asexual - Spoken Word Poem

virtua

This is quite a unique and thought-provoking spoken word poem written and performed by someone expressing their experiences being asexual.

EDIT: Here's the poem interpreted in ASL (American Sign Language).

I've done my best to transcribe the words of the poem and keep the rhythm of the poem in the writing, which I've listed below:

I am 18 and I am sitting and thinking about Venn diagrams

where the circles of people and sexual activity must interlink and in between the space that would be me, only

I don’t like circles.

Because there are things that that line do not define that which are empty spaces and

I dare you to think of me as being anything less than whole just because my equation does not fit your answer, the “a” in my sexuality, despite your belief, does not stand for anomaly.

I am simply human.

I just want to separate the assumption that not being in a sexual relationship does not mean I can’t relate to people so do not persuade me that my sexual persuasion is a phase

that I have not met the right person because your fixation on my romantic inclination is none of your concern. I am not atypical.

I am a typical human being

with thoughts and feelings so I should not have to deal with your shit when you say I’m incapable of being anything other than cold.

That if I am a temple, it is a false religion I preach because there is no god you say that could love me because I do not exist.

So again, I dare you to say that I am broken

to ask me if I am in need of fixing. So I am sitting and thinking

sat on a linear spectrum of physical intimacies that slides for a reason with no empty circles to be seen inside my temple. I am on a pedestal

and you can’t knock me down.

• Like 6

Absolutely beautiful! Spoken word is my favourite style of poetry as it never seems to let me down. Love love love this.

Thank you for sharing!

Fabulous, thanks for sharing and for going to the trouble of providing a transcription! That was quite inspiring.

Fabulous, thanks for sharing and for going to the trouble of providing a transcription! That was quite inspiring.

It really wasn't a trouble to transcribe this. I enjoy doing it since it brings engaging content to a bigger audience.

• 3 months later...