted to people of any gender. However, pan sees gender as part of an individual, while omni is relatively oblivious to it (sort of like an agender equivalent for attraction). In a not 100% realistic example: if you asked a pan person to describe their new significant other, they would probably start off by saying "I just met this lovely girl who..." while an omni person would ramble on about the person and you'd have to pick up their gender through pronouns.

While "bisexual" does literally mean "attraction to two genders" that is rarely how it is used in practice. Most people I know who self-identify as bisexual describe themselves as "attracted to people for reasons other than/regardless of gender" or "capable of being attracted to people of any gender," both of which are literally word-for-word how pansexual people describe themselves. The only difference is that most people I know who self-identify as pansexual actively hate on bisexual people, claiming that bisexuality is transphobic or exclusive of non-binary people.

Uh... bisexual could also mean attraction to both sexes as well in some spaces. As since the two sexes can be mixed, I see the term can cover and encompass everything.

I see the majority use Bisexuality to cover sexes, not gender, it's just semantics on word usage.

Hey, I can be interested regardless of gender or sex, I don't honestly need to detail any further than Bi to use Pan, Omni or whatever else.

I don't see the fuss of needing separation of terms :/

See, this is what I thought for the longest time. But online I always see people prefer to say they are pan, not bi. And I don't personally know anyone who identifies as either to be able to ask. So I always assumed that I can't understand that perspective, the way that some sexual people can't understand the asexual perspective, but accept it anyway. I guess I'll just continue to accept that some people prefer different labels, for whatever reasons they may have.

Archived